Suspension Upgrade List N80

Suspension Upgrade List N80

Postby Bschotty on Sun, 22 Oct 2017 6:22 +0000

I can't seem to find a comprehensive list of everyone's suspension heights after upgrading their N80's so I thought I'd start one.
I'm hoping this will be a good resource for those in the market for new suspension, also as a reference for those that have already upgraded.
Please post your info and we should be able to get a fairly complete list going after a while. This one will be for 2015+ N80's only. Cheers.

1 - Hilux Model (2017 SR5 Dual cab etc)
2 - Aftermarket Running Gear (only that will affect weight, dual batteries, bull bar etc...)
3 - Brand and Model of aftermarket suspension as well as advertised lift and rating (OME Nitrochargers 2" medium front/rear etc..)
4 - Before lift measurements (from bottom of rim to the guard) - Front/Rear (average between the two sides in mm)
5 - After lift measurements - Front/Rear (average between the two sides in mm)
6 - Final thoughts on the lift, pros/cons, issues etc... overall rating out of 5.

I'll start:

1 - 2017 SR5 Dual Cab
2 - Front - Bull bar, side rails, side steps, winch
Rear - ABS Canopy, rear bar, water tank, drawers/wings, fridge, 105AH battery
3 - OME BP-51's - Medium rear springs (front springs/all dampers are one size-fits all as adjustable)
4 - Stock - 757/798mm
5 - After - 805/805mm
6 - Feel great but went way too soft in the rear for the load I'm carrying hence the sag. Have actually adjusted the dampers a couple of times, I thought it was going to be a pain in the arse but is actually not that bad, takes about 2 minutes and worth doing when on the beach inland tracks to stop hitting the bumpstops, works well. Originally had thems set quite soft and forgot to adjust them after fitting bar work. Stiffened up the compression and rebound and made a world of difference. Way better handling than my previous prado with the nitrochargers.

Ended up changing over the rear springs last week...

After changeover of rear springs:

1 - 2017 SR5 Dual Cab
2 - Front - Bull bar, side rails, side steps, winch
Rear - ABS Canopy, rear bar, water tank, drawers/wings, fridge, 105AH battery
3 - OME BP-51's - 300kg constant rear springs (front springs/all dampers are one size-fits all as adjustable)
4 - Stock - 757/798mm
5 - After - 807/835mm
6 - Adjustable fronts mean I could wind them up to exactly 50mm lift. New rear springs. Can't actually feel much difference when driving from previous set-up however a bit more height in the rear. I'm thinking of putting in an extra leaf to make it the true 50mm that I was hoping for... 4/5. Ride is awesome and adjustable shocks aren't just a gimmick. Not much lift in the rear for a 300kg constant (my weight would be under 300kg). If I could get a true 50mm lift in rear would go a 5.

Cheers!
- Ben
Bschotty

Re: Suspension Upgrade List N80

Postby Mattstopel on Mon, 23 Oct 2017 1:55 +0000

you should use center of the hub to guard as your reference.

This will avoid any confusion with different size wheels.
Mattstopel

Postby Ray230 on Thu, 11 Jan 2018 4:27 +0000

yes, what size rim is on your sr5? 17"?
Ray230

Postby Ray230 on Thu, 11 Jan 2018 4:42 +0000

1 - 2016 SR Dual Cab
2 - Front - ironman bull bar
Rear - AMA alloy tray - no constant load
3 - Bilstein shocks, King springs in the front (101HD). 300kg leaf springs rear
4 - Stock - Didn't get before measurements!
5 - After - 800mm front(17" stock steelies)/ rear hard to say with the tray!
6 - Although probably one of the more expensive lifts on the market, definitely worth the money. Even though I didn't get 'before' measurements, I am confident I got atleast 50mm, if not more in the rear. Car sits fairly level and rides well. The back has softened up nicely so provides a much better ride. Even though I have the HD springs in the front, it's still a very nice ride and hardly notice a difference over the stock suspension. The car handles a lot better and feels nice. The lift is only a few days old so a bit hard to say, but so far I'd give it a 4.5/5
Ray230

Return to Suspension