Remove Whole Dash

Remove Whole Dash

Postby Redxd on Wed, 20 Jun 2012 5:40 +0000

Hey guys,
My Pioneer AVIC-F40BT just rocked up and i'm very excited to install it this Saturday :D
I have been doing my research on where my speed signal and reverse signal wires are to hook up to (behind the glove box)

What I think i'm going to have issues with is running my GPS signal thingo. Is there a way I can pull the whole dash off (Not just the little section around the radio but i'm talking about the whole dash. Because otherwise its going to be a bitch to try and find a way of laying my GPS cable to the corner of the car(possibly then up the window). I have a 2008 SR5 Dual Cab

Any help on previous installs or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. It has also come with a 'Traffic Tuner' which not sure needs to be placed in an open area like the GPS. Says no where in the instructions that comes with it or online ahah.
Redxd

Re: Remove Whole Dash

Postby StevenS on Wed, 20 Jun 2012 6:42 +0000

Myself and most others I know who have installed indash GPS systems just sit it in the dash above the unit, or up through the centre of the windscreen vents - never had any trouble getting a good GPS signal

I have stripped the entire dash out of my Hilux twice, it's nowhere near as difficult as other cars I have worked on but for what you're doing it is definitely overkill
StevenS

Postby hobo on Wed, 20 Jun 2012 7:55 +0000

'toyota' mounts the GPS antenna on top of the speedo/tacho on a small plate with dst
just the instrument cluster cowling is removed, you can feed the cable through the back of the dash from the doubledin and then you can reach in over the top of the instruments with your fingers to mount it

just mounting it on top of the unit as suggested in the post above sounds easier (as long as you dont pick up interference from the unit
hobo

Postby Redxd on Wed, 20 Jun 2012 10:48 +0000

StevenS wrote:Myself and most others I know who have installed indash GPS systems just sit it in the dash above the unit, or up through the centre of the windscreen vents - never had any trouble getting a good GPS signal

So you dont think there is any need to get like perfect line of sight to the sky?

hobo wrote:'toyota' mounts the GPS antenna on top of the speedo/tacho on a small plate with dst
just the instrument cluster cowling is removed, you can feed the cable through the back of the dash from the doubledin and then you can reach in over the top of the instruments with your fingers to mount it

How can you get up behind the instruments? I havnt tried anything yet but I would guess it would be a bitch with the wheel in your face.
Magnets....Really big magnets
Redxd

Postby StevenS on Thu, 21 Jun 2012 4:13 +0000

Perfect line of sight - no not really. Even the GPS module in my previous car, a Toyota Aurion, had the module inside the dash (factory fitted)

If you think about all the crap the GPS signal needs to pass through between your car and the satellite, a few mm of plastic really will make bugger all difference
StevenS

Postby hobo on Thu, 21 Jun 2012 7:53 +0000

Redxd wrote:How can you get up behind the instruments? I havnt tried anything yet but I would guess it would be a bitch with the wheel in your face.

sit on drivers seat
slide drivers seat all the way back
drop the steering column height adjuster to its lowest setting, lever is obvious underneath of column about level with the indicator/washer stalks
remove instrument surround cowl
there's enough room to fit your fingers around& over the instruments, you dont need to actually get 'behind' the instruments you just slide the antenna over the top & mount - it sounds harder than it is

Redxd wrote:So you dont think there is any need to get like perfect line of sight to the sky?

As Steven wrote, through the dash & windscreen the signal is fine
I wouldnt shag about removing the cowl & mounting the antenna on top of the instruments if you dont have to, it's just how 'toyota' do it.
Try temp mounting on/behind the pioneeer unit first & test it... no need to make more work than you have to ;)
hobo

Postby Redxd on Sat, 30 Jun 2012 12:42 +0000

hobo wrote:sit on drivers seat
slide drivers seat all the way back
drop the steering column height adjuster to its lowest setting, lever is obvious underneath of column about level with the indicator/washer stalks
remove instrument surround cowl
there's enough room to fit your fingers around& over the instruments, you dont need to actually get 'behind' the instruments you just slide the antenna over the top & mount - it sounds harder than it is

So I ended up putting the GPS behind the instruments like Hobo suggested. I used the sticky magnet pad and stuck it on the underside of the actual dash itself. Then the GPS just magnets its self to that and all fine and dandy :D
Magnets....Really big magnets
Redxd

Return to Tips & Tricks