1gd engine knock

1gd engine knock

Postby Mattvan on Wed, 15 Jun 2016 6:38 +0000

My new 2.8 1gd hilux developed a noticeable knock at idle, have taken it back to get checked out and Toyota Australia said to replace the engine. But there's no engines in Australia and will take a month to get one then schedule time to change in over (Toyota only sell long motors usually come with injectors, fuel pump and water pump only, no manifolds etc) so as you could imagine I'm pissed as vehicle has only done 13K now it's getting the engine pulled out. It doesn't seem to be a common problem having my own mechanical repair business I've asked around to see if anyone else has come across a noisy one even other Toyota workshops but none as of yet anyway. If you own one and have noticed it getting louder it would pay to have a trained ear to listen to your engine they are normally a quite engine at idle for a diesel. Other than that they are a great ute and hopefully the issue with mine is a one off.
Mattvan

Re: 1gd engine knock

Postby timboandbailey on Wed, 15 Jun 2016 7:01 +0000

2005-2009 injector issues ring a bell....sorry to hear ya probs champ but honestly can't believe people are buying the totally new toyota hilux with such passion before all the kinks are ironed out...happened once before...will happen numerous times more
timboandbailey

Postby Ryan1kd on Wed, 15 Jun 2016 8:06 +0000

Going from my experience as a diesel mechanic, now involved in maintenance and purchasing for a large logistics company, it doesn't matter whether it's Cummins, Detroit, cat, Toyota, Ford, or whether it's a $350000 kenworth or a $60000 Toyota. They all have the one in 1000 failures. Toyota make a fantastic engine, as do the above mentioned, but the odds have been against you. They will sort it out...it's what the warranty is for.
Ryan1kd

Postby dazza609 on Sun, 20 Dec 2020 7:14 +0000

Hi, sorry to bring up an old post, my Dec 2016 hilux has developed a loud knocking/rattle at idle, at times it can go away but is normally there. Have had a mechanic call in a flutter but didn't say much else, has always been serviced by Toyota and now has 90k km Toyota have done a cold start and replaced timing chain sprocket which seemed to bring up another small vibration under acceleration now.

But this knock/rattle annoys me as to me its very loud and this motor shouldn't be this loud.

Hilux has 6yrs warrenty

Any info to go back to Toyota with would be great.

Thanks
dazza609

Return to Warranty/Recalls