Transmission cooler

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Transmission cooler

Postby Damien-murray on Sun, 30 Aug 2020 4:28 +0000

Hey ladies and gents I am new to the Hilux community I used to have landcruisers and manual ones at that so I have a 2015 gun126R lux auto.

I have been up the beach a few times with it, today the sand was really really soft and I had a lot of trouble getting up the access dune I eventually gave up and went home after some googling to see what I did wrong I saw they say a trans cooler is recommended when on the sand. I have looked at the front of the lux and it seems it has a cooler allready in front of the radiator as I bought this second hand I am wondering if it allready has a trans cooler installed and if this is the case should I also. Put a temp gauge in to keep an eye on it and what is best way to get up a Verry soft dune in a auto lux ? Sorry for the newbie questions

Thanks
Damo
Damien-murray

Re: Transmission cooler

Postby HK1837 on Sun, 30 Aug 2020 5:25 +0000

Definitely need an aux cooler for sand driving on Stockton/Birubi. Also must use low range, no ifs of buts about it. Probably the best thing to do in Newcastle is drive over into Lake Macquarie and see Byron at Lake Macquarie autos in Toronto. Get your fluid colour checked to make sure it isn’t burnt and get them to look at your cooler. You can buy a gauge off Wholesale Autos and Byron can fit that if you don’t want to. These gauges are lots more accurate than the temps out of the ECU and you will quickly learn how to drive to keep them cool.
HK1837

Postby Damien-murray on Sun, 30 Aug 2020 5:37 +0000

HK1837 wrote:Definitely need an aux cooler for sand driving on Stockton/Birubi. Also must use low range, no ifs of buts about it. Probably the best thing to do in Newcastle is drive over into Lake Macquarie and see Byron at Lake Macquarie autos in Toronto. Get your fluid colour checked to make sure it isn’t burnt and get them to look at your cooler. You can buy a gauge off Wholesale Autos and Byron can fit that if you don’t want to. These gauges are lots more accurate than the temps out of the ECU and you will quickly learn how to drive to keep them cool.
Thanks for the advice I have been using high range on the beach so far but will use low from now on I have only been up there a couple times but would love to do it more often I’ll hit Byron up at lake Mac autos
Damien-murray

Postby HK1837 on Sun, 30 Aug 2020 6:39 +0000

I have a big aux cooler on mine, with a temperature gauge from Wholesale autos. It measures the fluid temp as it leaves the converter and heads to the cooler. If I drive in high range on Stockton beach it takes maybe 1min and the fluid temp rockets up to over 120degC which means fluid is cooking. Mine has significantly more power and torque than a normal Hilux thanks to the blown V6, so in high range it does it easily but the poor converter is working its arse off. Putting it in low range the engine works far harder but the converter doesn’t and the fluid temp drops rapidly back to under 90-100deg. I also have a manual converter lockup switch and once up to 40kmh in 3rd low range I can lock the converter and the fluid then drops to 40-50dg quickly but I do try to avoid locking it if I can.

If you do go to Lake Mac Autos Byron will know my car well too.
HK1837

Return to Drive Train Components