Canopy choices...

Re: Canopy choices...

Postby chevaps on Thu, 01 Nov 2018 5:50 +0000

Can anyone with a genuine SR5 canopy (i.e. A-Deck version) confirm if there is any internal bracing or support (eg. tubes). If someone could post an internal photo of one installed it would be greatly appreciated.

In one of Toyota's canopy brochures, there is a photo that clearly shows the J-Deck version with tube frames for roof support.

Thanks.

Tom
chevaps

Postby Bushwalker8 on Sun, 04 Nov 2018 11:52 +0000

Both the OEM A & J deck canopy have the same light box section tube mounted across the center fastened to the tops of the side window frames. The side window frames in both are not metal braced to the base (just set within the canopy material) so it's not a load carrying arrangement.

Probably adds some stiffness to prevent canopy flexing, and in mine the box section tubing also supports the central locking and alarm cable across the canopy.

Any photo's you see with load bearing heavy round tubing support frames bolted with heavy brackets across both sides of the tray at front and rear of the canopy are for the canopy roof rack option, the arrangement is identical A & J. We looked closely at both before deciding.

They obviously also add considerable rigidity to the canopy generally but the overall arrangement is a very heavy & expensive option.
Bushwalker8

Postby mcflux on Sat, 09 Feb 2019 8:15 +0000

I recently had a TJM canopy fitted, as per http://www.tjm.com.au/en-oceania/produc ... eries=1837

Specs:
* Material: Fibreglass
* Thickness: 5mm
* Smooth, high gloss exterior Finish
* Sliding Front Window
* Size: Dual & Extra Cab Available
* Roof Height: Midline
* Brake Light: Yes (???)
* UV Resistant: Yes
* Roof Rack Mounts: Pad reinforcing 300 x 300mm x 1.3mm, AS 1235; 2000 100kg rated
* Glass: Tempered safety glass
* Security: Rear door & side lift-up window- double pozi catch-latch & locking handles
* Water Barrier: Customised rubber seal with encapsulated foam core provides impenetrable water barrier

Two of the winning factors for me were the TJM canopy doesn't need the top lip of my existing tub liner cut off for installation, and there's a sliding window at the front of the canopy that can act as a vent. I opted for a sliding driver's side window and a lift-up passenger side window for versatility.

I've tacked a Bluetooth temperature sensor with a high temperature alarm to the ceiling, as we take the dogs on roadtrips with us semi-regularly. Depending on the canopy temperature with the vent window & slide-out window both open, I might fit an evaporative fan to keep dogs cool. For safety I used to tie the dogs to the headboard with chest harnesses, but now that the headboard's been removed I'll fit a removable cable across the tub that the dogs could use as a runner, rather than give them free reign to the entire tub, especially if we store some shopping or an esky near the tailgate!

I might paint or contact-cover the interior as it came unpainted.

Total cost (incl some additional labour to massage out the majority of a large ding in the tub 1/4) came to $3400.

2016 SR HiRider - <Thread>
Factory Options: Premium bullbar, tub liner, tow pack
Additions: IPF900 spotlights + 20" LED bar, tint, TJM canopy
mcflux

Postby adamkberger on Sat, 09 Feb 2019 12:42 +0000

chevaps wrote:Can anyone with a genuine SR5 canopy (i.e. A-Deck version) confirm if there is any internal bracing or support (eg. tubes). If someone could post an internal photo of one installed it would be greatly appreciated.

In one of Toyota's canopy brochures, there is a photo that clearly shows the J-Deck version with tube frames for roof support.

Thanks.

Tom

Here's some pictures of the A deck supports for you. These only come with the rook rack kit.

2015 SR5 2.8 Dual Cab Hilux
adamkberger

Postby specwarop on Sun, 03 May 2020 7:14 +0000

As anyone had any experience with CanopiesWA?
They seem like a reasonable product and I was quoted $3390 installed and coloured.
specwarop

Previous

Return to Exterior Mods