ironman foam cell pro front strut

ironman foam cell pro front strut

Postby strutphuc on Wed, 10 Jul 2019 2:06 +0000

Hi all

I have done a quick search for my specific issue but not found anything that correlates exactly.
so here goes. please correct me if I'm wrong i apologies.

I have a 2017 TRD & have installed Ironman foam cell pro front struts 45mm lift (whole kit) these shock are adjustable they have a thread that has a ring that you turn to adjust before install.

the problem is that they have supplied a so called sway bar mount that moves it forward but not enough on the passenger side. the adjustment ring is resting on the sway bar. Ironman is aware or the problem but sent me away saying its toyota's problem.

has anyone had this experience??
strutphuc

Re: ironman foam cell pro front strut

Postby Mhewitt on Wed, 10 Jul 2019 7:43 +0000

strutphuc wrote:
the problem is that they have supplied a so called sway bar mount that moves it forward but not enough on the passenger side. the adjustment ring is resting on the sway bar. Ironman is aware or the problem but sent me away saying its toyota's problem.

Was the sway bar sitting on any part of the strut before the install?

Go back, say the words "Department of Fair Trade" and have them fix their own f$@#&%.
2017 graphite SR5 extra-cab
Mhewitt

Postby dave g on Wed, 10 Jul 2019 7:52 +0000

Toyota will wipe there hands of it because you have played with it.
And as above make a big noise about it.
dave g

Postby strutphuc on Wed, 10 Jul 2019 8:06 +0000

Mhewitt wrote:
strutphuc wrote:

Was the sway bar sitting on any part of the strut before the install?

Go back, say the words "Department of Fair Trade" and have them fix their own f$@#&%.

Nah not touching anything. yes your right breach of section 54 of fair trades act from what i see.
strutphuc

Postby strutphuc on Wed, 10 Jul 2019 8:11 +0000

dave g wrote:Toyota will wipe there hands of it because you have played with it.
And as above make a big noise about it.

true but i reckon its got nothing to do with them. its all Ironman IMO if your aware of issue in your RD then don't sell them as a part that fits toyota.
strutphuc

Postby hiluxxury on Thu, 11 Jul 2019 7:36 +0000

Good luck. IMO you'll probably need an engineer to say it is a design flaw.

I had a very similar problem and went through the whole consumer affairs process to find that out. There are two problems here in Aus... 1. the state based consumers affairs bodies don't have the resources or the technical skills to make assessments and 2. the Aus market is very small so there isn't enough momentum for manufacturers to be afraid of forums etc - so they treat consumer law like toilet paper and put the onus on you to prove with engineers etc that the problem is theirs. In the US for example, the customer is right and manufacturers stand by their products.

Alternatively, you could fab a more forward sway bar mount based on what you have been supplied.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby ggreenie on Thu, 11 Jul 2019 12:50 +0000

welcome mate. You now belong to the fraternity of the numerous people who have experienced Ironman and their terrible products and customer service. I’ll never shop there again and i suspect you won’t do so either...
ggreenie

Postby strutphuc on Thu, 11 Jul 2019 7:57 +0000

hiluxxury wrote:Good luck. IMO you'll probably need an engineer to say it is a design flaw.

I had a very similar problem and went through the whole consumer affairs process to find that out. There are two problems here in Aus... 1. the state based consumers affairs bodies don't have the resources or the technical skills to make assessments and 2. the Aus market is very small so there isn't enough momentum for manufacturers to be afraid of forums etc - so they treat consumer law like toilet paper and put the onus on you to prove with engineers etc that the problem is theirs. In the US for example, the customer is right and manufacturers stand by their products.

Alternatively, you could fab a more forward sway bar mount based on what you have been supplied.

ironman have had a look & pull the camber I think he said, back 1º which has given the strut a 4-5mm gap. now the wheel rubs on the back at the bottom of the wheel arch. 265/70tyres 17rims.

they pulled me in to their work shop to show me that all things line up nothing looks wrong?? but the sway bar gap between the chassis & bar is maybe 4mm less then the driver side???

I have convinced toyota to have a look thanks to a fellow hilux driver that pulled up behind me as i was chatting. he had a rugged with a lift kit got the service tech to look at his. that led to him agree to look at mine.

now what happen on that day behind closed door who knows?

but like you said i may need to fab something or should i say ironman does!!!
strutphuc

Postby hiluxxury on Fri, 12 Jul 2019 6:33 +0000

Aha... yes they will come close with the the LCAs adjusted forward. The mounts however should have enough freedom to accommodate this. Its not toyotas problem.

Fab one up and save yourself the stress of these people if you want to regain your LCA setting. When you fab the new mounts, be sure to cycle the swaybar so its not hitting anything under the radiator etc.

FWIW the gap between my strut and swaybar is about 2mm.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Return to Suspension