AFN Bar

AFN Bar

Postby DaveO2121 on Sun, 01 Apr 2018 2:41 +0000

Hi all,

Looking at buying an AFN front bar. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them? Strength, protection, general issues? Looking at these guys because of space issues in my shed, most bars stick out too far and from what I’ve seen the AFN doesn’t have as much of an issue. TIA
DaveO2121

Re: AFN Bar

Postby CB23 on Sun, 01 Apr 2018 3:03 +0000

Not my experience, but spoke to a guy down the beach who has one on his Gen 8 and he's had no issues.

Uneek, Rival and Rhino are other options with minimal overhang but less bars on top.
CB23

Postby Dean90 on Tue, 03 Apr 2018 8:01 +0000

I’m super happy with mine....very strong and well built bar. Handled a trip to cape York with no issues of fatigue cracking or anything. The only downsides in my eyes...the space for mounting lighting is quite limited to small spotlights or a 24” light bar, and the rubber seals that sit between the bar and the headlights are hard to get to sit right.
Dean90

Postby Dean90 on Tue, 03 Apr 2018 8:12 +0000

I’m super happy with mine....very strong and well built bar. Handled a trip to cape York with no issues of fatigue cracking or anything. The only downsides in my eyes...the space for mounting lighting is quite limited to small spotlights or a 24” light bar, and the rubber seals that sit between the bar and the headlights are hard to get to sit right.
Dean90

Postby Chet on Sun, 29 Apr 2018 11:48 +0000

Are they hard to install ?
Chet

Postby Deuscartel on Fri, 29 Jun 2018 8:49 +0000

I had one installed last week, super happy with it[emoji1377]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deuscartel

Postby Deuscartel on Wed, 03 Oct 2018 10:19 +0000

Following my last post:
I ordered an AFN bull bar, steps & scrub bars in March 2018. It took over 6 months to finally have them delivered and installed.

I waited for over 3 months from ordering to be booked in for the install. Only to be told (at the last hr) that there was no fitting bolts and accessories for the steps and scrub bars. I had to load up the steps and bars (I live 2 hrs away from shop) and was told that the missing components would be in the mail next week...

After waiting another 13 weeks I have finally had my AFN side steps & scrub bars fitted. In the finish AFN told me I had to wait for the factory in Portugal to come back from summer break until I had any hope of receiving the missing components.

The AFN distributor didn’t do me any favours. I’m pretty sure they didn’t act when I first told them of the missing components. The first 4 weeks of replies were “they should have been in the box.” “Are you sure they are not in there?”

The boys at Mitchell Brothers 4x4 Brookvale NSW did help me out and fitted the steps and scrub bars at no charge.

I did ask them if they fitted much AFN gear? they told me they had another 2 bars going in this week, and they do plenty of them.

To be honest I was less then impressed waiting the first 3 months after order, but after the ‘great’ customer experience for AFN Australia I couldn’t blame the boys.

So after over 6 months 2 cancelled 4x4 trips, 3 days in total - driving to shop, driving home with unfitted steps - storing steps for 3 months, loading on the roof & driving back again, I have finally got the AFN gear on the Hilux.

Would I recommend the AFN gear?
Yes, (there are a few small areas of improvement) - make sure you order them at least 3 months before any planned trips and hope that all the components are in the package, and don’t ask them for any fitting instructions - they won’t give you any.

The thing that gets me is we pay good money for this type of gear. It’s not like we hand over ‘average’ or ‘delayed’ money when we buy/order it. I know it’s good money, It was earn’t by working hard, it was put aside/hidden/saved with more good money.

Sure this maybe a one off, but this type of ‘service’ seems to becoming the norm in retail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deuscartel

Postby Bob P on Wed, 03 Oct 2018 8:47 +0000

For what its worth for WA folk I ordered one direct online to be told they wanted to charge extra for delivery

I live 30 km south of Perth and this incurred an additional charge because of my remoteness, so I cancelled the order
Bob P

Return to Exterior Mods