Fuel Tank Overhaul- How do I get the white but back on?

Fuel Tank Overhaul- How do I get the white but back on?

Postby Christian Sea on Sun, 26 Apr 2020 4:46 +0000

Hi there-
With really bad fuel here in Indonesia I had to drop the tank as I knew it was time for a full reno.
All has gone smooth till here- I saw on you tube that it was possible to get the white nut off with hammer and screwdriver. We’re talking about the big plastic white nut that holds the inspection port/fuel pickup module closed on the fuel tank.

I’ve got it all cleaned and back together- yup it was definitely needed! Now trying to pound the nut back on the same way I took it off we’re still half a turn off from getting it back to the initial position.

Any tips here- I can not possibly get a new one for months if I break it by pounding it.

Thanks anyone ~
Christian Sea

Re: Fuel Tank Overhaul- How do I get the white but back on?

Postby Christian Sea on Mon, 27 Apr 2020 8:51 +0000

Thanks for reading guys- didn’t get any replies but managed to find a You Tube or two with enough info to make it happen.
As per someone’s suggestion i greased the nut just a bit and turned by hand as tight as possible. Then i used a steel chisel to turn it the rest of the way while someone physically put pressure on to turn it by hand. Worked fairly well but there are some special tools I saw online that looked better, and i would have liked to have.

My problems started when we had the water in fuel alarm go off in the cab. The buzzer was constant. I pretty much stopped right away and changed the filter/drained the housing. It was very dirty and as i know the quality of fuel we get in our jerrycans that we put in the generators i knew the tank would be dirty. So i went for it. Full tank clean. Not that hard in retrospect. I will get the photos on here if anyone interested. So I cleaned all the way down to the pickup filter-that was the dirtiest by far!

Now I’ve got the whole thing all reassembled and put a newe filter in. Did the normal fuel system alarm reset by pulling out the two clips on the filter with the car off and then replacing them after starting. Truck runs great and sounds normal but while turned on the fuel alarm is still blinking and the buzzer still going in the cab. I am sure the fuel system in tank and the fuel filters are clean, as well as the fuel. Is there another filter somewhere else i might be missing that would be blocking flow and or causing this alarm to go off?

My next test tomorrow will be to disconnect the water in fuel alarm lead from the filter unit Assy. and take the 2013 Hilux for a test drive to see if there is anything lacking on the performance side.

Anyone have any experience with this?
Christian Sea

Postby Gipsy on Tue, 28 Apr 2020 6:21 +0000

I assume that you put a new filter in? Light should not be on unless you have water or a blocked filter.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Christian Sea on Wed, 29 Apr 2020 7:06 +0000

New primary fuel filter installed, yes.
The pickup filter I sprayed clean with carb cleaner as best I could.

There’s defitnely no water in the fuel system at the moment.

With the water sensor unplugged there’s no alarm(duh) but plug it back in and it goes off-

Maybe I need to change that sensor? It looks like the only way would be with a new fuel filter housing.
Christian Sea

Return to Fuel Systems