Intro and anyone have a set up like mine will be?

Intro and anyone have a set up like mine will be?

Postby Big Damo on Tue, 08 Mar 2022 8:58 +0000

Hi all, I'll post a proper intro on the appropriate board later when I've got my rig, but I've got a 2022 sr5 currently on order. I've come from an MN Triton which, apart from 2 x engine replacements under warranty, has been awsome! I've done the Simmo, Cape York, OTT and a few other iconic tracks and the Triton did it great! Only problem, even though tuned, only putting out 410nm of torque, and we will be on occasions towing a 2.1T semi offroad van. So I thought it was time to upgrade to my next 10 year car and the Hilux seems to be the go now that it has increased power and torque.
Hilux is going to be kitted out with mainly ARB stuff. I'm researching at present suspension and was wondering if anyone has a setup similar to what I will have weight and use wise.
Apart from Sahara bullbar and winch, and more importantly for calculations, I will be carrying around the following constantly;
Ascent canopy 100kg
Titan drawers 50kg
Fridge empty 30kg
Tools,spares, other stuff 20kg
Battery 15kg
TOTAL: 215kg
Add to that extra 60kg in fuel from an ARB Frontier LR Tank.
When loaded for a trip I suspect I could add a further 80kg in gear, food, water etc.
Now I could deal with calculating all that, but the tricky thing is on occasions we will want to be adding an extra 180-200kg of tow ball weight (van is 2057 ATM) The trick is going to be finding something that is not too bouncy in the rear when driving around unloaded, but something that can handle the extra weight of the van and other load.
I will be needing some sort of GVM upgrade I know. I also want a lift up to 50mm. Will be running 265/70R17s.
I have been considering a GVM upgrade 3050 to 3180 which should cover things, but this is only available at ARB in a 300kg constant rear load, and I'm concerned that it will be a little under done when loaded.
Has anyone else got a similar setup/needs as I do and if so what suspension did you use and how does it go?
I like to do a bit of offroad but it will only be 5% of the time in reality.
Cheers all
Big Damo

Re: Intro and anyone have a set up like mine will be?

Postby dave g on Tue, 08 Mar 2022 5:34 +0000

All your weights are under just the battery will be 25 to 30kg to start with fuel work on 1kg per litre
I went with a ironman gvm 3350 never had any problems so far in 7 year's
dave g

Postby hiluxxury on Wed, 09 Mar 2022 5:06 +0000

Yes it will be harsh unloaded. There have been a few here who have made that comment. Its a compromise like everything.

My Rangie is tuned and has over 700nm... it too feels heavy loads, especially at the fuel pump :roll:
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby Big Damo on Wed, 09 Mar 2022 7:52 +0000

dave g wrote:All your weights are under just the battery will be 25 to 30kg to start with fuel work on 1kg per litre

Thanks dave, by battery I meant 100ah lithium, and yes extra 60L in fuel will be about 60kgs! Are your weights similar to mine and do you tow Dave? If so how does it go??
Big Damo

Postby Big Damo on Wed, 09 Mar 2022 7:55 +0000

hiluxxury wrote:Yes it will be harsh unloaded. There have been a few here who have made that comment. Its a compromise like everything.

My Rangie is tuned and has over 700nm... it too feels heavy loads, especially at the fuel pump :roll:

Im starting to think might be worth paying extra and going bp51s at the rear purely for adjustment when towing. 700nm is a fair whack so a part of the extra fuel is probably due to testing out every now and then at the lights?? :)
Big Damo

Postby hiluxxury on Wed, 09 Mar 2022 4:36 +0000

The BPs are nice but most play with them a couple of times and then leave them. Make sure you find a good arb dealer, the local one when I was on the mainland was horrible to deal with.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby dave g on Thu, 10 Mar 2022 3:33 +0000

Big Damo wrote:
dave g wrote:All your weights are under just the battery will be 25 to 30kg to start with fuel work on 1kg per litre

Thanks dave, by battery I meant 100ah lithium, and yes extra 60L in fuel will be about 60kgs! Are your weights similar to mine and do you tow Dave? If so how does it go??

My ute weigh 2460 with a gvm of 3350 and yes I tow a camper it weight is 1250 it is a full alloy and don't have a problem.
dave g

Postby Myralga on Fri, 11 Mar 2022 8:22 +0000

Hey Damo so I have honestly no towing with my rig but got a lot of what your stating
My main weight items are basically all ARB.
Summit bar
10k Zeon Winch
Sidesteps and rails
UVP
Ascent canopy
Rhino rack on cab
Long Ranger 150L tank and 36L water tank.
Dual battery
So I’m at 2665 without any cargo and without a full tank. I have nothing permanent in the rear.
So firstly my biggest recommendation is get the biggest GVM you can.
Now on that note something for you to consider.
Seeing as I run very little weight over rear axle I also run constant 300 springs.
I have BP 51s and the reason I went that way is I wanted to be able to adjust primarily the rear end. When I’m unloaded I back the rear compression and rebound way off and when loaded ramp it up. Gives a softer ride when wanted and only takes a min or two too change.
Where are you located? If your lucky will be able to send you to someone who knows what there talking about and not rip you off.
You will have a nice rig and if you are lucky you will get it this year.
Also on that note if you have a relatively solid arrival time for your rig consider that currently most big 3 letter brands have about a 6 month wait list to get your parts. So talk to someone well and truly early to ensure your not waiting months to actually use your new toy on anything other than bitumen.

If you have any questions feel free to ask I’ll try my best like a lot of the crew here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Postby Big Damo on Sun, 13 Mar 2022 9:33 +0000

Big Damo wrote:Hi all, I'll post a proper intro on the appropriate board later when I've got my rig, but I've got a 2022 sr5 currently on order. I've come from an MN Triton which, apart from 2 x engine replacements under warranty, has been awsome! I've done the Simmo, Cape York, OTT and a few other iconic tracks and the Triton did it great! Only problem, even though tuned, only putting out 410nm of torque, and we will be on occasions towing a 2.1T semi offroad van. So I thought it was time to upgrade to my next 10 year car and the Hilux seems to be the go now that it has increased power and torque.
Hilux is going to be kitted out with mainly ARB stuff. I'm researching at present suspension and was wondering if anyone has a setup similar to what I will have weight and use wise.
Apart from Sahara bullbar and winch, and more importantly for calculations, I will be carrying around the following constantly;
Ascent canopy 100kg
Titan drawers 50kg
Fridge empty 30kg
Tools,spares, other stuff 20kg
Battery 15kg
TOTAL: 215kg
Add to that extra 60kg in fuel from an ARB Frontier LR Tank.
When loaded for a trip I suspect I could add a further 80kg in gear, food, water etc.
Now I could deal with calculating all that, but the tricky thing is on occasions we will want to be adding an extra 180-200kg of tow ball weight (van is 2057 ATM) The trick is going to be finding something that is not too bouncy in the rear when driving around unloaded, but something that can handle the extra weight of the van and other load.
I will be needing some sort of GVM upgrade I know. I also want a lift up to 50mm. Will be running 265/70R17s.
I have been considering a GVM upgrade 3050 to 3180 which should cover things, but this is only available at ARB in a 300kg constant rear load, and I'm concerned that it will be a little under done when loaded.
Has anyone else got a similar setup/needs as I do and if so what suspension did you use and how does it go?
I like to do a bit of offroad but it will only be 5% of the time in reality.
Cheers all

Thanks for that. Looks like with a full tank of fuel and some food in the fridge, some tools and recovery gear with van attached I will be at around 2880. With ARBs 3180kg gvm upgrade that gives me 300 kgs for passengers (usually just me and the missus now), kakak/paddles and fishing gear. On a Simmo Desert trip with no van I should have plenty of extra GVM room for more food, water, jerry of fuel, tent etc so all will be good.
I think the 3180 GVM upgrade includes 300-500kg contant load rear springs so will cater for the towball weight, espeically when I can muck around with compression rates on the bp51s to get the ride right. Thanks everyone for you help.
Big Damo

Postby angas on Wed, 19 Apr 2023 8:55 +0000

Hi,
You could ditch the draws, just use canvas bags and plastic tubs to store your gear.
Also the Aeroklas canopies are much lighter than the ARB one so you could save more there.
angas

Return to Suspension