2016 SR5 - Auto Lights Sensitivity.

Re: 2016 SR5 - Auto Lights Sensitivity.

Postby PinzVidz on Sat, 01 Apr 2017 3:54 +0000

Just picked up a 2017 SR5, did Piratepete's procedure and all good, -40 to stop the nonsense with auto headlights and shady trees etc. Normally these adjustments can be made in Techstream for most Toyotas with auto headlights, but obviously not with Hilux (and Fortuner).

Now to see if the following options can be done by some wacky procedure, as they aren't available in Techstream either;

- Auto headlights on long delay (to prevent lights coming on when passing under bridges/overpasses)
- Lighting timing adjustments (mainly interior light timings)
- Operating power windows via smart entry fob from distance (this can be done with LC200 Sahara, all 150 series Prado, 50 series Camry etc.)
- 2 stage unlock (only when unlocking via smart fob unlock button, good for extra security)
- Link folding mirrors to locking/unlocking

Speaking of smart entry, cannot believe Toyota has deleted the bio sensor behind the door handle on Hilux, which is on all other models in the Toyota range with smart entry. Cost-cutting, grrrrrr...
PinzVidz

Postby lucky13 on Sun, 09 Apr 2017 11:50 +0000

XHPBT1 wrote:What scan tool can I buy so I can play with all these settings

+1 Would love to have a crack at these settings. My dealer hasn't been very accommodating to any requests so far.

EDIT: Found this XHPBT1
lucky13

Postby MrTimms on Sun, 09 Apr 2017 5:06 +0000

PinzVidz wrote:- Operating power windows via smart entry fob from distance (this can be done with LC200 Sahara, all 150 series Prado, 50 series Camry etc.)

+1 WANT...
MrTimms

Postby j rayner on Tue, 03 Jul 2018 5:16 +0000

brill merkin,,,ill give it a go,,,,,,,is there any way i can turn the lights off completely when driving,?
j rayner

Techstream - how to adjust auto light sensitivity?

Postby rusty66 on Sun, 14 Oct 2018 4:51 +0000

Greetings,

Has anyone got info on how to set the auto headlights come on later on a 2017 Hilux using Techstream?

When driving a short underpass or even underneath a tree for just a second or two the main light goes on and the dash light changes, which annoys me greatly.
I have got hold of Techstream (V13) and found how to change the custom options, but I can't see any setting for the auto light.

If anyone can point me to the right direction that'd be great.

Cheers!
Boris
rusty66

Techstream - how to adjust auto light sensitivity?

Postby SEJ GLX-R on Mon, 15 Oct 2018 3:24 +0000

Try this, it worked on mine.....

Piratepete wrote:Ok. So don't be upset if you don't get it the first time.

1) switch ignition to on
2) make sure dimmer switch is in lowbeam and not pushed forward into constant high beam
3) turn light switch onto parker setting

4) turn ignition off
5)Hold headlights into highbeam
6)While highbeam is pulled on, turn to headlight than back to parker ( not auto) 5 times

7)Release high beam
( the headlamps will flash in relation to what setting they are currently set on. It should flash 3 times with the setting being 0 )( if they don't flash you and not in the settings.)

8) Hold highbeam on again and turn between headlight and parker setting.

The number of times you turn it will vary the sensitivity.
Once -40
Twice -20
Three 0
Four +20
Five +40

9) Once you have turned between headlamps and parker for your desired preference release the highbeam.

The headlamps will flash for the number that you have selected.

And once it flashes say once, you are all complete [emoji3] [emoji3]

I personally have mine set to -40 and find it perfect but if you want to try -20 give it a shot.

Now bend over touch your toes while turning your head in circles. [emoji14]
SEJ GLX-R

Postby DeadlyBeast on Mon, 15 Oct 2018 6:37 +0000

Thanks SEJ

Threads merged
DeadlyBeast

Postby jimO on Tue, 16 Oct 2018 4:49 +0000

lights come on lights go off who cares?
jimO

Re: Techstream - how to adjust auto light sensitivity?

Postby Micky1 on Tue, 16 Oct 2018 5:19 +0000

SEJ GLX-R wrote:Try this, it worked on mine.....

Piratepete wrote:Ok. So don't be upset if you don't get it the first time.

1) switch ignition to on
2) make sure dimmer switch is in lowbeam and not pushed forward into constant high beam
3) turn light switch onto parker setting

4) turn ignition off
5)Hold headlights into highbeam
6)While highbeam is pulled on, turn to headlight than back to parker ( not auto) 5 times

7)Release high beam
( the headlamps will flash in relation to what setting they are currently set on. It should flash 3 times with the setting being 0 )( if they don't flash you and not in the settings.)

Thanks for the info have set mine to -20 and will test over the coming week, hope it stops the issue with trees :)

8) Hold highbeam on again and turn between headlight and parker setting.

The number of times you turn it will vary the sensitivity.
Once -40
Twice -20
Three 0
Four +20
Five +40

9) Once you have turned between headlamps and parker for your desired preference release the highbeam.

The headlamps will flash for the number that you have selected.

And once it flashes say once, you are all complete [emoji3] [emoji3]

I personally have mine set to -40 and find it perfect but if you want to try -20 give it a shot.

Now bend over touch your toes while turning your head in circles. [emoji14]

Thanks set mine to -20 hope it stops the issues with trees :-)
Micky1

Postby bop on Wed, 12 Dec 2018 4:41 +0000

hi folks. got this issue here in dark old Britain. hate not being in control of my lights and them coming on randomly in the slightest shade. even activates in bright sunshine if it's low in the sky and coming from the wrong direction. people think you are flashing them could cause an accident or road rage. set mine to lowest sensitivity but still does it. have ordered a clear light sensor cover from thailand to replace the smoked original type. but not arrived yet. maybe that will fix it. even thought of inventing a cover with an led inside to shine into the sensor, maybe charged by a tiny solar panel on top. the truck is great in so many ways but this feature drives me insane. :evil:
bop

Postby grunf on Wed, 12 Dec 2018 3:33 +0000

just drive with parkers on
18 SR auto, Bullbar, winch, Snorkel, Towbar, TowPro, Stedi LED’s, Dobinsons GVM upgrade, Steel tray, Aluminium Canopy, ARB on-board air compressor, Diff breathers, BFG MT KM3 265/70-R17, Uneek4x4 rocksliders, Frontier LR fuel tank etc
grunf

Postby bop on Wed, 12 Dec 2018 4:16 +0000

Hi, yes parkers being what we call side lights here in the UK I guess ... been doing that but they are dimmer than the daytime running lights of course ... its not so bad now that i changed the halogen headlights for the l.e.d. units from an Invincible model ... also if I wind the little headlight aiming wheel downwards during the day time then it looks a bit less like I am flashing other motorists when the auto lights decide to deploy themselves. Am hoping the clear light sensor lens will alleviate the issue although to change it I will have to unscrew part of the dashboard on that side. And while I'm doing that maybe re align things so the blue high beam light which has half disappeared from the instrument cluster comes back into view :lol:
bop

Postby bop on Fri, 14 Dec 2018 3:09 +0000

update ... the clear light sensor cover seems to have solved the problem, the auto lights now behave as you would expect and work at night but didn't trigger once today... not sure where the darkness point is with them yet, who knows i might even need to increase the sensitivity! It involved unscrewing the "clocks" although didn't need to actually disconnect them, then reaching under the top part of the dash with a pair of pliers to squeeze the lugs holding the sensor assembly allowing it to pop out of the top, the connector could then be detached and the original smoked sensor lens carefully prised off and swapped for the clear one. Only downside is that the clear lens is visibly reflected slightly in the windscreen as the rest of the dashboard is dark :cry:
bop

Postby bop on Sat, 15 Dec 2018 5:02 +0000

works like a dream now...just as you would expect an automatic light system to...finally this feature is an asset rather than a liability...would still be nice to be able to run the truck at night while stationary with the option of no front lights coming on but you can't have everything I guess :D
bop

Postby rusty66 on Mon, 17 Dec 2018 5:29 +0000

Hi bop,
Would you have a parts number or link for the cover. I’m also pretty annoyed by the lights going on at the slightest drop in outside light.
Cheers
Boris
rusty66

Postby grunf on Mon, 17 Dec 2018 1:49 +0000

It still beggars belief that we as owners are not able to control the lights on this stupid car.
Friend of mine works in security industry and they have always used hilux as one of the main cars in their fleet.
They have now moved on to a different manufacturer as it is sometimes imperative (for obvious reasons) to have their lights off whilst car is working parked somewhere and they can not do that anymore with hilux.
18 SR auto, Bullbar, winch, Snorkel, Towbar, TowPro, Stedi LED’s, Dobinsons GVM upgrade, Steel tray, Aluminium Canopy, ARB on-board air compressor, Diff breathers, BFG MT KM3 265/70-R17, Uneek4x4 rocksliders, Frontier LR fuel tank etc
grunf

Postby bop on Wed, 19 Dec 2018 4:32 +0000

bop

Postby bop on Wed, 19 Dec 2018 4:51 +0000

15 USD plus shipping for a tiny piece of clear plastic! but worth every penny to me. The auto lights is a really good concept but the hyper sensitivity was making me feel anxious and depressed every time i drove the vehicle due to the unpredictability of the lights. Now working exactly as it should with the clear lens which is a perfect fit for the old one. The headlights automatically come on at dusk now but not in random bits of shade or the dull days we have here now in the British winter gloom, when the drl's are doing their job as visibility is pretty good and does not justify headlights. And if I think the side or headlights should be on, including rears of course for showing your position to vehicles behind, in rainy conditions for example, you know what, I can actually choose to put them on myself if I require them. Took me about half an hour to change the lens working slowly and carefully to avoid snapping stuff in uncharted territory. As am not that good at d.i.y. and fearful of damaging vehicle which still under warranty. Although now i have done one light sensor it would be only a ten minute job next time lol :D
bop

Postby Sartor on Fri, 01 Mar 2019 7:30 +0000

Just to clear something: which setting do you call "parker" - is it fog lights or regular beam?
Thanks!
Sartor

Postby PinzVidz on Wed, 06 Mar 2019 11:21 +0000

Sartor wrote:Just to clear something: which setting do you call "parker" - is it fog lights or regular beam?
Thanks!

Neither. Parkers is the headlight switch position between AUTO and headlights. DRLs dimmed down, tail lights and dash switch lights are on, with no headlights at all.
PinzVidz

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks