2018 Faulty 4WD Selector Switch - Now Jolt When Stopping

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

2018 Faulty 4WD Selector Switch - Now Jolt When Stopping

Postby MarkJB on Sat, 08 Jun 2019 5:48 +0000

I have 2018 SR5 Dual Cab. I have never used the 4WD functions, however recently I got a warning on the instrument display "2WD-4WD mode change malfunction visit your dealer". The dealer has changed the 4WD Selector Switch under warranty. However since the warning appeared, when coming to a complete stop the is a movement after the stop. It feels that it's in the rear end of the drive line. To try and better describe the feeling, after the car comes to a stop there is a brief pause and a movement/jolt that feel like a push forward.

The dealer has said this movement is normal, the movement was not there prior to the 4WD Selector Switch malfunctioning. Anyone else experiencing this?
MarkJB

Re: 2018 Faulty 4WD Selector Switch - Now Jolt When Stopping

Postby Sartor on Mon, 10 Jun 2019 2:58 +0000

I assume that it is AUTO. It is normal if you put it in P-mode (park mode) - there is a little movement forward / backwards (depends which was the last mode of the CVT). For example, when I am reversing in the garage, when I put the stick in park and release the brake, there is a slight movement backwards.

If that happens on a stop light, then this is not working as expected - you should revisit them.
Sartor

Postby T2Green on Tue, 26 Jan 2021 8:06 +0000

My 2017 SR5 (28k) has just had the Actuator replaced for this very reason, but which has not solved the problem, which is when moving from 4WH to 2WD there is a significant jolt as the actuator disengages. Doesn't feel right or sound good and certainly not normal. Also doesn't want to engage into 4WH when moving forward. When the vehicle has stopped it appears to work into and out of 4WH. No issues going in to 4WL. Waiting to hear back from the dealer.

Anyone else had this issue?
T2Green

Postby T2Green on Thu, 28 Jan 2021 11:28 +0000

Toyota replaced the TC actuator but still an issue with the disconnect from 4H to 2WD. Meeting an Elite Technician tomorrow, will explore the ADD system, particularly the Actuator on the diff, the Solenoids and the Switch Valves.
T2Green

Return to Drive Train Components