DIY - Rust Proofing help

DIY - Rust Proofing help

Postby Parr on Thu, 03 Jan 2013 7:57 +0000

Hey hey, I'm starting to get a bit of surface rust coming up in some places on the chassis, nothing major but i want to re-rust proof my truck. Last time I had it done I took it in and they sprayed everything, worked a treat. However now with all the work that's done on the truck I don't want some muppet with a spray gun coating all my bling ;) .

I am wondering if any one has had any experience with any products that they would recommend for DIY application, I'm looking for a rust converter style/ primer as well as a rust proof. I would prefer a flat black colour that isn't sticky and is easy to clean as alot of the chassis is exposed with the tray. Ill be using an industrial pressure cleaner on the chassis first to make sure it is well and clean.

Thanks in advance for the help
Parr

Re: DIY - Rust Proofing help

Postby hilux_bondy_007 on Thu, 03 Jan 2013 8:03 +0000

I am interested in this too... Need to rust proof again.
hilux_bondy_007

Postby Luxi46 on Thu, 03 Jan 2013 9:00 +0000

I used this product on the metal splashguard of my bike. It's called POR 15.

http://www.ppcco.com.au/restoration.htm

Above link is for the dealer in Australia, but I got mine from Amazon. It's a very tuff kind of paint.
I liked it especially because it is the only (oil based?) paint I know of that cures around water. It rains alot over here, and there was hardly a dry day when I did the whole job, so i needed a paint that would dry in wet weather and could handle stone chips. I can't show you any pictures of the result, cause I sold that bike a few years ago, but best I can describe it is thicker than normal oilbased paint before application, and hard like porcelain when cured. I think I skipped step 1 and 2 in the above plan, but here's what I did:
1. just scraped loose dirt and rust,
2. used a wirebrush for the finer work
3. wiped it down with paint thinner
4. applied the POR 15 with a small paint roller.

Might be worth looking into for your application. Would look awesome with much of your chassis exposed like that.

Edit: You still have to finish it off with black paint though, as it is a pale gray by itself
Cheers,
Marvin
Luxi46
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Parr on Sat, 05 Jan 2013 5:57 +0000

I was looking at using these products

rust converter
http://www.septone.com.au/detail.asp?item_cat=11&item_number=357&page_num=1

and rust proof
http://www.septone.com.au/detail.asp?item_cat=11&item_number=370&page_num=1

the plan was to paint most of the chassis then use the spray can to do the hard to get places
Parr

Return to Tips & Tricks