150kg OME GVM Upgrade front axle?

150kg OME GVM Upgrade front axle?

Postby Bschotty on Tue, 11 Jul 2017 6:50 +0000

Anybody out there have the +150kg OME BP-51 GVM Upgrade done on their N80?
I've booked mine in for a few weeks time. Can't seem to find any specifics with regards to whether the upgrade increases the load capacity on just the rear axle or the front as well... Got quite a bit of weight going in to the front (bullbar, side rails, steps, underbody protection, winch) so hoping it'll increase the rating of the front axle as well. Can't find any specifics on the OME website.
Any input would be appreciated.

- Ben
Bschotty

Re: 150kg OME GVM Upgrade front axle?

Postby creaky on Tue, 11 Jul 2017 9:03 +0000

Geez,

If I were you I'd be wanting that in writing from ARB rather than hearsay from a forum.

They should be able to advise promptly.
creaky

Postby ih8ubarney on Tue, 11 Jul 2017 11:05 +0000

im guessing its just heavy duty coils in the front e.g for 150kgs of accessories... not a gvm upgrade
ih8ubarney

Postby TOYZX on Tue, 11 Jul 2017 4:46 +0000

Almost all ome kits can be used as a gvm upgrade. This must be done b4 your first rego and you extra for certificates and a 2nd stage of manufacturing compliance plate. If ya rego is already done then ya need to shell out for engineers certificates. Thats in nsw anyway.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby William_Foster on Tue, 11 Jul 2017 7:57 +0000

ARB are saying they can do an OME GVM upgrade on the Gen 8 Hilux (Although the OME website doesn't say it can).

Edit: Link to the media release - https://www.arb.com.au/arb-releases-sta ... ota-hilux/

Having said that Bschotty it sounds like you are putting a bit of stress on your front with all your options; usually the GVM upgrade doesn't increase the capacity of the front axle, but I know that Lovell's have previously advertised a front axle increase for the Gen 7, so it may well do. As has previously been stated, just make sure you get everything in writing from the installer about what will be done, to be engineered they will have to provide paperwork supporting the new capacities.

I had my GVM upgrade done after it was registered through Pedders, it wasn't that much of a hassle with the engineering (although changing States wasn't fun, I had to get it re-engineered because not all States talk apparently; Pedders made this process as easy it could be, but it was still a pain). I am happy I got the GVM and not just had the suspension done without it. Its just a piece of mind thing incase something does go wrong, at least I know I'd be covered from an insurance stand point with the extra weight.
2013 Toyota Hilux SR5
4x4 Manual Diesel
William_Foster

Postby Bschotty on Sun, 16 Jul 2017 3:24 +0000

Thanks for the input everyone.
I tally'd up the weights of all my planned add-ons and an estimate of gear/passengers and decided the GVM wasn't really necessary in my case. Opted for a medium spring in the rear instead. My big drive towards a GVM upgrade is that I've previously only owned wagons with their piddly little payloads. The 900+Kg payload of the prado is already 200-300Kgs more than I'm used to. The benefits of a ute!

- Ben
Bschotty

Return to Suspension