Rear seat mod on 2016

Rear seat mod on 2016

Postby anthonypham67 on Tue, 24 May 2016 10:31 +0000

Is the rear seat mod to allow easy access to the space behind the backrest possible with the new hilux?
I can't figure out how to fold the backrest to reveal the hooks.
anthonypham67

Re: Rear seat mod on 2016

Postby nicovdw on Wed, 25 May 2016 6:53 +0000

No.

I had the whole back seat out to fit a sub, and noticed that the rear seat back does not pivot with the bracket. In addition, when lifting the seat in the older lux, it would push the seatback up slightly, allowing it to clip out after the adjustments have been made. With the new model, it is 100% rigid.

Here are some pics:

Pic of what is going on under the carpet.

Closeup of the new bracket to hold the seat up. Looks like they really don't want anyone doing the seat mod anymore, as lifting the bottom seat does not budge the top half of the seat, and the seat cannot fold down anyway, even with this unclipped.

Back of seat, in case anyone is interested:
nicovdw

Postby ih8ubarney on Wed, 25 May 2016 8:54 +0000

nico, did you happen to take any picks of the sub in position before you put the seat back?
or details of what you squeezed in?

would love a bit (or a lot) more base
ih8ubarney

Postby berniecam on Wed, 25 May 2016 5:21 +0000

nicovdw wrote:No.

I had the whole back seat out to fit a sub, and noticed that the rear seat back does not pivot with the bracket. In addition, when lifting the seat in the older lux, it would push the seatback up slightly, allowing it to clip out after the adjustments have been made. With the new model, it is 100% rigid.

Here are some pics:

Pic of what is going on under the carpet.

Closeup of the new bracket to hold the seat up. Looks like they really don't want anyone doing the seat mod anymore, as lifting the bottom seat does not budge the top half of the seat, and the seat cannot fold down anyway, even with this unclipped.

Back of seat, in case anyone is interested:

Hi nicovdw. Thank you for your info on this matter I am also about to remove the back seat to install an ARB compressor behind it ( have extended the air outlet with a piece of flexible air hose & put a plug & lead to feed power to it.)looks like anything we put in there cannot be accessed without removing the whole seat again. ( geez they TOYOTA are a mob of bastards doing that to us.) all that lovely space for storage behind the seat & we cannot easily get to it.DAMM--DAMM :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
berniecam

Postby apSlain on Wed, 25 May 2016 5:30 +0000

Thanks for the research and having the foresight to take some pictures, nicovdw.

As iterated by many, that's quite a disappointing decision from Toyota. There's a fair amount of potential storage space there (in the generation seven 'Lux, anyway). I know the D-MAX has that area readily available via a latch though they don't have anywhere near as much space behind the seat nor under them.
Check out Slain's Overlander, a perpetual work-in-progress.
apSlain

Postby nicovdw on Wed, 25 May 2016 5:35 +0000

I fitted a little all in one Kicker Hidaway in there, but once you remove the carpeting there is enough space to put any slimline sub in there.

It fills in the lows really nicely, while still bein nicely balanced, and anything louder will need a speaker upgrade. Also, I already have a bit of tinitus from mistrating my ears in my younger days, so this is plenty loud for me in the second half of my life :)
nicovdw

Postby ih8ubarney on Wed, 25 May 2016 8:53 +0000

Thanks nico,
Nice to know there is a easy solution with out needing to go for a full custom solution
ih8ubarney

Postby nicovdw on Wed, 25 May 2016 8:56 +0000

Yeah. I spliced them into the rears, but I think there is a crossover in there somewhere, so thinking of relocating to the front.
nicovdw

Postby Canyoner on Fri, 27 May 2016 7:24 +0000

I have removed the white plastic panel behind the centre arm rest. First remove the seat easily done as only 5 bolts hold it in. Then carefully undo the stitching around the plastic. Then remove the plastic and the material covering it. You then need to sew back on the seat covering clamps, this can be done slowly by hand or get a handheld sewing machine ($20 ebay). Once this is done re-clip the covering and it will pull it all in nice and tight. You are then left with a hole when the armrest is down. When up its all hidden (so great place to hide valuables etc). You can then reach in and put whatever behind the seat. I put heavy things like spare parts and recovery stuff down the bottom and then use small bags to stuff soft things in on top and its amazing how much will fit in there. The kids love it too as they keep their stuff right at the entry. You just need to remember what you put in there.
Canyoner

Postby Nic_Lux16 on Thu, 16 Jun 2016 10:23 +0000

Canyoner wrote:I have removed the white plastic panel behind the centre arm rest. First remove the seat easily done as only 5 bolts hold it in. Then carefully undo the stitching around the plastic. Then remove the plastic and the material covering it. You then need to sew back on the seat covering clamps, this can be done slowly by hand or get a handheld sewing machine ($20 ebay). Once this is done re-clip the covering and it will pull it all in nice and tight. You are then left with a hole when the armrest is down. When up its all hidden (so great place to hide valuables etc). You can then reach in and put whatever behind the seat. I put heavy things like spare parts and recovery stuff down the bottom and then use small bags to stuff soft things in on top and its amazing how much will fit in there. The kids love it too as they keep their stuff right at the entry. You just need to remember what you put in there.
Thanks for the idea Canyoner.
Do you have any pictures?
Nic_Lux16

Postby Dreamer58 on Thu, 08 Jun 2017 8:46 +0000

On a different note, has anyone ever tried to fit one of those water bladders you can get off ebay? They are a hanging type and the manufacturer (flexymake) claim they are especially designed for the Hilux. They are supposed to be designed so they hang off the clips behind the back seat. However, mine being a 17 model and from what I'm reading on this thread, the 16 as well, the back seat does not swing forward. So my question is has anyone with a back seat that doesn't swing forward fitted one of these bladders and if so any issues fitting them. Thanks in advance for your help and advise.
Dreamer58

Postby mcflux on Sun, 30 Jul 2017 3:48 +0000

Bump

Is there a way for just the rear seat bases to be removed?

Thanks
2016 SR HiRider - <Thread>
Factory Options: Premium bullbar, tub liner, tow pack
Additions: IPF900 spotlights + 20" LED bar, tint, TJM canopy
mcflux

Postby Myralga on Sat, 02 Sep 2017 4:08 +0000

I gotta bump this too.

like dreamer58 I am hoping to put a bladder behind here but haven't been in this space yet, does anyone know any severe sharp edges etc to be aware of???
also dreamer most of the bladders on the market are for 5-15 I have an old one and will have to retrofit it into new one gonna be fun I think. especially with leather seat option.
Myralga

Postby DrFish on Fri, 02 Feb 2018 12:11 +0000

Thinking of putting 120-170Ah KickAss slimline battery behind seat with dc-dc charger.
Anyone tried this, does anyone know the dimensions of the available space?

Thanks in advance.

Art.
DrFish

Postby damon27 on Thu, 15 Feb 2018 7:28 +0000

Myralga wrote:I gotta bump this too.

like dreamer58 I am hoping to put a bladder behind here but haven't been in this space yet, does anyone know any severe sharp edges etc to be aware of???
also dreamer most of the bladders on the market are for 5-15 I have an old one and will have to retrofit it into new one gonna be fun I think. especially with leather seat option.

Dreamer58 wrote:On a different note, has anyone ever tried to fit one of those water bladders you can get off ebay? They are a hanging type and the manufacturer (flexymake) claim they are especially designed for the Hilux. They are supposed to be designed so they hang off the clips behind the back seat. However, mine being a 17 model and from what I'm reading on this thread, the 16 as well, the back seat does not swing forward. So my question is has anyone with a back seat that doesn't swing forward fitted one of these bladders and if so any issues fitting them. Thanks in advance for your help and advise.

Hey dreamer58 and Myralga, thinking of going down the same path, retro fitting a 05-15 water bladder into my 17. Did you guys have any luck with this mod?
Cheers
damon27

Postby lobes on Wed, 02 May 2018 12:11 +0000

Hey guys,

new here.

I just had my ARB put some power sockets put on the back shelf for fridges. I plan on removing the backseats for trips to have my fridges there giving me a heap more space in the back of the cab.

I have a 18 SR5+ (Dual cab) will the seat belt thingy go crazy if i remove the seats and unplug them? the dude at ARB said it would most likely happen, but wasn't there when i picked up the car. I cbf removing these just for a test, and would like to know prior to a trip!

was suggested there probably would be a block off plug to trick the computer into thinking the seats are engaged or something.

look forward to hearing from someone!
lobes

Postby Silverfox1111 on Wed, 02 May 2018 1:57 +0000

I've got my rear seat out now & there's no beeping. 2017 sr5.
Silverfox
Silverfox1111

Postby Stephen.Coff on Thu, 10 May 2018 7:05 +0000

I have an 18 SR5DC and from memory on start up the front light flashes indicating seat belts not clipped in. Once driving if a previously plugged in seat belt is unplugged it will continually beep otherwise won't just light on dash flash for a short period.
2018 Dual Cab Hilux SR5+
Stephen.Coff

Postby Myralga on Thu, 10 May 2018 7:48 +0000

So I have 17 SR5 with leather.
Just finished a 10,000km trip

Two points.
Firstly I installed (very basic install I must admit) a 80L bladder behind the seat was worried about the weight and how to mount it but realized because it’s sitting on the floor the floors taking the weight. So the high tensile wire frame on the rear of the seat was used to hold the top up (just with zip ties) and used foam packing around any sharp protrusions.
Worked a treat.

Secondly I pulled out part of the base of the 60/40 bench. Pulled the 60 side. No beeps no warnings nothing. I had 3 people in the car all the time. Also note there are no wires going into the rear seat at all. So the only sensor must be in the belt buckle itself leave it in place and the computer won’t know any different.

One thing to note on the bladder.
Found a problem after we returned but a simple one.
When the bladder is full it places pressure on the middle seatbelt. I never noticed on the trip because I didn’t have the seat in to use it. It Won’t move (the ratchet engages like your driving on a corrugated road or it’s gripping on the plastic) drain tank mostly it worked fine.
So I will find a way to encase the belt so it’s shielded from the tank.
Silly fault but easy to fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Postby Kegzy on Sun, 20 Dec 2020 6:21 +0000

Bumping.
Also wanting to have a slimline battery and dcdc charger behind the seat.
Kegzy

Next

Return to Tips & Tricks