Maybe faulty fuel gauge?

Maybe faulty fuel gauge?

Postby jaybajan on Sun, 20 May 2018 11:28 +0000

Hello guys i am hoping someone can help me with an issue i have been having for a few months.
I have a 2014 Hilux sr5 Invincible.
I have notice that my fuel gauge doesnt seem to read correctly.

let me try to be short and direct with what has been happening.

When i first bout the Hilux in May of last year. I was able to notice the gauge located on the dash was indeed working as it moved up and down ( reading correctly as it should) when i filled up it moved. as i drove over a period of time the needle would move down slowly as one would expect ( because its working as it should).

fast forward a few months to around December of last year 2017.

when i fill up the needle would go right up as it should. but now even after nearly 430kms on the dash after filling up, the needle never ever goes below half tank. EVER.

the computer reads on the dash as saying i have 130kms left to go before i run out of fuel.

even using torque app on my cell phone it reads that same amount as well.

So this leads me to believe something is either wrong with the needle on the dash, or maybe it is a problem with the float located inside the fuel tank?

How can i fix this issue.

( ive also notice that if i put in lets say, $50 or 60$ worth of fuel, the needle on the dash would move up at all. Nor would the computer reading on the dash move. heck, i can even up in $100 and thats when it may move a bit.
jaybajan

Maybe faulty fuel gauge?

Postby Scoobalimalima on Mon, 21 May 2018 1:06 +0000

Sounds like the float / sender unit to me. I’ve never removed one from a Hilux so someone else may be able to shed light on this. If it’s like my old commodore ute it should be sitting on top of the tank somewhere and bolted screwed in place, will have wires coming from it.

Just my 2 cents.

SLL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scoobalimalima

Re: Maybe faulty fuel gauge?

Postby NebulaLux5 on Mon, 21 May 2018 2:11 +0000

Float and sender unit may be faulty somehow. Maybe a wire has short circuited itself just by unfortunate luck. Rip up back seats and move the carpet (only if carpet is blocking the access point to the fuel suction plate sub assembly). You will need a special tool to open it (honestly don't know where to buy one considering we have 3 at our dealership) and a breaker bar. Disconnect all hoses and move them out of the way. Crack it open and pull the fuel suction sub assembly STRAIGHT UP. Inspect all the wires and make sure none of em have a split anywhere. If all the wires are good, have a look at the float. Seen plenty of Corollas have a screwed float just by random chance. if it's neither the float or the wires, take it back to the dealer and get them to have a look at it
NebulaLux5

Postby jaybajan on Mon, 21 May 2018 10:54 +0000

Ok thanks guys, I would take it to the dealer and have them look at it.
jaybajan

Postby Ragingboner on Sat, 13 Apr 2019 5:50 +0000

Hi,

Did you ever find out the out the problem, I have the exact same issue.
Ragingboner

Return to Fuel Systems