Gen 8 SR5 Tub on SR

Gen 8 SR5 Tub on SR

Postby Mattstopel on Fri, 24 Jun 2016 12:00 +0000

Hi Guys,

I am picking up my SR DC Hilux on Tuesday and i am already looking into putting a SR5 tub onto it.

The car already has a Soft cover on it and would like to use the same one again on it if i were to swap. I am aware the SR5 tub has the roll bars that will impact how the cover rails mount.

But what i would really like to know is can the SR Cover be used on the SR5 tub with some modifications? has anone had any experience with this?

Cheers

**Title edited for clarity - The Mod Team
Mattstopel

Re: Gen 8 SR vs SR5 Tub

Postby john253a on Fri, 24 Jun 2016 2:04 +0000

To my knoladge there not even close
Same as earlier model, sr tub has the hooks around the outside and sr5 had press studs,
So new tub means new cover
farting is alot like jxxxxxg off. both provide instant gratification, but neither is a long term solution to the actual problem......................
john253a

Postby Tigesinaus on Sun, 26 Jun 2016 1:58 +0000

Yep. the two tubs are different dimensions. I had an SR5 tub fitted to my SR to put the new canopy on.
Tigesinaus

Postby Mattstopel on Sun, 26 Jun 2016 8:36 +0000

Thanks for confirming guys!
Mattstopel

Postby mcflux on Sun, 26 Jun 2016 3:47 +0000

To add to this, I have an SR5 sport bar fitted to my SR tub, and (internally) the SR tub is wider - the sport bar was s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d out when bolted on. Hopefully it never has to come off otherwise whoever's working on it will likely have their teef smashed in! :mrgreen:
2016 SR HiRider - <Thread>
Factory Options: Premium bullbar, tub liner, tow pack
Additions: IPF900 spotlights + 20" LED bar, tint, TJM canopy
mcflux

Postby Patdin on Tue, 26 Jul 2016 12:58 +0000

mcflux wrote:To add to this, I have an SR5 sport bar fitted to my SR tub, and (internally) the SR tub is wider - the sport bar was s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d out when bolted on. Hopefully it never has to come off otherwise whoever's working on it will likely have their teef smashed in! :mrgreen:
So sr5 bars do fit on the Sr but it's a stretch??
Patdin

Postby mcflux on Thu, 28 Jul 2016 11:43 +0000

Yep, as per my pic -->

My SR5 sport bar was recently removed to fit a tub light to it & whilst still the bar was still slightly too small for the SR tub the fitters said it was far easier to refit, given it had been on for about 5 months already.
2016 SR HiRider - <Thread>
Factory Options: Premium bullbar, tub liner, tow pack
Additions: IPF900 spotlights + 20" LED bar, tint, TJM canopy
mcflux

Postby Mattstopel on Thu, 28 Jul 2016 3:01 +0000

Nothing a small spacer or washers won't fix to reduce the stretch
Mattstopel

Replacing SR tub with SR5 tub

Postby will1gle on Fri, 23 Sep 2016 3:59 +0000

Hi Guys,
Just looking at replacing my 2016 Hilux SR tub with a SR5 tub.
Purely for appearance as i'm going to fit a canopy and couldn't justify spending the extra $$ for the SR5 model.
Can anyone help me with the re-fit.
Will the reversing camera on the SR5 tub just transfer over and can you get the central locking to work on the tailgate :?:
Cheers
will1gle

Postby Rocket55 on Fri, 23 Sep 2016 5:40 +0000

Threads merged.

Will1gle please use the search function before starting duplicate threads
Cheers Rod
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Bitumen ...... another waste of public funds
Rocket55

Postby coshea on Tue, 10 Jan 2017 5:04 +0000

Hopefully this gets seen here! Didn't want to start a new thread.

Im looking at getting a '16 4x4 SR. I'd like to fit the SR5 tub/ A type deck....for aesthetic reasons if I add a canopy.

MY QUESTIONS -
1. Should the dealer be able to offer the A type deck instead of standard SR A Type?
&
2. Is there any difference in wheel arches?....like with the SR5 A type deck match the existing arches/flares of the SR??

Hope that makes sense and someone can help! :)
coshea

Postby Kris NT on Tue, 10 Jan 2017 7:59 +0000

I may have an SR5 tub for sale in 2-3 weeks if all goes well with a new tray.
If your any where near Darwin :mrgreen:
If it has tits or wheels ....it'll cost ya money
Kris NT

Postby GleamingShadow on Thu, 12 Jan 2017 1:05 +0000

coshea wrote:Hopefully this gets seen here! Didn't want to start a new thread.

Im looking at getting a '16 4x4 SR. I'd like to fit the SR5 tub/ A type deck....for aesthetic reasons if I add a canopy.

MY QUESTIONS -
1. Should the dealer be able to offer the A type deck instead of standard SR A Type?
&
2. Is there any difference in wheel arches?....like with the SR5 A type deck match the existing arches/flares of the SR??

Hope that makes sense and someone can help! :)

Hey mate,

I got a 4x4 SR at the end of November and asked for a tab swap from the dealer. Didn't pay anything extra.

Often the dealer just has stock of SR5 dual cabs w. tubs, and if the customer wants a tray they swap it out. There is a high chance of getting it done through the dealer the bigger they are as they are likely to have a whole pile of them awaiting collection.
Should also take note of what colour vehicle you are after as it might be harder to find a 'premium' paint tub lying around.

Got this from a post on another forum (http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=107447):

"On the A-deck the well from top to floor is approx 22 inches and the wheel wells are 14 inches high where a J-deck is approx 18 inches deep and the wheel wells are about 10 inches deep."
GleamingShadow

Sr5 tray on an SR

Postby squireocallaghan on Mon, 09 Oct 2017 6:35 +0000

Has anyone out there put an SR5 tray on an SR??
Will the guide lines on the reverse camera be much different from the SR to SR5 as the SR5 camera location is off centre.
squireocallaghan

Re: Gen 8 SR5 Tub on SR

Postby DeadlyBeast on Mon, 09 Oct 2017 6:45 +0000

Threads merged
DeadlyBeast

Re: Sr5 tray on an SR

Postby coshea on Thu, 12 Oct 2017 5:33 +0000

squireocallaghan wrote:Has anyone out there put an SR5 tray on an SR??
Will the guide lines on the reverse camera be much different from the SR to SR5 as the SR5 camera location is off centre.

Definitely don't align - see centre mark vs tow ball.

Personally not an issue, use my mirrors and just check depth on the camera :)

coshea

Postby HiluxAU on Tue, 17 Apr 2018 12:11 +0000

Hi,

Just a couple of questions as i cant seem to find any topics covering some specifics of the tub swaps and i didn't want to start a new thread, hopefully someone will find my post!

i Have a 2017 4x4 dual cab with a dent in the tub.. Rather than getting it fixed at a great expense i plan on just swapping the entire tub with an SR5 one off of gumtree as they seem to be selling pretty cheap. All my research points to the swap being possible because all the mounts etc are in the same spots however..

Do the Fuel fillers line up?

Are the brake lights a straight swap?

Does the SR5 tub have a lock on the tailgate and if so do i need an extra key?

Does the rear step/bumper swap and are they interchangeable on either tub as i will have a spare?

And finally, will i be able to swap the reversing camera from my SR tub onto the SR5 without it being off center?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Regards.

L
HiluxAU

Postby fortunato_0d on Wed, 22 May 2019 8:53 +0000

HiluxAU wrote:Hi,

Just a couple of questions as i cant seem to find any topics covering some specifics of the tub swaps and i didn't want to start a new thread, hopefully someone will find my post!

i Have a 2017 4x4 dual cab with a dent in the tub.. Rather than getting it fixed at a great expense i plan on just swapping the entire tub with an SR5 one off of gumtree as they seem to be selling pretty cheap. All my research points to the swap being possible because all the mounts etc are in the same spots however..

Does the rear step/bumper swap and are they interchangeable on either tub as i will have a spare?

And finally, will i be able to swap the reversing camera from my SR tub onto the SR5 without it being off center?

Regards.

L

HiluxAU
I have just changed my sr tub to sr5 ruggedx type.
- Fuel filler lines up, but has to be removed to swap tubs.
- Brake lights are staight swap. just have to takout wiring (easy job)
- SR5 has lock, planing to take it to locksmiths to match existing keys
- rear step was taken off to sit new tub on chassis rails. I would thinkthey are interchangable though. I put my old one back on.
- reversing camera is a different mount. sr is external, sr5 is is internal to handle. At over $400 quoted from toyota for sr5 type I'm trying figure out how I can mount the sr type.

As has been stated elsewhere only takes acouple of hours to complete. you will just need a couple of mates, three or four, to lift/move tubs around.

OR

you could buy my old one. :D

Hope this helps,

Dan
fortunato_0d

Postby HiluxAU on Wed, 28 Aug 2019 4:20 +0000

fortunato_0d wrote:
HiluxAU wrote:Hi,

Regards.

L

HiluxAU
I have just changed my sr tub to sr5 ruggedx type.
- Fuel filler lines up, but has to be removed to swap tubs.
- Brake lights are staight swap. just have to takout wiring (easy job)
- SR5 has lock, planing to take it to locksmiths to match existing keys
- rear step was taken off to sit new tub on chassis rails. I would thinkthey are interchangable though. I put my old one back on.
- reversing camera is a different mount. sr is external, sr5 is is internal to handle. At over $400 quoted from toyota for sr5 type I'm trying figure out how I can mount the sr type.

As has been stated elsewhere only takes acouple of hours to complete. you will just need a couple of mates, three or four, to lift/move tubs around.

OR

you could buy my old one. :D

Hope this helps,

Dan

Hi, yes, I can confirm, I ended up swapping a 2017 SR dual cab tub with a 2018 SR5 tub and was a straight swap. Reverse camera is a straight swap also but the reversing lines don't line up.

Need 4 people or a hoist of some sort, I swapped it with just my brother while my dad was lining up the fuel nozzle and it's extreamly heavy and an awkward lift. One person on each corner would be ideal.
HiluxAU

Postby wije on Wed, 17 Nov 2021 6:38 +0000

Any idea if the misaligned reverse lines are due to using the SR camera or a computer thing? I.e if the tub included the SR5 camera will it align correctly?
wije

Next

Return to Exterior Mods