Pre or Secondary Fuel Filter

Pre or Secondary Fuel Filter

Postby pete.ryan on Wed, 20 Mar 2019 1:00 +0000

Hi All,

Has anyone installed a second fuel filter in their Gen 8 Hilux? I have ordered a 2019 from the dealer and waiting to take delivery. I want to install an additional fuel filter for peace of mind. Be interested whom has done this yet and if they went for a pre (before the OEM filter) of secondary (after the OEM filter). Any pics also to get an idea of space it takes up.
pete.ryan

Re: Pre or Secondary Fuel Filter

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 20 Mar 2019 1:12 +0000

Check with the dealer, they do fit them. Prefilter will probably not void warranty but post probably will.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby ggreenie on Wed, 20 Mar 2019 6:19 +0000

Post factory or nothing. Pre filter is like putting chicken mesh in front of your air filter; pointless.
ggreenie

Postby Gipsy on Thu, 21 Mar 2019 6:02 +0000

Doesn't that depend on the micron size in the prefilter? Putting one after the OEM is asking for trouble especially if it's smaller micron than OEM. Besides the prefilter does trap and display water but the post filter only displays water AFTER the OEM one is already full!!!! :o :shock:

That kind of defeats the entire purpose of a secondary filter doesn't it?
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby ggreenie on Thu, 21 Mar 2019 12:40 +0000

Diesel care Australia recommend a secondary (post factory) instead of a pre filter. Have a read of why here:

https://www.dieselcare.com.au/service/f ... #which-kit
ggreenie

Postby Gipsy on Thu, 21 Mar 2019 1:28 +0000

Ok if that's what you think then my comments re water contamination stand, so at least you can see the water in the prefilter before (hopefully) it gets to the OEM which has no bowl to show contamination. I have previously had water in the prefilter and after draining the bowl and checking the OEM, there was no water got through to the OEM!

The OEM filter contamination warning light comes on when the contamination reaches a certain level and by then you are probably already in trouble. :o
Last edited by Gipsy on Thu, 21 Mar 2019 1:45 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Gipsy

Postby Gipsy on Thu, 21 Mar 2019 1:39 +0000

Gipsy wrote:Check with the dealer, they do fit them. Prefilter will probably not void warranty but post probably will.
Gipsy

Postby Myralga on Fri, 22 Mar 2019 3:36 +0000

Gipsy wrote:Ok if that's what you think then my comments re water contamination stand,

The OEM filter contamination warning light comes on when the contamination reaches a certain level and by then you are probably already in trouble. :o

I agree with you here.
I over the years have got a lot of these questions and there are positive and negative against each.

Personally I recommend Pre.
Reason being most people I deal with are running a new car with some style of Warranty. I have asked the Question of multiple dealerships be it toyota, ford, Isuzu Etc. The answer is always the same if you do post and have a fuel issue they will wipe their hands. But they cannot complain about pre.
Also I believe Pre filters generally catch 90+% of contaminants before it actually gets to the OE filter.
Talking general numbers here. Most pre filters are around a 30micron and have a water catch and most have the ability to have a water alarm built in. That means you catch the fluid and main contamination before OE.
Genuine filters in the Hilux since 05 till now I believe is a 4 micron (if I’m wrong please let me know.) now if you look at them they are generally smaller then all extra filters and also by the time as gipsy said the alarm goes off your already in trouble. No sight glass no real way of knowing without opening it.

The reason diesel care recommends a post filter is to prevent injector damage and pump damage. Post filters are 3-5 micron depending on brand. But hey isn’t that similar to genuine???? That’s correct so you basically have to let your genuine filter get so blocked and Not serviced that it passes through and ignore the water alarm.

Pre filter all the way for the newer lux different story if your talking older vehicles.

But even then I still say Pre for most people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Postby Jock. on Fri, 22 Mar 2019 8:08 +0000

Pre filter all the way, with a water trap.
Wag More.
Bark Less.

Pick a habit.
We got plenty to go around.
Jock.

Postby Gipsy on Fri, 22 Mar 2019 8:28 +0000

:D :D different strokes but all the way for pre for me :D
Gipsy

Postby 4WD-FUN on Sat, 23 Mar 2019 4:35 +0000

I've been thinking of doing the same thing on a 2012 SR5 with the 3.0l Diesel. I only recently discovered this was a 'thing' that people can do. So, in my case (2012 model out of warranty), is it worth doing? If so, pre or post?
4WD-FUN

Postby dabbler on Sat, 23 Mar 2019 4:10 +0000

4WD-FUN wrote:I've been thinking of doing the same thing on a 2012 SR5 with the 3.0l Diesel. I only recently discovered this was a 'thing' that people can do. So, in my case (2012 model out of warranty), is it worth doing? If so, pre or post?

A secondary filter, pre or post, helps protect against fuel contamination and the age of the vehicle has little bearing. I have fitted a pre-filter to my 2013 SR5 purchased used 18months ago.

I had already decided on a pre- before asking my diesel mechanics. He confirmed what a few have said here, that a pre-filter with inspection bowl lets you visually check and remedy an issue BEFORE you are stuffed plus allows the factory warning systems to work as expected.
dabbler

Postby 4WD-FUN on Thu, 28 Mar 2019 8:20 +0000

dabbler wrote:A secondary filter, pre or post, helps protect against fuel contamination and the age of the vehicle has little bearing. I have fitted a pre-filter to my 2013 SR5 purchased used 18months ago.

I had already decided on a pre- before asking my diesel mechanics. He confirmed what a few have said here, that a pre-filter with inspection bowl lets you visually check and remedy an issue BEFORE you are stuffed plus allows the factory warning systems to work as expected.

Thanks dabbler! I've just purchased my 2012 diesel SR5 (after my previous 4.0l V6 was written off), so this is my first diesel and it's a bit of a learning curve (but I'm loving it!).

Can I ask what pre-filter you opted for and if you've been happy with it? I'm seriously considering doing this since I actually know someone who had a problem with their diesel due to contaminated fuel (not a Hilux, but an expensive experience for them).
4WD-FUN

Postby dabbler on Thu, 28 Mar 2019 10:39 +0000

4WD-FUN wrote:Thanks dabbler! I've just purchased my 2012 diesel SR5 (after my previous 4.0l V6 was written off), so this is my first diesel and it's a bit of a learning curve (but I'm loving it!).

Can I ask what pre-filter you opted for and if you've been happy with it? I'm seriously considering doing this since I actually know someone who had a problem with their diesel due to contaminated fuel (not a Hilux, but an expensive experience for them).

I have the Dieselcare 30micron and it was fitted by my diesel mechanic because I no longer have garage space for playing around. I opted for a bigger bracket for a catch can. My aux batteries are in the tub so there's plenty of room and the oil filter is still easy to reach. I buy my replacement filters four at a time to reduce costs and always carry two when travelling.

The glass filter bowl is easy to inspect and the filter easy to change. Make sure you know how to prime your fuel system after a change (button on the top of the factory filter you press until firm/hard). Not a bad idea to toss a few mls of diesel and water in a drinking glass and let it settle to see what to expect.
dabbler

Postby 4WD-FUN on Fri, 29 Mar 2019 5:36 +0000

Great, thanks for the recommendation! And the trial run with the diesel/water in a drinking glass sounds like excellent advice! :)
4WD-FUN

Postby berniecam on Fri, 29 Mar 2019 5:40 +0000

Just a couple of cents worth.
I have been using this system for around 10 years now on 3 different Hiluxes & believe there are none better & when you trade up it can easily be removed & fitted to the new vehicle. Some may not agree with this but really the original Toyota filter is all you need when you have this installed (PRE ONLY) .
Made in Australia too by Responsive Engineering at Fyshwick in the ACT. Its called Waterwatch.
It is similar in size to most aftermarket filters, with a metal top glass bowl & metal bottom, sensor in the bottom there is NO element in it as such,& no moving parts, by its design it removes larger particles ( that can be seen with the naked eye) by centrifugal force flung out to land in the bottom of the bowl. The main killer in our fuel systems & what must be stopped 100% is WATER & an early warning before the contaminated fuel even gets into the original equipment filter, is the best possible outcome, this unit bought as a kit has an audible alarm & red light fitted into the cab it is activated by as little as 5 to 10 ml. of water into the bottom of the bowl you then have enough time to stop get out & see how much water is in it & can be drained out at the bottom of the bowl, it will then reset if there is no more water is in it long before any contaminated can even get near O/E filter. I think the bowl would hold about half a litre or so of fuel at any one time giving you plenty of time to pull up & turn engine off. The alarm is loud enough you will have to stop. The glass bowls on conventional aftermarket kits will catch water ok but you might not know it is in there. I have had this alarm go off a few times over the years so it does its job well. I have replaced the O/E filter elements at 15 & 20 thousand K the elements were still 90% clear & white Never seen even one drop of water in them so this unit does its job well. I believe some dealers will actually supply & fit these units to new vehicles before delivery, cost is about similar or a little more to some aftermarket filter kits & you have to change the elements too, but no matter what the cost far cheaper than may be 10 grand or more to rebuild a fuel system that has had water through it :)
Cheers.
berniecam

Postby pete.ryan on Sat, 30 Mar 2019 5:41 +0000

Yes the idea of the waterwatch system makes more sense to me. With the pre or Secondary filter some above mention that you will see the water in the bowl and be able to stop driving and investigate. But isn't the damage done by then? I mean I don't check under my bonnet that often so couldn't the glass bowl have been full for sometime?? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
pete.ryan

Postby Myralga on Sun, 31 Mar 2019 6:02 +0000

pete.ryan wrote:Yes the idea of the waterwatch system makes more sense to me. With the pre or Secondary filter some above mention that you will see the water in the bowl and be able to stop driving and investigate. But isn't the damage done by then? I mean I don't check under my bonnet that often so couldn't the glass bowl have been full for sometime?? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Not a stupid question most extra systems like the fuel manager systems have the glass bowl for visual inspections. You can purchase a additional kit which gives you a alarm that goes off in the cab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Postby 4WD-FUN on Sun, 31 Mar 2019 10:12 +0000

@berniecam, Thanks for sharing that history and your experience. This gives me even more confidence in the recommendation! I like the sound of the alarm system!

@pete.ryan, Definitely not a stupid question. I was wondering the same thing! :)
4WD-FUN

Postby specwarop on Sat, 02 May 2020 7:40 +0000

So just for clarification, what will void the Toyota warranty?
Just the secondary filter, or the pre-filter would too?
specwarop

Next

Return to Fuel Systems