Hilux suspension

Re: Hilux suspension

Postby hiluxxury on Sun, 21 Jul 2019 6:57 +0000

TOYZX wrote:Nah no other adjustment. Compression and rebound adjustment is done on the body of the shock, changing the shock through it's whole stroke.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Thanks. I'm considering them as while they are expensive, they are getting some good reviews.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby Mhewitt on Sun, 21 Jul 2019 7:23 +0000

hiluxxury wrote:Thanks. I'm considering them as while they are expensive, they are getting some good reviews.

They are (really bloody) expensive. But they are also (really bloody) good.

As delivered, mine at least, were set with very low rebound, and somewhat low compression damping. Once adjusted, they are just excellent.

The bypass design means that they can give strong control on low speed, high amplitude deflection but that heavy damping is, well... bypassed... for high speed, low amplitude. So the suspension follows rutted gravel or broken tarmac really well but when a big suspension movement is caused the damping is there to control it.
2017 graphite SR5 extra-cab
Mhewitt

Postby TOYZX on Sun, 21 Jul 2019 9:41 +0000

I don't have them fitted but I fit and tune them every other day. Don't get me wrong they have had their problems like every product but as with anything arb they are more than happy to throw new bits in to keep everyone happy.

TOYZX

Postby hiluxxury on Sun, 21 Jul 2019 4:34 +0000

Thanks... tossing up between bling and practical (ultimates). I'm really after adjustable height but would love real adjustable compression and rebound rather than adjustable flow to the bypass. But that said, imo bypass is overkill for a hilux in a non race setting. We simply don't get the heat generated. But the for the bling I'm almost there!
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby TOYZX on Sun, 21 Jul 2019 5:25 +0000

It most definitely is overkill for most! They'd be great if ya doin big ks offroad!

TOYZX

Postby Mhewitt on Mon, 22 Jul 2019 1:34 +0000

hiluxxury wrote:Thanks... tossing up between bling and practical (ultimates). I'm really after adjustable height but would love real adjustable compression and rebound rather than adjustable flow to the bypass. But that said, imo bypass is overkill for a hilux in a non race setting. We simply don't get the heat generated. But the for the bling I'm almost there!

The BP51's do have adjustable compression and rebound. Bypass isn't a heat (or race) issue; it's a way of having the damping able to deal with both high- and low-speed suspension movement - literally bypassing some of the damping orifices when necessary.
Mhewitt

Postby hiluxxury on Mon, 22 Jul 2019 5:48 +0000

Still overkill that can be managed with good valving.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby Mhewitt on Mon, 22 Jul 2019 7:50 +0000

hiluxxury wrote:Still overkill that can be managed with good valving.

Me, I'd have said having four sets of damping adjustment - high-speed rebound, low-speed rebound, high-speed compression, low-speed compression - which is what you need to be able to truly tailor damping response (hell, some race dampers also have a mid-range set of adjustments) is what's overkill for a 4WD ute...

Unless by "good valving" you mean a well-designed, fit-for-specific application, non-adjustable damper.
Mhewitt

Postby Mhewitt on Mon, 22 Jul 2019 8:58 +0000

hiluxxury wrote:Thanks... tossing up between bling and practical (ultimates). I'm really after adjustable height but would love real adjustable compression and rebound rather than adjustable flow to the bypass. But that said, imo bypass is overkill for a hilux in a non race setting. We simply don't get the heat generated. But the for the bling I'm almost there!

Actually, thinking about your previous posts, I think I understand what's happening - you're confusing remote reservoirs on dampers (which are primarily a means of dealing with heat generated in the damping fluid, by both increasing the volume and increasing the amount of surface area in order to dissipate heat) with bypass valve design (which is a way of having one set of damping valves deal with a wide range of suspension movement types).

If this is the case, yes, I'd agree the remote-reservoir heat-dissipation aspect of the BP51 design is probably overkill for all but the most extreme road user. But the remote reservoirs have absolutely nothing to do with the bypass function - you can certainly design a damper with bypass but without a remote reservoir.
Mhewitt

Postby ggreenie on Mon, 22 Jul 2019 9:27 +0000

hiluxxury wrote:But that said, imo bypass is overkill for a hilux in a non race setting. We simply don't get the heat generated.

Wrong. Totally wrong. Bypass valves aren’t about heat. They’re also for sustained off road use. Not the occasional dirt road.

If you only go into the Vic high country every so often and spend the rest of your time in Melbourne then yes, they’re completely unnecessary. On the other hand, if you want to drive 800km across the Plenty Highway and back multiple times per year... well then high level shocks are worth every penny.

hiluxxury wrote:can be managed with good valving.

True enough, though you might need 6 revalves before you nail the valve stacks. That’ll blow the $$$ savings out the window.

TOYZX wrote:It most definitely is overkill for most! They'd be great if ya doin big ks offroad!

Exactly!!!
ggreenie

Postby hiluxxury on Mon, 22 Jul 2019 12:33 +0000

ggreenie wrote:
hiluxxury wrote:But that said, imo bypass is overkill for a hilux in a non race setting. We simply don't get the heat generated.

Wrong. Totally wrong. Bypass valves aren’t about heat. They’re also for sustained off road use. Not the occasional dirt road.

If you only go into the Vic high country every so often and spend the rest of your time in Melbourne then yes, they’re completely unnecessary. On the other hand, if you want to drive 800km across the Plenty Highway and back multiple times per year... well then high level shocks are worth every penny.

hiluxxury wrote:can be managed with good valving.

True enough, though you might need 6 revalves before you nail the valve stacks. That’ll blow the $$$ savings out the window.

Yes, I was wrong - I actually meant external reservoirs. But you know, its the internet so keep on carrying on about it.

Anyhow, even with the adjustability the things offer, most people couldn't get the setting right. Setting shocks takes much more than feel so these are still bling for most who own them... and these are basic adjustments, not even HSC or LSC.

But never mind that, keep on bashing the keyboard until you are right :lol:
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby Mhewitt on Mon, 22 Jul 2019 5:36 +0000

hiluxxury wrote:
Yes, I was wrong - I actually meant external reservoirs. But you know, its the internet so keep on carrying on about it.

Anyhow, even with the adjustability the things offer, most people couldn't get the setting right. Setting shocks takes much more than feel so these are still bling for most who own them... and these are basic adjustments, not even HSC or LSC.

Here's the thing, hiluxxury - me and ggreenie aren't jumping on you to make you feel stupid. There's two reasons I, at least, responded - one, so you did not continue to labour under a misconception, and two, so that later readers of this thread do not receive misinformation.

Yes, you are right: in my experience (motorcycle racing, not 4WDing) highly-adjustable suspension allows most people to make their vehicle handle worse...
Mhewitt

Postby TOYZX on Mon, 22 Jul 2019 6:45 +0000

Well that last statement was very true. The amount of people who come back to me wanting to have their suspension turned or reset to how it was when I originally fitted it because they've had a play with it and can't seem to get it right again and make it handle worse. Every customer is given a C spanner to adjust the compression and rebound and are shown how to adjust them but for some people having someone else do it makes it all feel great again. If that makes any sense lol. Probably a good thing they only have the two adjustments!

TOYZX

Postby Mhewitt on Mon, 22 Jul 2019 8:05 +0000

TOYZX wrote:Well that last statement was very true. The amount of people who come back to me wanting to have their suspension turned or reset to how it was when I originally fitted it because they've had a play with it and can't seem to get it right again and make it handle worse. Every customer is given a C spanner to adjust the compression and rebound and are shown how to adjust them but for some people having someone else do it makes it all feel great again. If that makes any sense lol. Probably a good thing they only have the two adjustments!

...anybody who starts to fiddle with even basic adjustability without noting down baseline settings is an idiot.
Mhewitt

Postby abashii on Tue, 23 Jul 2019 6:45 +0000

Does anyone have the open and closed lengths of the BP51s for the gen 8? I found some values for the older models but they look pretty short compared to the stock shocks.
abashii

Postby ggreenie on Tue, 23 Jul 2019 9:06 +0000

Mhewitt wrote:
hiluxxury wrote:

Here's the thing, hiluxxury - me and ggreenie aren't jumping on you to make you feel stupid. There's two reasons I, at least, responded - one, so you did not continue to labour under a misconception, and two, so that later readers of this thread do not receive misinformation.

Likewise.

And you needn’t be offended. This is a suspension thread after all and there’s a pretty big difference between reservoirs and bypass valves...
ggreenie

Postby hiluxxury on Tue, 23 Jul 2019 11:04 +0000

ggreenie wrote:
Mhewitt wrote:
hiluxxury wrote:

Likewise.

And you needn’t be offended. This is a suspension thread after all and there’s a pretty big difference between reservoirs and bypass valves...

You could come across a bit better though.

There is plenty of misinformation about, makes me curious why both of you suddenly jump on this one.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby TOYZX on Tue, 23 Jul 2019 11:18 +0000

Abashii. If ya do a search for the bp51 thread I posted all the lengths for them in it ages ago.

TOYZX

Postby Mhewitt on Tue, 23 Jul 2019 1:05 +0000

hiluxxury wrote:

You could come across a bit better though.

There is plenty of misinformation about, makes me curious why both of you suddenly jump on this one.

Well, again, I can only speak for myself. It's because I actually have a set of BP51s on my ute so have an opinion based on concrete experience - and I also have a reasonable amount of experience in tuning suspension albeit on two wheels rather than four.
Last edited by Mhewitt on Tue, 23 Jul 2019 5:21 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Mhewitt

Postby abashii on Tue, 23 Jul 2019 3:01 +0000

TOYZX wrote:Abashii. If ya do a search for the bp51 thread I posted all the lengths for them in it ages ago.

Ta mate, I'll have a more thorough search tonight. I did look around but only saw some you posted for the gen 7.
abashii

PreviousNext

Return to Suspension