Ute liner - be aware

Ute liner - be aware

Postby ih8ubarney on Tue, 31 May 2016 4:06 +0000

Just a tip for anyone ordering their ute with a sprayon liner.... Specify what you want! In my list of additions it was the only thing I didn't check.... Bloody check!
I simply asked for a spray on ute liner vs the plastic insert.

If you google "spray on ute liner" you pretty much get 2 options, rhino liner and speed liner a 3 to 4mm thick coating, Needless to say this is what I was expecting.... Unbeknown's to me there is a 3rd option... Google diy ute liner and you discover products like raptor liner. Which is a 2pack paint that is about 1mm thick and anyone with a compressor and a spray gun can do.

These 2 products are worlds apart.

I paid enough for the real thing to be installed but only after some serious jumping up and down, Toyota finally came to the party and paid for the real thing to be installed... But I fear the whole process would have been a lot worse if I didn't have a good contact at the dealership.
ih8ubarney

Re: Ute liner - be aware

Postby sharp018 on Tue, 31 May 2016 6:12 +0000

I used the raptor liner love it, if your not running a canopy and have a plastic insert you'll get water down the sides and condensation which will eventually rust the tub bottom under the liner.

I have a canopy and the liner I use its body tight however I only had it empty for about a week before installing draws :S seems like a waste of $$ but it looks good haha
sharp018

Postby ih8ubarney on Tue, 31 May 2016 6:39 +0000

It's more that Toyota charged me 800 for a spray on liner, and I got a diy product that I could had done my self in my mates shed for probably less that half the price. Not to mention it got damaged (scratched) when I was test fitting my fridge and I'd hate to see what would happen shovelling dirt/bark/gravel out of the tub.
In your case sharp I think the raptor liner is pretty much perfect, but I have my doubts when it comes to chucking/ dragging stuff in and out of the tub
ih8ubarney

Postby sharp018 on Wed, 08 Jun 2016 3:12 +0000

Your not wrong mate. When they say let it cure for 23 hours before recoat i thought it was a joke! So i waited around 3 to 4 hours it felt dry so i applied another coat. Anyway ive had stuff innthe back and it had chipped the paint off. Doesnt look so bad now cos the drawers cover it :P
sharp018

Postby FULLSCALE on Mon, 12 Sep 2016 12:23 +0000

I'm interested why you would blame Toyota for a spray on liner when it's clearly a Non genuine part that they would have had to get sublet out. If it was a part Toyota offered as a genuine accessory then fair enough, but i haven't seen it on the web site.
FULLSCALE

Postby ih8ubarney on Tue, 13 Sep 2016 7:43 +0000

by Toyota i mean the Toyota dealer
when you buy a car you can ask for any accessory you like, it doesn't matter if its genuine or not, the point of my post was to make people aware of what happened to me. At the time i didn't even know these cheaper diy liners existed, and more importantly the price i paid was for the premium product.
if the dealer had only charged me say 400 for the the liner it would be clear i was paying for a different product and i wouldn't have complained
ih8ubarney

Postby LocalFart on Tue, 13 Sep 2016 9:07 +0000

FULLSCALE wrote:I'm interested why you would blame Toyota for a spray on liner when it's clearly a Non genuine part that they would have had to get sublet out. If it was a part Toyota offered as a genuine accessory then fair enough, but i haven't seen it on the web site.

Why would you post something like this? I'm sure that many people have found the OP quite informative and useful.
Your post just seems unwelcome and unjustified, I don't see any mention of him blaming Toyota for the product, just saying to check which one you're getting before you buy.
LocalFart

Return to Exterior Mods