Nomad Valve Body, Tranny Cooler and TC lockup

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Nomad Valve Body, Tranny Cooler and TC lockup

Postby Tomm081 on Mon, 11 Jun 2018 7:47 +0000

There doesn’t seem to be a heap of comments around re- nomad valve bodies for the Gen 8 so considering my lux has a kerb weight of about 2800kg now (where does it all go...)and is going to be towing about 2500kg behind it for the family camping trips I’m taking the plunge with a Wholesales Automatics fitout.

Current tranny temps are about 85 at the TC not towing and usually 95-110 with camper on the black stuff. I’ll post next week with results once done.

Cheers,

Tom
Tomm081

Re: Nomad Valve Body, Tranny Cooler and TC lockup

Postby HK1837 on Mon, 11 Jun 2018 8:28 +0000

Those transmission temperatures you are quoting are (from memory) before the torque converter. They will probably be 20-30deg warmer at the exit of the box as the fluid leaves the torque converter and heads to the radiator cooler.

I'd be very careful with your weights too, if you are at 2800kg now you only have 250kg left in your gross vehicle weight (3050kg assuming SR5), and all of that will probably be used up in towball weight of the trailer (normally 10% of the trailer weight goes on your towball). Which means the car will have to drive itself as there is no capacity left for people! So don't have an accident or your Insurers will wipe you. If it is an SR you are in even more trouble as the SR's GVW is 50kg less than the SR5 at 3000kg.
Your towing capacity left under the GCM once you take into account the 2800kg of the car is now 2850kg, so once you take 2500kg from that you are also only 350kg under the GCM which is all you have to play with for people, luggage, extra water, fuel etc. But you are already in strife with the vehicle's GVW.
HK1837

Postby Tomm081 on Mon, 11 Jun 2018 9:12 +0000

Hi mate, you are spot on as usual, I have probably been a bit light on in details which I’ll clear up now.

Vehicle is an SR5, Quoted temps were TC - pan sits in the 70s under normal conditions and 90s under towing - must I have seen it was about 105 when TC peaked at 130 briefly.

As for weight, running a GVM of 3,500 which helps.

Weight is not exactly kerb, but is inclusive of all permanent fittings and crud that I take with me- think shovel etc - , full long range fuel tank, full onboard potable water tank , fridge and the fat ba$tard sitting in it! So yeah, kerb weight was the wrong description. Apologies, I tend to burn that number into my brain and work off that for all my calcs.

Trailer detail was incorrect - meant to type 2,250 kg though it weighs about (2100 fully loaded with luggage, 150l of water, 40l of fuel and the fridge full of beer), not 2,500... but assuming 2250kg, with GCM of 5650 I have 3400kg left. Have measured tow ball weight at 180kg (and nit taking that any lower as it is low enough already...) so take that off my 3400, I’m left with 3220 which gives me 420 to play with to put the good missus in and the 2 kids (about 100kg all up - all 3 much smaller than driver) so yeah, i have a little extra to play with but really need to watch the GCM but at least this stage I am legal. I reckon we are going to start getting hammered at weigh bridges since the GCM upgrade charade came tumbling down last week...just glad I said bugger it and got the gvm upped.

Cheers,

Tom
Tomm081

Postby HK1837 on Mon, 11 Jun 2018 4:41 +0000

Glad you are on top of it! Seen plenty of people just shrug their shoulders and drive them overloaded. I'd hate to be in an accident where it was their fault, particularly if someone was badly injured in my car as their 3rd party person insurer could possibly not pay up. I imagine in a really serious accident the Police would be weighing the vehicles even if they looked like being overloaded.

Glad to see they have also put to bed the argument about GCM upgrades along with GVW upgrades.
HK1837

Postby Tomm081 on Mon, 11 Jun 2018 6:18 +0000

Yeah. Latest from the feds as per their instructions to the state transport departments on Friday is that no one is able to alter a GCM for light vehicles under any circumstances. Loophole closed for better or worse. GVMs are all good and to be honest are easy as. Simply putting heavy springs on gives you a pretty good chance of getting an extra 10% without breaking a sweat with a mod plate and adding air will get you another 200kg in a lux. Pretty affordable if you are set up for general off road work and touring if you consider the consequences of being overloaded...especially since you’ve probably shelled out for the suspension upgrade anyway and use the air correctly...

Hmmm. I think I just hijacked my own thread...
Tomm081

Postby Tomm081 on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 4:50 +0000

Finally done - had to delay due to work.
Drove home about 100km last night after pickup and can report the following:
Cooler has done the trick. Temps now sitting about 67deg. TC Spiked at 80 under load and literally within a couple of seconds was back to the pan temp. Pan temp did not fluctuate at all once it hit 67- never done that before. confident this will do the trick in keeping the box happy with the camper.
TC lockup drops the RPM back about 300 when it’s activated and the box hasn’t already done it.
Can feel the difference with the nomad kit. It feels... like the shifts are more positive I guess is the best way to describe it. Not harsh at all, just feels like it’s got more purpose.
In all, it seems fine, feels good but time will tell when I get out and tow something. Hopefully it will be worth the money.

Tom
Tomm081

Postby HK1837 on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 7:10 +0000

Just be prudent with the lockup, only use it on flat roads. Once it starts loading up turn it off, they aren’t meant for anything but cruising at part throttle.
HK1837

Postby Tomm081 on Thu, 12 Jul 2018 5:14 +0000

Big copy on that one! Scotty at the transmission centre at underwood was pretty clear on the setup. TC lockup and load on the throttle = lots of bad ju ju! Good guys there - was very happy with the experience.
Tomm081

Return to Drive Train Components