ARB side bars don'f fit on 2015 hilux? problem found!

ARB side bars don'f fit on 2015 hilux? problem found!

Postby easydeluxe on Fri, 15 Apr 2016 4:41 +0000

Hi I have a 2015 3l auto dual cab
I have ordered ARB sidebars but they don't fit
The crossmember that supports the gearbox is about 5 cm to far back?
Is there a difference between the pisition of that crossmember between auto and manual models? Or between 4 speed and 5 speed auto boxes?
Are there different types of sidebars for different types of hilux gear box models?
I ordered (and received) a pair of sidebars for a 2005 onwards double cab.

UPDATE, for all who are concerned. If your hilux has DPF, the crossmember is backwards 50mm and the side bars won't fit without serious modification (cutting, welding, powdercoating)

here is ARB australia's answer to my dealer:

Hi Ennio,

Let me reply you and sorry for delay with it.

Appologies for it, we have found out this problem just few time ago and we still didn’t have a chance to inform our dealers about it.

Because of the EURO certification the latest models are equipped with DPF filter and the fitting positions for the side steps are different than the models w/o DPF filter. Some our customers already made some modifications so to use 4414400 for this type of vehicle.

Because of DPF filter the front bracket needs to be behind with at least 50 mm. It was necessary to cut the front brackets from their original positions and to displace it to a different position. After all they sent the steps to a powder coating and the final product is absolutely OK as they say. As you see on pictures the distance between the bracket of the side step and the end element. Normally these parts must be one by other.

Do you think the customer would be interested in this procedures?
Last edited by easydeluxe on Wed, 20 Apr 2016 2:15 +0000, edited 2 times in total.
easydeluxe

Re: ARB side bars don'f fit on 2015 hilux?

Postby john253a on Fri, 15 Apr 2016 10:01 +0000

2005-2011 then 2011+ is how many companies list there products
Not sure if it applies to side bars
The tjm set I fitted to a mates sep15 model fitted nice there but rub the front doors underside when full opened in the pipe that joins to front bar
farting is alot like jxxxxxg off. both provide instant gratification, but neither is a long term solution to the actual problem......................
john253a

Postby mcguyver63 on Fri, 15 Apr 2016 12:19 +0000

Shouldn't you be asking ARB or whoever you bought them off?
mcguyver63

Postby easydeluxe on Fri, 15 Apr 2016 4:26 +0000

I ordered the bars with a local shop in belgium. They are confused because it should fit?
Of course i can just return them and get a refund, but i would like them on the truck as planned...
So we are trying to figure out if toyota changed something in a certain model year. Nor the hilux or the arb gear is very common in our country. Hence the question on this board...
easydeluxe

Postby TOYZX on Fri, 15 Apr 2016 4:47 +0000

5cm or 5mm out? 5cm is alot for it to be just manufacturing error. Has to be wrong model. I've fitted stacks but never taken any notice if theres a difference between auto and manual. 5mm is nothing, get the die grinder out.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby easydeluxe on Fri, 15 Apr 2016 8:47 +0000

No it's 5cm out. And in the mean time we had contact with ARB australia and they never heard of this problem??

Here is the mail I have sent to them to clarify.

The sidebars don’t fit on our 2015 Hilux.

We started the installing procedure as per the manual.
Left side first
support the gearbox crossmember with a jack
remove handbrake bolt.
Remove gearbox crossmember bolts x2
Position the side bar in place with the U shaped profile over the gearbox crossmember and attach with provided 120mm M10 bolts.

When we attached the U shaped profile over the gearbox crossmember (picture 1), we noticed that all the other holes were about 5 cm to far to the rear. (picture 2)
All the other holes seem to line up with each other, but the gearbox crossmember is about 5cm to far to the rear of the vehicle.

We don’t know why?

We have a 2015 South Africa produced hilux dual cab 3 liter diesel with automatic 5 speed gearbox.

picture one:
We placed the U shaped art of the side bar over the gearbox cross member as per the manual. And put one (of two) bolts trough the whole assembly.

IMG_1914.jpeg

Picture two.
Then we noticed that the whole side bar was about 5 cm to far to the rear of the vehicle. All the holes in the sidebar were about 5 cm to far back for the corresponding holes in the vehicles chassis.
The whole side bar was also to close to the rear wheel.
This picture shows the position of the holes of the chassis and the sidebar not aligning whilst the side bar is attached to the front gearbox cross member.

IMG_1915.jpeg

So we don’t know if there is a manufacturing mistake in the sidebars? (unlikely since left and right are the same)
Or if there is something different in the position of the gearbox crossmember on our vehicle. (also unlikely, since it is a new vehicle that hasn’t been tampered with)
Maybe toyota changed it when they upgraded to 5 speed auto?

thank you!
Geoffrey
easydeluxe

Postby Earlyninja on Fri, 15 Apr 2016 9:11 +0000

Can't see the images, but is there the possibility that a typo occurred and the left and right sides got switched? Are the chassis mounts separate to the side steps and the mounts have been switched/incorrectly put together?
You, Hilux owner driving the other way, I salute you!
Earlyninja

Postby easydeluxe on Sat, 16 Apr 2016 1:16 +0000

no, the whole thing comes welded together. No parts to wrongly assemble...
easydeluxe

Postby easydeluxe on Wed, 20 Apr 2016 2:15 +0000

UPDATE, for all who are concerned. If your hilux has DPF, the crossmember is backwards 50mm and the side bars won't fit without serious modification (cutting, welding, powdercoating)

here is ARB australia's answer to my dealer:

Hi Ennio,

Let me reply you and sorry for delay with it.

Appologies for it, we have found out this problem just few time ago and we still didn’t have a chance to inform our dealers about it.

Because of the EURO certification the latest models are equipped with DPF filter and the fitting positions for the side steps are different than the models w/o DPF filter. Some our customers already made some modifications so to use 4414400 for this type of vehicle.

Because of DPF filter the front bracket needs to be behind with at least 50 mm. It was necessary to cut the front brackets from their original positions and to displace it to a different position. After all they sent the steps to a powder coating and the final product is absolutely OK as they say. As you see on pictures the distance between the bracket of the side step and the end element. Normally these parts must be one by other.

Do you think the customer would be interested in this procedures?
easydeluxe

Return to Exterior Mods