Damaged cable from ARB long range fuel tank install

Damaged cable from ARB long range fuel tank install

Postby TrentD on Fri, 05 Apr 2019 9:31 +0000

Below is current saga i'm having with Toyota and ARB.

- 12/10/2016 Brought new Toyota Hilux

- 21/10/2016 Had a long range fuel tank installed by ARB Welshpool.

- 27/08/2018 - 13/09/2018 Multiple issues with vehicle going into limp mode (only triggered when going on bumpy roads) engine light coming up. (happened Karratha to Alice Spings Trip)

21/09/2018 - 34000km service at Toyota dealership, mentioned above issue. Mechanic tried to fault find problem, indicating the issue was a tire speed sensor for ABS system, causing the vehicle to go into limp mode. couldn't rectify issue, reset fault codes and told to return vehicle if issue persists.

15/03/2019 - 30/03/2019 - Same issue above returns, happening more frequently.

01/04/2019 - Vehicle returned to Toyota service department, told by assistance service manager that its possible when the long range fuel tank was installed, that they damaged the cable running to the LHS rear tire speed sensor. Obvious if its caused by the long range fuel tank installation by ARB, Toyota will deny the warranty claim.

01/04/2019 - Contacted ARB Welshpool, they believe they won't be liable since its outside of there warranty and the issue didn't present it's self straight away.

01/04/2019 - Told dealer to proceed with removing fuel tank and documenting/capturing cause of speed sensor failure.

02/04/2019 - Dealership contacted me, stating the cable was damaged by the installation of the long range fuel tank (photos show that the cable got caught between chassis and tank), and rubbed through. Toyota denied warranty claim and I got charged)

What do you guys reckon? would ARB be liable? for repair cost? Contacted ACCC, to see what they reckon. Heard a few horror stories about ARB dodgy installs, should of fitted it myself!

Cheers
TrentD

Re: Damaged cable from ARB long range fuel tank install

Postby ggreenie on Fri, 05 Apr 2019 10:46 +0000

If you get nowhere with the ARB store go to the head office. They’re pretty good with their customer service in my experience. There’s some dodgy stores around though...

Good luck
ggreenie

Postby numberplate on Sat, 06 Apr 2019 4:39 +0000

from experience with the local ARB store , they use the cheapest pimply faced d head they can find and call him an experienced accessory fitter. as greenie said take it up with head office with all your evidence .
numberplate

Postby TrentD on Sat, 06 Apr 2019 5:06 +0000

Cheers for reply, yeah i'll collect all the documentation and email ARB head office, see what there response will be!

Talking to a work mate when he had work done by ARB through a dealer, they screwed up twice. First was installing a battery tray (3rd battery) in his 200 series, they managed to kink the return fuel line from the injectors to the fuel filter. Apparently this caused a few engine fires! Also they completely damaged the wiring for one of his headlights when installing the bullbar. Lucky it was organised by a Toyota dealership, so he managed to claim it on warranty.

I'll keep you guys posted on progress and upload photos from dealer when i get back home.
TrentD

Postby Bushwalker8 on Sat, 06 Apr 2019 7:43 +0000

Clearly negligence from the ARB install. Whilst the cabling isn't easy to see up to the left of my frontier tank the loom does have enough space for a clear run and after my install I did a double check that it was all free and not caught up or stressed and it wasn't that hard to confirm.
It's also potentially a safety/liability issue spuriously dropping into limp home.
The minimum I would expect is all costs back, and if they were half reasonable some kind of sweetener for your trouble.
Bushwalker8

Postby TOYZX on Sat, 06 Apr 2019 1:27 +0000

I fit these tanks on a regular basis and have never had an issue. However I got called to the local Toyota stealership a while back as they have had a couple of utes with this issue that they had fitted tanks to in their workshop. When I went to inspect the problem it turned out simply to be installer error! In the fitting institutions you can clearly see in the pics that the looms runs along side the tank but they had not moved it and it got crushed between the tank the chassis. Get Toyota to take some pics and go see the arb fitter, they are responsible!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby Myralga on Sat, 06 Apr 2019 8:37 +0000

TOYZX wrote:I fit these tanks on a regular basis and have never had an issue. However I got called to the local Toyota stealership a while back as they have had a couple of utes with this issue that they had fitted tanks to in their workshop. When I went to inspect the problem it turned out simply to be installer error! In the fitting institutions you can clearly see in the pics that the looms runs along side the tank but they had not moved it and it got crushed between the tank the chassis. Get Toyota to take some pics and go see the arb fitter, they are responsible!

X2

Sounds like installation error. Make enough noise it will get fixed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Postby TrentD on Mon, 08 Apr 2019 6:40 +0000

Photos of installation

TrentD

Postby TOYZX on Tue, 09 Apr 2019 5:25 +0000

Yep, installed wrong! Judging by the dirt marks it looks like it's been removed, refitted and still put in wrong. People need to learn how to read!

TOYZX

Postby TrentD on Thu, 02 May 2019 8:55 +0000

Success ARB reimbursed me the full amount of the repair!
TrentD

Postby taresk on Fri, 03 May 2019 12:30 +0000

Great to hear you had a win, I used to be an installer for the local ARB franchise (long since closed), I know for us if any issue was caused by our install, we'd always fix it, we even rectified a few dodgy installs by other shops.
Word of mouth makes or breaks a business, I don't understand why some shops try to palm off issues like that.
taresk

Return to Warranty/Recalls