Rear end droop while towing on OME and BP51

Rear end droop while towing on OME and BP51

Postby Big Damo on Tue, 30 Jan 2024 7:50 +0000

Hi Hiluxers,
I think I've made a bad decision when getting ARB to add 300kg rear suspension to my 2022 Hilux. I had the discussion with the salesman who told me that if you're not towing constantly around the country just go a spring rate for what you would normally carry and make do when towing.
So I get it done 300kg with BP51 and it really is a perfect drive with all the stuff I carry and even when loaded for a non towing trip. HOWEVER, add another 200 plus kg of towball weight with the van and she's nose up bum down and to be honest rides way harsher than I thought it would, to the point where toing on a long trip would be a bit uncomfortable. I previously had 300kg springs on the rear of an MN Triton and it actually rode and felt softer and better when the van was attached.
ARB can add another spring which will lift the rear a bit more, at 500kg constant, but I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas as to how to achieve a balance between towing and not towing.
I'm not interested in air bags (for fear of chassis failure) or levelling bars (will be going off road).
Just for completeness, I think when loaded with fuel (140L), ARB ascent canopy, rear drawer, fridge, tools etc I'd be sitting around the 200kg mark. Towball weight of the van is around 250kg.
I dont' think I'm prepared to sacrifice the BP51s as they seem to work soooo well, but may be willing to change over leaf packs to another manufacturer. All advice appreciated.
Damien
Big Damo

Re: Rear end droop while towing on OME and BP51

Postby Gipsy on Tue, 30 Jan 2024 8:26 +0000

Before you do anything more, load it up with all your gear and the trailer and take the WHOLE rig to a weighbridge. You will be surprised with the result, but don't forget to fill your fuel tanks, load mum and the kids and dogs in and all the other stuff you take with you. Maybe you will find the problem and give direction to the solution. Your rig should not be as you described unless something is wrong ie overloaded!! The 200kg plus tow ball weight and all the other stuff in the tub is almost at max loaded before you include all the other stuff you didn't include.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Big Damo on Tue, 30 Jan 2024 8:29 +0000

Gipsy wrote:Before you do anything more, load it up with all your gear and the trailer and take the WHOLE rig to a weighbridge. You will be surprised with the result, but don't forget to fill your fuel tanks, load mum and the kids and dogs in and all the other stuff you take with you. Maybe you will find the problem and give direction to the solution. Your rig should not be as you described unless something is wrong ie overloaded!! The 200kg plus tow ball weight and all the other stuff in the tub is almost at max loaded before you include all the other stuff you didn't include.

Thanks Gipsy, the thing is I know I'm not overloaded, I am 2760 with me in the drivers seat and fully fuelled up (140L) My GVM is 3180. Even if it was 250kg ball weight, I am at 3010kg and the wife weights around 60kg. I am within GVM and GCM (easily), I just don't think the leafs cope much beyond 300kg constant weight, and then stick some of that on the towball and exceed it well it just droops! I think I'm just going to have to add another leaf and take it up to 500kg constant rear load and suck up the stiffer ride while unladen. Oh well
Big Damo

Postby Rob_Wood on Tue, 30 Jan 2024 11:51 +0000

Big Damo wrote:
Gipsy wrote:Before you do anything more, load it up with all your gear and the trailer and take the WHOLE rig to a weighbridge. You will be surprised with the result, but don't forget to fill your fuel tanks, load mum and the kids and dogs in and all the other stuff you take with you. Maybe you will find the problem and give direction to the solution. Your rig should not be as you described unless something is wrong ie overloaded!! The 200kg plus tow ball weight and all the other stuff in the tub is almost at max loaded before you include all the other stuff you didn't include.

Thanks Gipsy, the thing is I know I'm not overloaded, I am 2760 with me in the drivers seat and fully fuelled up (140L) My GVM is 3180. Even if it was 250kg ball weight, I am at 3010kg and the wife weights around 60kg. I am within GVM and GCM (easily), I just don't think the leafs cope much beyond 300kg constant weight, and then stick some of that on the towball and exceed it well it just droops! I think I'm just going to have to add another leaf and take it up to 500kg constant rear load and suck up the stiffer ride while unladen. Oh well

The problem comes that quality Spring Steel is hard to get these days and so most manufacturers are using cheap Chinese Steel. "IF" good quality Australian Spring Steel is still available, then you need to try someone like Direct Suspension or Carrol Springs, if they are still operating. I'm going back 20 odd years and back then these mobs were somewhere in SE Qld.
They "WERE" the only place to buy your additional leafs. The good quality "extra leaf" MIGHT help you out, but you'd be better off if you can get onto complete quality Spring Packs.
Rob_Wood

Postby Big Damo on Wed, 31 Jan 2024 6:28 +0000

Thanks Rob will chase them up
Big Damo

Postby dave g on Wed, 31 Jan 2024 2:51 +0000

Big Damo you better do your maths again 3180 - 250 - 60 = 2870 you only have 110 kg for everything else you put in the ute witch is not much.
Iron Man had a helper spring that just bolted up
dave g

Postby Rob_Wood on Wed, 31 Jan 2024 5:45 +0000

dave g wrote:Big Damo you better do your maths again 3180 - 250 - 60 = 2870 you only have 110 kg for everything else you put in the ute witch is not much.
Iron Man had a helper spring that just bolted up

Helper leafs can offer a false sense of security. I'd also suggest that with the loads he's carrying being so close to Max that another option might be to look at a GVM upgrade or maybe "Coils Overs". He's not showing a location, but I believe DMW are somewhere in Queensland, they'd be the ones to ask about a GVM upgrade. There are likely other mobs around the country, but DMW are offering the chance to win a Jeep ... Not my first choice, but certainly at the right price if I was lucky enough to come out the barrel first.
Big Damo, you should really look at what you're carrying and decide between what you need and what you want. Our Brigade does a fair bit of Highway work and the number of caravans splattered up the highway I've seen is truly horrifying.
Nan & Pop load up Birthday, Christmas and every other present you might conceive of for all the Grand Kids and load them into the caravan to use it like a big box trailer. Throws weights and balance out to buggery! They get half way there, the eyes droop and we get to clean it all up for the coppers to take away and weigh. Local coppers have even got themselves a 5 X 12 dual axle box trailer they use just for this purpose.

My 2 Cent Rant again, sorry if I said too much.
Rob_Wood

Return to Suspension