ARB battery tray bcdc mount

ARB battery tray bcdc mount

Postby johnaw on Fri, 12 May 2017 7:56 +0000

Hey guys,

I just bought a 2017 sr5 and I'm looking into installing a dual battery setup. ARB sell a battery tray with a mount plate for the bcdc charger on the side. The charger starts to derate from 55 degrees on. Redarc suggest mounting the charger between the grill and the radiator. Is this a just to cover themselves. Would the battery tray mount be sufficient or do you think it would hit those derate tempretures.
johnaw

Re: ARB battery tray bcdc mount

Postby TOYZX on Fri, 12 May 2017 8:35 +0000

Have mounted plenty in both locations and have had any come back with issues yet!

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
TOYZX

Postby berniecam on Sat, 13 May 2017 6:37 +0000

[quote="Hey guys,

I just bought a 2017 sr5 and I'm looking into installing a dual battery setup. ARB sell a battery tray with a mount plate for the bcdc charger on the side. The charger starts to derate from 55 degrees on. Redarc suggest mounting the charger between the grill and the radiator. Is this a just to cover themselves. Would the battery tray mount be sufficient or do you think it would hit those derate tempretures.[/quote]
Hi johnaw" Yes it is possible to mount in both locations, but here is something to think about the coolest air comes in behind the grill goes through the intercooler then the air con condenser then finally the radiator that the fan pulls it or at high speed it may get enough draft now when you think the radiators job is to remove high temperature from the water that has just come from the engine combustion process including the turbo given that it is a pressurised system to raise the boiling point of water to recycle the water the heat is transferred from the radiator by the passing air through it then blows around the engine bay & certainly some of the turbo & exhaust heat would make it to that spot where the redarc unit is mounted on the tray & you can bet your life it is far hotter than 55 deg. I have personally mounted the redarc chargers on two vehicles I have had & always behind the grill in front of radiator on the left hand side it would be a far better choice. Redarc are a great aussie company & they realy know what they are talking about take there advice.
Cheers. :)
berniecam

Postby numberplate on Sun, 14 May 2017 5:51 +0000

There is enough room to mount a BCDC in front of the main battery , if you make a bracket for it. mines in there and never gets hot.
numberplate

Postby MarkTGood on Sun, 14 May 2017 7:55 +0000

I was told that the charger should be mounted so that the charger and the battery are at roughly the same temperature.

As the charge battery temp increases it's necessary to reduce the charge rate accordingly if you want to maximise the life of your battery.

Lots of information here if you're interested. http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/arti ... mperatures

At the end of the day I left the charger at the original Toyota location as it was easier with the supplied harness. (Toyota dual battery kit)

If I was to do it again I would move the cranking battery to the 2nd battery tray and put the 2nd battery and charger where the cranking battery lives and that way it should be cooler and you could mount the charger near the grill.

Mark
MarkTGood

Postby Dean90 on Tue, 16 May 2017 10:33 +0000

I mounted mine behind the grill on the longranger bracket. I've had no issues with it and I am confident that it's the best place to mount it to keep the charger cool and functioning at its full capacity.
Dean90

Postby petmik on Sat, 31 Mar 2018 3:44 +0000

Hi fellas. I know this topic is just under 12 months old now so apologies. I've just bought the 2018 Hilux and also purchased the bcdc mounting bracket from ARB. There has been a slight change to the grill that doesn't allow room for the bcdc bracket to be fitted in that location anymore ( not without cutting away some of the grill). Does anyone have any experience with mounting this on the 2018 Hilux SR5 yet?
petmik

Postby Tomm081 on Mon, 11 Jun 2018 7:11 +0000

Hi mate, not 100% helpful for you unfortunately, but considering that you have no replies, I have a 2016 and my bcdc is sitting on the battery tray next to the battery. Yes heat can be an issue and I have seen them mounted up front however I constantly monitor my battery charge and it usually holds 14.5/14.6v when on boost mode. Had it in since new and still getting max performance out of it. Just powered my 80 l Engel for a day and a half with no input what so ever and only dropped from 12.8 to 12.4 volts... it seems that theoretically mounting up front would be best however if u can’t I don’t think it’s going to be the end of the world... I would have imagined that it’s the temp of the battery itself that would be the main factor.

Tom
Tomm081

Postby Myralga on Mon, 11 Jun 2018 7:48 +0000

petmik wrote:Hi fellas. I know this topic is just under 12 months old now so apologies. I've just bought the 2018 Hilux and also purchased the bcdc mounting bracket from ARB. There has been a slight change to the grill that doesn't allow room for the bcdc bracket to be fitted in that location anymore ( not without cutting away some of the grill). Does anyone have any experience with mounting this on the 2018 Hilux SR5 yet?

What’s the change you speak of bud have you got some photos would love to help.
Seen plenty fit up front both Long ranger and arb. But must admit I’m not sure about 18 on wasn’t aware of any change to the SR5.
Rogue and the rugged yes they have new grills. Yet to see them fit up though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Postby Gradica on Wed, 24 Oct 2018 6:58 +0000

I don't know that the temp is going to be your issued on the redarc side. The biggest problem with dual battery on the lux is the alternator does not send enough voltage once it has charged the crank battery so the redarc bcdc doesn't charge fast enough between trips. usually seeing no more than 13.2-13.5 - which is too low. Others have the same issue on the new hilux's.
Gradica

Return to Tips & Tricks