Automatic transmission refill quantity

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Automatic transmission refill quantity

Postby Nealm on Sat, 17 Nov 2018 4:14 +0000

Hi there,

With apologies if the answer to my question is on the Forum...I haven’t been able to find it!

I was planning to do an oil change (a 5000 km change between dealer services) on my 2016 Hilux (automatic) and mistakenly drained the auto transmission not the engine sump. After draining (and discarding the oil) I realised my mistake! Basic mistake I know...I’m no mechanic unfortunately and perhaps I should have left it to the experts!

Can anyone advise what the refill quantity might be for the ATF? I’ve checked the handbook but it only gives the total capacity of the transmission not the refill capacity. I would also be also interested if your opinion is that I get it towed to a Toyota dealer and get them to sort it out.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to offer.

Regards, Neal
Nealm

Re: Automatic transmission refill quantity

Postby martynvella on Sat, 17 Nov 2018 4:54 +0000

Depends on how much u let out. If it was recently shut down as little a 2 litres but up to 4 if sitting over night.
martynvella

Postby Nealm on Sat, 17 Nov 2018 5:15 +0000

Thanks, I let it drain until there was only the occasional drip...probably ten minutes from opening the drain to closing it...so maybe around 2 litres? Do you happen to know how critical quantity is...say, give or take a half litre might be ok?
Nealm

Postby DeadlyBeast on Sat, 17 Nov 2018 5:27 +0000

Do you still have the drained trans fluid? Just measure that.
Yes - quantity is crucial. It needs to be exact

Edit - just saw the discarded comment.
I'll have a search for you

Adit:
It appears you are the first on this forum to need to refill the trans of a gen 8
Not sure about the new generation trans but the A750 needed to be at the correct temp between 46 and 56 deg C then filled, stop when fluid starts trickling out of the overflow plug.

There is a thread on a fortuner forum for Gen 8 transmissions - using your preferred search engine search: "Procedure to change Auto Transmission Fluid in 6 Speed Transmission + fortuner"

It can be a tricky process. Given your situation probably best to get towed to Toyota.
DeadlyBeast

Postby Terror on Sun, 18 Nov 2018 3:14 +0000

Does the gen8 even have a trans fluid tube to refill it?

If it was me I'd put a litre in, drive it around for a bit then check the level, then add as required. But if you aren't sure what you're doing, i'd get a mechanic to look at it. Transmissions are expensive :shock:
Terror

Return to Drive Train Components