Front end clunk - temp sensitive?

Front end clunk - temp sensitive?

Postby Pseudomys on Thu, 17 Nov 2016 7:01 +0000

Hilux SE auto, just 15 months old, only travelled 12K kilometres and no off road. Developed a clunk (like metal on metal) in the front. Predominately when turning left and sounds like it is in the LHS but sometimes in both sides (noise transfer?).

The noise is really difficult to generate when the vehicle is warm (and the air temp warm). This has been a real problem for the mechanics. But really noticeable when cold (say below 12 degrees). Drove through the Snowy when it was snowing a few weeks ago and it clunked all the way, but then the noise was all but imperceptible when when back in warmer climes.

Toyota have been all over the suspension and looking for a loose fitting, with out success (they have been very accommodating). I've emptied the entire vehicle and removed the tow ball etc, but the noise is still there. We have all run out of ideas.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated - and wondered about the temperature thing, is this a clue?
Pseudomys

Re: Front end clunk - temp sensitive?

Postby creaky on Thu, 17 Nov 2016 7:13 +0000

CV ?
creaky

Postby Pseudomys on Thu, 17 Nov 2016 9:20 +0000

Thanks - worth a look.
Pseudomys

Postby sam355 on Thu, 27 Apr 2017 7:59 +0000

Same/very similar issue on my new Hilux!
sam355

Postby Does_it_Dose on Thu, 27 Apr 2017 9:46 +0000

Ever find out what this was? Mine was doing the same thing and after my last service I mentioned it. They said they tightened the suspension and I haven't heard it since so I'm not sure what caused it
Does_it_Dose

Postby Pseudomys on Fri, 28 Apr 2017 2:21 +0000

Does_it_Dose wrote:Ever find out what this was? Mine was doing the same thing and after my last service I mentioned it. They said they tightened the suspension and I haven't heard it since so I'm not sure what caused it
Still there and cuts in when the temp falls below 14 degrees, or there abouts.

They went over the suspension several times and tightens things up - no change

in desperation they loosened the suspension to let it "settle" then tightened it up again - no change.

Now we are back in the cold temps again I will be taking it back for another go.
Pseudomys

Postby sam355 on Sun, 30 Apr 2017 11:21 +0000

Mine came back from the Toyota, they said some suspension nuts and bolts were tightened. Noise still there. They said it might just be the way it is! Its not a huge noise but its like a click click as if something is not quite where it needs to be and clicks in place....
sam355

Postby Pseudomys on Mon, 01 May 2017 5:34 +0000

sam355 wrote:Mine came back from the Toyota, they said some suspension nuts and bolts were tightened. Noise still there. They said it might just be the way it is! Its not a huge noise but its like a click click as if something is not quite where it needs to be and clicks in place....
Hi Sam

This sounds like the problem I have. And yes, the Toyota service have been focused on my suspension, loose wiring etc. With the cold weather back my clunk has returned, and I sometimes get that double clunk. So I noticed the noise when cornering but also when going over a short sharp bump.

I spent some time under the ute last week and I think I might have found the noise.

I am now thinking it is the front drive shafts which have a small amount of play lengthways. I have been able to produce the noise when stationary. Dont know if this play is normal, but I've never noticed the noise when travelling in someone else's hilux.

Will run this past Toyota at the next service.
Pseudomys

Postby sam355 on Mon, 01 May 2017 5:51 +0000

Hi Pseudomys,
Thanks for sharing your findings. Do you have the original tyres on or different? I have BF Goodrich All terrain on. Also could you please tell me how were you able to reproduce the noise when stationary? If I can do the same I will take it back to the dealer and ask them to replace the drive shafts.... Don`t want to cause damage to other parts if its a faulty drive shaft....

Its sounds like exactly the same noise as mine, click click or some times just one click especially over sharp speed bumps or pot holes on the road or when the steering wheel is turned slightly....

Thanks,
Sam
Last edited by sam355 on Fri, 05 May 2017 9:12 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
sam355

Postby Pseudomys on Mon, 01 May 2017 7:17 +0000

sam355 wrote:Hi Pseudomys,
Thanks for sharing your findings. Do you have the original tyres on or different? I have 265/65 R18 BFGs on. Also could you please tell me how were you able to reproduce the noise when stationary? If I can do the same I will take it back to the dealer and ask them to replace the drive shafts.... Don`t want to cause damage to other parts if its a faulty drive shaft....

Its sounds like exactly the same noise as mine, click click or some times just one click especially over sharp speed bumps or pot holes on the road or when the steering wheel is turned slightly....

Thanks,
Sam
Hi Sam,

the Tyres are original and like you, my hilux was a new vehicle when I noticed this noise.

I checked the vehicle when stationary with the wheels turned to the left, turning left is when I first noticed the noise. Then grabbing the drive shaft and moving it laterally - end to end. It was cold at the time and I was able to reproduce the clunk one way and another clunk the other.

Just wondering if you had any effect from the temperature - the noise in my vehicle disappears when its above 14 -15 degrees?

Cheers
Garry
Pseudomys

Postby Qwerty on Mon, 01 May 2017 7:53 +0000

Had something similiar, drove me insane. In the end it waas a slightly loose bullbar mount that would only do it with a bit of chassis flexxing and randomly turning. Wasnt temp sensitive though.

Took a guy sitting on my bonnet hanging off the front whilst driving aroudn in a carpark going over kerbs, to figure it out.
Qwerty

Postby sam355 on Tue, 02 May 2017 12:12 +0000

Thanks for the reply Garry,
I`m not too sure about the temperature but thinking about it, when I start using the truck initially its more noticeable then less, maybe temperature related. Now that you mentioned will keep and eye on it, right now here in the UK the temperature is below 15 some days and above other days so should be able to test it theory...

Are you planing to get the drive shaft changed under warranty? I wouldn't think its normal!?

Cheers,
Sam
sam355

Postby Pseudomys on Tue, 02 May 2017 5:44 +0000

sam355 wrote:Thanks for the reply Garry,
I`m not too sure about the temperature but thinking about it, when I start using the truck initially its more noticeable then less, maybe temperature related. Now that you mentioned will keep and eye on it, right now here in the UK the temperature is below 15 some days and above other days so should be able to test it theory...

Are you planing to get the drive shaft changed under warranty? I wouldn't think its normal!?

Cheers,
Sam
HI Sam,

Toyota have been very supportive - so far and will bring the issue to them at the next service. I think the temperature thing is related to the cold causing a small contraction in the length of the shaft just giving enough slack in the system for the shaft to clunk (Just my theory). But there must be an anomaly somewhere in the system. I've used various hilux models in my work for decades and have friends that have driven them for years and never heard of this problem before.

Cheers
Garry
Pseudomys

Postby sam355 on Fri, 05 May 2017 9:18 +0000

Went back in to my local Toyota dealer today and spoke to the same service manager. They are keen to find out too and are very helpful. He booked in back in next week for another inspection. I mentioned the possible drive shaft issue... I`ll try and see if I can reproduce the sound while stationary. I guess if you can do that then you kind of have a smoking gun...
sam355

Postby sam355 on Sat, 13 May 2017 2:50 +0000

Garry,
My truck came back from Toyota yesterday. I used it all day today, not a single clunk!!! Posted the issue on the HPOC which is a UK Hilux forum the night before took it to the dealer. A member replied with below info. Printed the notes for the dealer, they checked all areas noted and re-torqued... Noise gone! here is the reply:

"(I had the same problem. Mine also started after about 1500 to 2000 miles. It sounds like a faulty front suspension component or bush that clanks when going over bumps doesn't it. It isn't the suspension. I too had the suspension checked at first. I also felt that temperature affected it. It's the same problem.

What it is - is something on the bulkhead under the bonnet. I can't be absolutely specific because the mechanics re-seated two or three things that are bolted to the bulkhead and the problem was gone. One of the things re-seated was the brake master cylinder. They also re tightened the bonnet bolts/hinges. The Dealers demo did it too - obviously a fairly common problem.)"

Great to be member of forums like this!

Sam
sam355

Postby Pseudomys on Thu, 01 Jun 2017 2:11 +0000

Found - clunk, temperature sensitive in front of my Hilux. Toyota are to be commended on finally tracking down the clunk. It appears to be the cabling for my Anderson plug, heavy gauge cable, was run through the chassis member. Here it hung and swung to and fro when I turned corners or went over a short sharp bump and clunk. Seems that when cold the cable shrunk slightly so was more likely to hit the inside of the chassis member. Just about impossible to detect visually. Smart move by Toyota to use a microphone to test the vehicle while being driven (by another person) and bingo.

Problem is I will either have to replace the wiring or live with it as its impossible to access and put some cable ties on it. At least I know its not the suspension.
Pseudomys

Postby Steveyb on Thu, 01 Jun 2017 2:41 +0000

Good work, if it's in conduit and has no cable ties just push a bit more down there so it snakes and sits instead of knocking around it'll be no more likely to rub through compared to now.
NLC
Steveyb

Postby Qwerty on Thu, 01 Jun 2017 5:57 +0000

Or pull the lead a bit tighter and cable tie it to hold tension

What a find , I'm surprised Toyota didn't want to charge you for it !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Qwerty

Postby TOYZX on Thu, 01 Jun 2017 8:04 +0000

Dunno why people go to the trouble of running it through the chassis! Makes it almost impossible to find and fix a problem if one occurs.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby brickmark on Thu, 21 May 2020 2:11 +0000

A few years ago this happened to me but only early on winter mornings. Wheel alignment from Tire shop (not from Toyota apprentice) seemed to fix it
brickmark

Return to Suspension