FOG lights on a SR

FOG lights on a SR

Postby NewHiluxOnOrder on Tue, 29 Mar 2022 3:25 +0000

I wanted to put fog lights similar to Sr5 on my SR.
If I can get some second hand from a Sr5 I will consider.
Or
I have found suitable led fogs from alibaba.
A simple wiring kit goes battery to switch to relay to lights.
I plan on going to ignition fuse with piggyback fuse instead of directly on the battery. Then the fogs can just stay on permanently when vehicle is on, with my switch left on.

I prefer the aftermarket alibaba option, to ensure no bulbs errors. Easier to keep all the wiring separate and not use any existing factory wiring?

If I did find factory fogs, what kind of wiring kit is needed and is there a stock switch in the SR?
NewHiluxOnOrder

Re: FOG lights on a SR

Postby witherz on Tue, 29 Mar 2022 7:50 +0000

Not sure if it has changed in the recent models, but from what I understand the switch for the fog lights is on the indicator stalk in the SR5, but not there in the SR, so you would need to change that out. Then tracing back from there you would probably have to find a fuse and relay, maybe some other connector/connection that needs to be made?
The easy part is that the plugs are up-front so you can easily plug a light in, it's the hooking up the power part that will be tricky if you want to use factory. I think there are a couple of others that have looked into this but not seen anyone get it fully working.

Not sure about pricing, but I know stedi make a few different fog lights to fit different mounts, could be worth checking out. Are you keeping the front bumper or putting on a bar?
witherz

Postby NewHiluxOnOrder on Wed, 30 Mar 2022 5:13 +0000

Just keeping the front bumper.
On the Sr. The little black things, can you pop out the small hole to put a standard fog light in the circle hole?
That might change what I install.
NewHiluxOnOrder

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 30 Mar 2022 5:58 +0000

Not sure in each state but fog lights are illegal to use if there's no fog and also illegal in the day. My sr5 has them of course and really they're like an ashtray on a motorcycle... Totally useless even in a total whiteout... Just a gimmick. Doesn't gen8 have DRLs? Isn't that enough?
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Return to Exterior Mods