New generation of cheap winches

Re: New generation of cheap winches

Postby StuartO on Fri, 17 Jun 2016 5:54 +0000

davbar65 wrote:The cheapy that played up on me had the wireless receiver built into the solenoid housing so unplugging wasn't a simple option. Disassembly and complete removal of the receiver was the best answer for me. I'd rather the winch only operate when I want it to.
With the Runva the receiver is also built into the solenoid housing and has been faultless to date though I only power the winch when I need to use it just to be sure. If it shows any sign of operating wirelessly through a stray signal I'll remove it also.....perfectly happy to use a wired handpiece to control the winches.
The small benefit of wireless isn't worth the risk of damaging the vehicle, the winch or the wiring for what I do with them.

Do you have a switch or is it totally disconnected from the battery? Not a bad idea.
StuartO

Postby davbar65 on Sat, 18 Jun 2016 7:26 +0000

Do you have a switch or is it totally disconnected from the battery? Not a bad

The 3000lb is run through a circuit breaker which I turn off when not in use.
The 9000lb Runva is connected to the battery with its own wing nut so I only connect it when I need it.
The Runva is a hitch mount setup so not on the ute all the time though the wiring to power it is permanent.

Cheers.
davbar65

Postby StuartO on Sat, 18 Jun 2016 3:49 +0000

Cheers. I saw supacentre was selling a power cable which has a screw type contraption allowing power to the winch to be cut. Only $15 or so.
StuartO

Postby fracturedranga on Sat, 18 Jun 2016 4:48 +0000

Im using onw of there screw type isolators it hasn't failed yet but i have heard about them causing dramas
fracturedranga

Postby StuartO on Sat, 18 Jun 2016 5:25 +0000

fracturedranga wrote:Im using onw of there screw type isolators it hasn't failed yet but i have heard about them causing dramas

Interesting....what sort of dramas?
I guess you could keep the original lead in the cab in case of problems.

Im so close to pulling the trigger on this cheapo domin8r. $400. I've read some good reviews of mud dragging recoveries going for 2+ hours and surviving.
StuartO

Postby TheBeastMaster on Mon, 14 Nov 2016 6:56 +0000

I looked around and found the best reviews were on Runva EWX9500-Q 12V (I think) with Steel Cable ($705). I chose steel cable as it lasts longer with little use and lower on maintenance. This was a personal choice of mine so just get what you prefer there are many pro's and con's for either.

NB: Many of the cheaper ones don't allow for spares which means they're throwaways once broken (wasted money).
TheBeastMaster

Postby oggy on Tue, 15 Nov 2016 5:20 +0000

incman wrote:All smittybilt have Lifetime Mechanical Warrant

All X20 winches come with a Lifetime Mechanical Warranty and a 5-Year Electrical Warranty.
XRC winches come with a Lifetime Mechanical Warranty and a 3-Year Electrical Warranty.

http://www.smittybilt.com/downloads/SB_ ... tended.pdf

Don't know about that. If you read the fine print that only applies to the US. You may only get a stat 12month warranty ?? I could be wrong?? and i hope i am, as i also bought an x20 , but i also hope i never have to find out as it is IP68 rated. And also runs at a lot cooler drum temp. It also clearly states in capital letters to always turn the switch off on the control box for the wireless remote when not in use...
Occupational health and safety officers..Stop messin with Darwin's theory of natural selection... Stupid hippies.

Oggy's build viewtopic.php?f=41&t=19033
oggy

Postby TheBeastMaster on Sat, 26 Nov 2016 11:33 +0000

TheBeastMaster wrote:I looked around and found the best reviews were on Runva EWX9500-Q 12V (I think) with Steel Cable ($705). I chose steel cable as it lasts longer with little use and lower on maintenance. This was a personal choice of mine so just get what you prefer there are many pro's and con's for either.

NB: Many of the cheaper ones don't allow for spares which means they're throwaways once broken (wasted money).

I also liked the Lifetime Mechanical Warranty and a 5-Year Electrical Warranty too.
TheBeastMaster

Previous

Return to Exterior Mods