Front diff actuator - is it that easy to break

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Front diff actuator - is it that easy to break

Postby suh4 on Wed, 22 Apr 2020 2:47 +0000

Yesterday I was trying to get over a concrete step about 250mm high. Thought the concrete was a bit slippery so switch to 4h, get over, switch back to 2wd, then drive about 10m park the car. I did let it roll 2-3m and the 4h did engage and back to 2wd after. When I came back 10min later restart the car the 4wd icon start flashing (not the low range 4WD light). Unable to engage 4h nomatter what I tried.

Send the car to Toyota they said it is the front actuator and lucky they cover it under warranty. they also said because I got lift n diff drop the breather hose was pulled off from the actuator so I need to extend the breather after this. They haven't taken the actuator off before the new parts arrive so unknown if it got water in it or just simply busted.

I knew this will happen if mud and water got in but has anyone actual bust it by aggressive 4wd (well the concrete step shouldn't be counted lol). The car is only 10 months old done 2 bush runs nothing deeper than the bash plate but not sure if water can get in by underbody wash.

I'd really want to see how ppl got it happen it just worries me......

Sent from my CPH1921 using Tapatalk
suh4

Return to Drive Train Components