Extended Toyota Warranty

Extended Toyota Warranty

Postby Deuscartel on Tue, 18 Sep 2018 3:21 +0000

My SR5 4x4 Hilux was one of the current generation that was first off the boat.

100,000km 3yr factory warranty expires at the end of October 2018. She has done 62,000km, 3 tail shafts and had front disks machined twice.

I’m thinking about getting the factory extended warranty, it works out at roughly $500 per year, I spoke to my local Toyota about extending the factory new car warranty here is what they said:
1. It’s the same warranty just extended for 1, 2 or 3 years, your choice.
2. You can choose to add up to 50,000km with whatever years you add to the warranty.
3. You must still be in original new car warranty to extend the warranty and under 90,000km.
4. There is no discount in servicing (Toyota advantage) like when you first bought the car.
5. 3yrs extension (no additional KMs) $1300
6. 3yrs extension with added 50,000km $1450
7. Factory extended warranty is transferrable if vehicle is sold privately

I found out about this, as I bought a little Yaris as my daily driver, and the previous owner mentioned the extended warranty. (I work from home, and do the kids school runs ect.)

I’m still slightly on the fence, but leaning towards dropping the cash. BTW this offer is available to all Toyota’s under new car warranty.

And No... it don’t work for Toyota ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deuscartel

Re: Extended Toyota Warranty

Postby ih8ubarney on Tue, 18 Sep 2018 8:34 +0000

dont know if its worth the cash and the repeated trips to toyota, got my lux in april 2016, now got 37000k on the clock.
drive shaft took at least 8 months from apparently ordering
been back 5 times about the brakes, front rotors machined, rears, once but it was too feint for them to notice, fronts machined again then the last time they did something with the drums again... havent seen the paperwork on that yet.
main service tech tries to fob me off nearly every time.... with some excuse (he doesnt seem to like me). second last time i went he came out when i dropped the car off to tell me toyota wouldn't be replacing my rotors no matter how many times i come back but i could buy some and they would fit them for free.... picked up the car and service lady ill call you in 10 days and if its still happening they will get replaced....
takes a while to come back each time so i missed my 10 day window.

Im hopeful its actually fixed now, but don't have high hopes it will last. think i will just take it somewhere else and pay to get them fixed if it comes back cause im sick of dealing with .... beaten
ih8ubarney

Postby Deuscartel on Wed, 19 Sep 2018 2:19 +0000

Yeah, I get the same sort of treatment at the service department. They must get docked bonuses or something for less warranty claims?!

The only reason I’m thinking about extending is for any big ticket items that may need replacing.

But yes, I too don’t appreciate the attitude when I ask for something to be looked at, I’ve always thought when people try and talk over you (especially when your the customer) and are very dismissive of questions, there is either financial incentives going on, or they are out if their depth and and don’t know.

Deuscartel

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 19 Sep 2018 6:06 +0000

As far as I know the dealers get some ridiculous low return from Toyota (something like $30 + parts) for warranty jobs so it is not attractive for them to do warranty jobs hence the duck shove when you ask for something.
Just as an example, after 1 year my Aurion rear muffler rusted (yeah I know... Aren't they stainless steel?.. NO they're not) and the dealer argued they were not a warranty item! Until I jumped up and down on the service counter, then suddenly they were a warranty item :D and how long does it take to fit a rear muffler? And how many technical folks? Well it couldn't be more than 5 minutes and at least 3 technical support guys!

I wouldn't part with $500 per year when you know they won't fix anything!

As for brakes, the vibe here is fit dbr slotted rotors and Bendix pads... No more shimmy shakes ;) and probably a lot cheaper than $500 per year :lol:
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby ih8ubarney on Wed, 19 Sep 2018 9:44 +0000

yeah big ticket items... for me the DPF is my only worry long term. so far... I haven't had to go back to toyota for DPF problems "touch wood"

i imagine alot of DPF's will disappear post warranty as it will be uneconomical to replace them
ih8ubarney

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 19 Sep 2018 10:35 +0000

Well Toyota needs to fix this as it is a known issue and will still be an issue post warranty. I imagine the prospects of a class action will make Toyota sit up and take notice.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby adamkberger on Fri, 21 Sep 2018 5:03 +0000

This is an interesting topic for me as I bought my Hilux in Oct 15 and was delivered in Nov 15. Mine is now coming up on 3 years but I have the extended warranty already through my dealership. Since I didn't pay for the extended warranty, I'm in two minds as to whether to keep up the servicing or start doing it myself. My Lux has only 23,000km on it, so I don't know if there are any problems that may occur from kms vs age. Recently I've noticed some vibrations under heavy braking. Could this a rotor problem or tyre balance problem? As regard to the DPF, I honestly believe that half thee problems people have are due to not driving long enough distances. I make a point of driving my Lux a long distance at least once a week. So far I haven't had any issues. I do notice that when I do a lot of driving around town, the DPF does active regenerate a lot and seems to do it almost every time I drive until I go out on the freeway.
2015 SR5 2.8 Dual Cab Hilux
adamkberger

Postby grunf on Fri, 21 Sep 2018 8:27 +0000

You “honestly” believe that owners are to blame for dpf issues because they are not taking the car for a long drive!?!?!?
And you “make a point” in taking a car for a long drive at least once a week?!

Mate, its not a fu*king dog, it’s a car and it should not have to be taken daily or weekly for a walk/drive in order to function normally.
Far out....
Last edited by grunf on Sat, 22 Sep 2018 5:17 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
18 SR auto, Bullbar, winch, Snorkel, Towbar, TowPro, Stedi LED’s, Dobinsons GVM upgrade, Steel tray, Aluminium Canopy, ARB on-board air compressor, Diff breathers, BFG MT KM3 265/70-R17, Uneek4x4 rocksliders, Frontier LR fuel tank etc
grunf

Postby numberplate on Sat, 22 Sep 2018 4:47 +0000

Toyota just love to blame owners for failing DPFs. If the owners are at fault for living in a suburban area then Toyota is more at fault for selling them a DPF equipped car in a suburban area , knowing it is not suitable for the owners intended living conditions.
Besides , plenty of owners here in rural areas still have failing DPFs , so it has to be a design issue
numberplate

Postby Godzilla73 on Sat, 22 Sep 2018 6:10 +0000

adamkberger wrote:I have the extended warranty already through my dealership. Since I didn't pay for the extended warranty,

Most dealership "warranty" extensions only cover up to $1000 and are "given away" on the condition you have the car serviced at that dealership... it's basically just a piss in the customers pocket exercise to get you to do a deal.
Godzilla73

Postby Phrancis on Sat, 22 Sep 2018 7:02 +0000

grunf wrote:You “honestly” believe that owners are to blame for dpf issues because they are not taking the car for a long drive!?!?!?
And you “make a point” in taking a car for a long drive at least once a week?!

Mate, its not a fu*king dog, it’s a car and it should not have to be taken daily or weekly for a walk/drive in order to function normally.
Far out....

Copy That

The car works for ME!!
Phrancis

Postby ih8ubarney on Sat, 22 Sep 2018 8:31 +0000

yea i reckon the not driving far/ long enough is a cop out.... my daily work day drive to work is less than 13km..... then it sits at work all day and i drive 13ks home, weekend use this time of year doesnt involve any long drives. I've had one occasion maybe 12 months ago where the car blew that white smokey exhaust (thought i was in for a visit to toyota) but it cleared after about 4kms and I've been waiting for it to re-occur... i haven't had another problem.
for added detail i drive the car like you should be able to... where ever and when ever i want to and i don't think I'e ever left it running cause it was mid burn.... if its doing a burn when i arrive at my destination the car goes off.

I would have thought the type of driving i do would have been more likely to cause more issues with the DPF
ih8ubarney

Postby Deuscartel on Mon, 24 Sep 2018 1:30 +0000

Godzilla73 wrote:
adamkberger wrote:I have the extended warranty already through my dealership. Since I didn't pay for the extended warranty,

Most dealership "warranty" extensions only cover up to $1000 and are "given away" on the condition you have the car serviced at that dealership... it's basically just a piss in the customers pocket exercise to get you to do a deal.

Yes, to confirm I am talking about the extended warranty directly from Toyota, not from the dealer.

I had to clarify this with the dealer as the 2nd hand Yaris I bought had an extra 3 yrs warranty that was included in the sale to the original owner who I purchased the car off (at the same dealership). I went on the Toyota website it stated that the extended warranty was transferable. So guns blazing I hit up the monkeys at the service department. I was told that the dealer 3yr extended warranty was pretty much worthless, the only major benefit was a small discount on services. They flat out denied that I could extend my factory warranty for the Hilux, I had to speak to a slightly ‘cleverera’ monkey in the finance department to confirm that.

If you meet the ‘rules’ the factory new car warranty can be extended before your new car warranty expires.ImageImage

Deuscartel

Postby Godzilla73 on Mon, 24 Sep 2018 8:32 +0000

That's interesting because the bozo that was trying to sell me everything from insurance for my insurance (not a typo) to tinted windows at the bargain price of $1200 told me I had to buy the warranty before I got the keys at prices far higher than you mention... I'll investigate further into ownership...
Godzilla73

Postby Deuscartel on Mon, 24 Sep 2018 10:39 +0000

I can only assume they get commission for everything that passes through them... pity that there seems to be more of what passes through all of us coming out of their mouths!

Deuscartel

Postby fracturedranga on Mon, 24 Sep 2018 9:37 +0000

I'd look into the consumer law on his before I forked out cash, if they offer an extended warranty that means the vehicle is reasonably expected to last for that amount of time/km. So you should really get that extra for nothing you'd just have to fight a bit to get it
fracturedranga

Postby HK1837 on Tue, 25 Sep 2018 6:03 +0000

ih8ubarney wrote:yeah big ticket items... for me the DPF is my only worry long term. so far... I haven't had to go back to toyota for DPF problems "touch wood"

i imagine alot of DPF's will disappear post warranty as it will be uneconomical to replace them

My brother in law had a DPF fail in his 2006-8-ish ST-X D40 Navara (auto Navaras had them back then). It was probably 7 years old at the time and way out of warranty. It collapsed internally during a creek crossing, and the car wouldn't start as it was basically blocked. From memory it was like $6=7k to replace and there were none in Australia. The funny thing was his Insurance covered it!
HK1837

Return to Warranty/Recalls