Suggestions for Mounting UHF antenna to Rugged X bar.

Suggestions for Mounting UHF antenna to Rugged X bar.

Postby spudkopf on Wed, 24 Feb 2021 11:03 +0000

G'day

Just installed a GME XRS into my 2018 X and would like to know where others have installed there antennas.

My aim is to be as unobtrusive as possible (little or no visible leads) and would prefer a non destructive approach (would prefer not to drill big holes).

Due to my set up the two key locations I have narrowed down thus far are the front bar, or somewhere on the sports bar, keeping in mind the above caveats. In addition I have had some custom mounts made up which I use to mount my matrax's to the sports bar (see the attached image), which complicates things a little.

I'd also prefer to avoid the roof, even though this is nominally the most ideal location.

However with all that said, I'm at this stage still open to all suggestions.

Cheers David

spudkopf

Re: Suggestions for Mounting UHF antenna to Rugged X bar.

Postby martynvella on Thu, 25 Feb 2021 7:59 +0000

Looking at where you are parked height is another issue you have.
I have a 2013 SR5 and didnt have a bar at the time, mucked around for ages trying to find something but just ended up getting a mounting tab welded to the sports bar low on the side support so the antenna was in free space but not much higher than the top of the bar when the 6 inch whip was fitted. I have a higher gain antenna for the same elevated mount base but have never needed to use it.
Ran the coax through the bar with one hole with a rubber grommet.
Not so simple with yours being painted.
martynvella

Postby spudkopf on Thu, 25 Feb 2021 10:39 +0000

G'day

Thanks for the reply, even though I took the picture in the garage, this is a rare treat for the girl, as the wife has claimed possession as her own and relegated us to the carport of the shed, so she's only in there while I'm fitting the UHF (by that seems to be taking a long time, wink).

That said I do wish to keep the antenna as low as is practical aiming to keep it level with the line of the roof tray or there about's for low dBi usage and then screwing in a longer whip when out in open territory.

I've seen pictures of sports bar style solution like your own, and was thinking if only Toyota had done something similar out of the factory then I'd be set, but you've now got thinking whether I could bolt something to the upper fillet plate between the two bars, these are not 90°vertical so will need to work out the actual angle and get something custom made up, but it deserves further thought.

As an interim solution I contemplating installing the GME AE5004 clear on-glass antenna or getting a magnetic mount until I actually sort things out.

Cheers
spudkopf

Postby martynvella on Thu, 25 Feb 2021 12:53 +0000

when you say the front bar, what are you referring to?
martynvella

Postby spudkopf on Thu, 25 Feb 2021 1:16 +0000

G'day

The hoopless bull bar

Cheers
spudkopf

Postby usewhenrequired on Mon, 22 Mar 2021 12:12 +0000

usewhenrequired

Return to Tips & Tricks