Dobinsons etc, front spring rate.

Dobinsons etc, front spring rate.

Postby awill on Sat, 20 Nov 2021 9:31 +0000

Hi Crew,
Im hoping you can help me with some info.
Im trying to sort out my suspension as my Dobinsons IMS currently ride like shit offroad.
After many hours of homework chewing up my weekend, I am leaning towards the problem being they are over sprung.
It curently sends a massive shudder through the whole car when driving over small washouts/drops/speed bumps and is dangerous hitting pot holes on gravel roads on bends and I've had enough.
For those of you running the IMS or even MRR could you post which spring you're running and what weight you have over standard?
Im currently running the std 3" lift spring (c59- 354) which is actually the second heaviest spring they do for a Lux/Prado @ 725lb/in.
I only have an Alu bull bar, bash plates and dual battery and am also only running it at 2.5" lift so I "think" these springs are way too heavy in this configuration.

There is a 585lb/in spring c59-314 which is longer and obviously softer and I think might be the correct spring for my setup if it's able to be run on a Lux, I can't see why not but I am not an expert. If you follow 4byfour diesel Anthony has put a set in the front of his Prado for a better ride.

The only other thing I could think of is something to do with the rebound valving.
Anyway sorry about the long post, but any help would be appreciated so I have a little more info before I go back to the supplier.
Cheers,
awill

Re: Dobinsons etc, front spring rate.

Postby hiluxxury on Mon, 22 Nov 2021 5:21 +0000

Gday, is the number on the spring or is that what they told you they put in? When I orders shocks from a mob in Wodonga, I asked for 800lb spring and they said sure, no worries. When I received them they has scrubbed off all of the lettering on the springs but I could still roughly make out they were 8-5lb... prob 855 or 875lbs. I had a bar/winch etc etc so it didnt matter too much but I was still underwhelmed but their actions.

Anyhow, 585 is close to the stock spring rate according to the database over on pradopoint. Thats not a bad thing and you'll definitely feel the difference.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Return to Suspension