2016 wont move in reverse

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

2016 wont move in reverse

Postby Hazzy on Tue, 01 Feb 2022 1:04 +0000

Hello All, I have a 2016 Auto Hilux and twice now when I have put it in reverse it wont move, it's like the hand brake is stuck on. When I put it in drive and move forward a small amount, then back into reverse, it moves fine. I have spoken to my local Toyota service center and they tell me it's the brakes sticking on because the vehicle has sat for a period of time (which it often does). Does this sound right? or should I be investigating further? 65000 kays on the clock. Any advice welcome
Hazzy

Re: 2016 wont move in reverse

Postby Toyanon on Tue, 01 Feb 2022 8:49 +0000

Hi Hazzy,

Your gearbox utilizes two brakes(multi plate clutch packs) to achieve reverse gear, these being brakes #2 and #3. Brake #2 is also utilized in 1st gear engine braking, while brake #3 is used in 3rd and 5th gear.

If you don't have any trouble in these other areas, I would lean towards the internals of your gearbox being ok. However can't be 100% certain without viewing/testing your vehicle. It has been known for brake #2 to fail in these boxes, especially when used in mining environments where vehicles are overloaded, shoved into 1st, and descend a pit.

From what you have described does sound like potentially like the dealer was on the right track. Over adjusted handbrake, no lubrication on backing plate, mud/dirt on shoes, all possible. The fact it goes forwards but not backwards to begin is interesting, like something is getting bound up, maybe the leading shoe isn't secure?

Let me know what you think.
Toyanon

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 02 Feb 2022 5:14 +0000

Hi Toyanon, it sounds like you know your stuff. Welcome to newhilux crew, it's always good to have some expertise here to help others.
Hazzy I would have gone that way too, rear brake shoe dragging, they tend to release when moving forward. If you leave your Hilux for long periods, I would leave the handbrake off and transmission in park. That's what I do and it hasn't locked brakes ever. I leave mine parked for a couple of months at a time and no problems ;) The other possibility that happens to mine, if the vehicle has been standing for a long while, the fluid in the transmission drains from the galleries and torque converter so it takes a while for the fluid to fill again, making the vehicle sluggish to move either direction. Just needs a little extra revs to get things flowing again ;)
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Hazzy on Wed, 02 Feb 2022 10:01 +0000

Legends, thanks for the feedback
Hazzy

Postby raili on Wed, 02 Feb 2022 2:53 +0000

..had this also already once on my new Hilux (3500 km).
Felt definitely as a stuck break pad rear, the first attempts to brake in forward slow nearly blocked the rear wheels, reverse gear without extra revs did not move the vehicle at all. After some minutes of driving in the city the problem went away.....

Cheers, Raimund
Cheers, Raimund
Hilux MY 21 2,8D AT
raili

Return to Drive Train Components