Pre or Secondary Fuel Filter

Re: Pre or Secondary Fuel Filter

Postby Gipsy on Sun, 03 May 2020 6:42 +0000

Ask your dealer and get it in writing! Shouldn't void warranty with a pre-filter but different dealers say different things. Imho prefilter is preferred because the glass bowl let's you see it and it stops anything before it gets to the OEM filter which is smaller.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby specwarop on Sun, 03 May 2020 6:59 +0000

Is there no filter inside the tank anymore?
specwarop

Postby Gipsy on Sun, 03 May 2020 7:03 +0000

Filter in the tank is probably for straining frogs and leaves ;)
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby specwarop on Sun, 03 May 2020 7:07 +0000

Yeh I am sure some brands thats all there is. Must be somewhat reasonable in there.
specwarop

Postby Allords on Wed, 24 Jun 2020 1:08 +0000

ggreenie wrote:Diesel care Australia recommend a secondary (post factory) instead of a pre filter. Have a read of why here:

https://www.dieselcare.com.au/service/f ... #which-kit

I don't agree with them. I feel a post filter is a waste.
The factory filter filters @ 7microns. The whole fuel rail system and injectors along with the factory filter is built by Denso.
So what Denso are saying is the system will tolerate any crap below 7 microns.
What are you going to do?. Fit a 2-5 micron filter after the factory one? Why, just to block it up with crap that the system can deal with?
Once that 2-5 micron filter starts to do its job, I'm guessing the fuel pressure will build considerably. Yes i've seen their video, but thats with clean fresh fuel in a controlled environment. Not what happens in the real world.
A 20-30 micron pre filter is more than enough.

Personally, i'd go the water watch way. Let the factory filter, filter crud only and have the water watch filter take care of water.
Allords

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 24 Jun 2020 1:44 +0000

Allords wrote:
ggreenie wrote:Diesel care Australia recommend a secondary (post factory) instead of a pre filter. Have a read of why here:

https://www.dieselcare.com.au/service/f ... #which-kit

I don't agree with them. I feel a post filter is a waste.
The factory filter filters @ 7microns. The whole fuel rail system and injectors along with the factory filter is built by Denso.
So what Denso are saying is the system will tolerate any crap below 7 microns.
What are you going to do?. Fit a 2-5 micron filter after the factory one? Why, just to block it up with crap that the system can deal with?
Once that 2-5 micron filter starts to do its job, I'm guessing the fuel pressure will build considerably. Yes i've seen their video, but thats with clean fresh fuel in a controlled environment. Not what happens in the real world.
A 20-30 micron pre filter is more than enough.

Personally, i'd go the water watch way. Let the factory filter, filter crud only and have the water watch filter take care of water.

"Once that 2-5 micron filter starts to do its job, I'm guessing the fuel pressure will build considerably."
Well not quite, the whole fuel system up to the supply pump is suction, so when the 2.5 micron post-filter becomes blocked instead of pressure rising it would be like shutting off the fuel tap thus damaging the supply pump and starving the fuel rail thus engine of fuel pressure! Blocked filter=less pressure in the common rail pressure.
That's why the OEM filter warns you when the filter is blocked, and a post-filter won't do that! When the post-filter becomes restricted the supply pump will suffer/fail. Bet they didn't tell you that in their promo.

So I agree with allords.
Gipsy

Postby hiluxxury on Wed, 24 Jun 2020 4:23 +0000

I have a fuel manager 30 micro prefilter fitted with a water bowl. A couple of times now I've had both the water alarm and full filter alarm come up on the stock system but no water ever in the fuel manager filter.

I agree totally with the Denso comments above. Any engineer working for Denso would be among the best in their field. Denso would be well aware of fuel issues globally and taken this into account when designing the fuel system in these vehicles. Sometimes they get things wrong (dpf) but overall I'd trust them over an aftermarket product.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby specwarop on Mon, 14 Sep 2020 12:08 +0000

For those with the Dieselcare prefilter kit, does their bracket go into the spare battery position under the hood? I would prefer if not.
specwarop

Postby numberplate on Mon, 14 Sep 2020 4:53 +0000

specwarop wrote:For those with the Dieselcare prefilter kit, does their bracket go into the spare battery position under the hood? I would prefer if not.

I bought mine 4 years ago so dont know if they have changed the design , but it should sit just to one side of the second battery allowing the battery tray to fit in ok. It replaces the factory bracket and moves the factory filter forward and inwards a bit
numberplate

Postby Mudgee mud on Fri, 18 Feb 2022 4:31 +0000

I disagree with not needing a pre filter. But with a glass bowl for visual inspection is ideal. Stock filters... replace every / after ...X kms.. ???
They are like old light bulbs ! No real life span.
You can ruin a brand new filter in one top up! Just from one bad servo.
Your Toyo starts coughing and spluttering...
If you actually have half a clue of self diagnosing... still going to take you a while. But a pre filter with a glass bowl...
And you see water or contaminants in it... can cut hours and cash off the repairs.
They are a great visual indicator of the fuel you have fed your Toyo.
Ignorant to think otherwise really.
And gives you assistinstant proof against the sevo for compensation. And it happens a lot, but hushed over, or hard to prove otherwise.
No one can say exactly what their factory fuel filter condition is in. But a glass bowl gives you half an idea.
Mudgee mud

Postby specwarop on Fri, 18 Feb 2022 6:20 +0000

How can you see the water with the glass bowl, when the diesel flows through the bowl also?
specwarop

Postby numberplate on Sat, 19 Feb 2022 4:19 +0000

specwarop wrote:How can you see the water with the glass bowl, when the diesel flows through the bowl also?

the diesel and water dont mix , so you can clearly see a "blob" of water sitting at the bottom of the clear bowl. Its very easy to drain it from there.
numberplate

Postby Allords on Tue, 06 Dec 2022 8:47 +0000

Pre filter is better 30microns to catch the chucks and allow the factory filter 7.5 microns to do the rest.
Toyo don't make filters, but are aware from denso that anything over 7.5 microns will damage fuel rails and injectors.
Water watch is brilliant, if its set up with the alarm, and pre factory filter.
So a 30 micron pre filter catches the Chunks and allows the factory filter to do the rest, maintaining integrity.
if you where to go to a 5 micron pre filter, you've just rendered the factory filter useless, apart from the factory water filter alarm, if you didn't have a water alarm attached to the pre filter
Allords

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 07 Dec 2022 4:55 +0000

X2 what allords said ;)
Gipsy

Previous

Return to Fuel Systems