5 Speed auto transmission oil

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

5 Speed auto transmission oil

Postby rds_929 on Sun, 13 May 2018 7:48 +0000

hey guys had my 15 lux for about 2 years now since new and has had the trans light come on once at moreton island. it's been tuned at just autos , i have it booked into wholesale automatics to do a trans service but not sure if they use the genuine toyota ws oil. can't really find anything of similar equivalent after heaps of research. pretty sure they use penrite but don't think penrite make a ws oil is there any other options that would suffice thanks heaps
rds_929

Re: 5 Speed auto transmission oil

Postby HK1837 on Mon, 14 May 2018 4:52 +0000

Not surprised you cooked the fluid on sand if you don't have an auxiliary cooler. Any towing or sand 4x4 work (especially 4x4H) on an A750F transmission without an aux cooler will probably see you cooking fluid. I'd talk to Wholesale Autos about one of their cooler kits whilst you are there too!

I've had a Wholesale Auto cooler on my 2011 with A750F auto since around 1000kM on the clock. I put a trans temp gauge on it prior to fitting the cooler, and even towing an empty box trailer the fluid exceeded 120deg after less than 10min driving in 25deg ambient. After fitting the cooler I can tow a car trailer with a Monaro or Holden van on it in stinking hot weather up hilly roads for hours on end and temp stays below 100deg. Though even with the cooler on towing 2000kg in 5th up a big hill OR on the beach in 4x4 high will see it get to 120deg and want to go higher. So 'd hate to see how hot one of these would be getting without a cooler. Having the dash light come on means it is well into fluid killing territory, probably up to 150deg or more as the fluid exits the torque converter. If I remember correctly the dash light is driven off a temperature sensor prior to the torque converter, and most of the heat comes from the torque converter.

Valvoline Maxlife is a superior fluid to Toyota WS, just about any of the full synthetics probably are. Wholesale Autos will tell you basically the same thing. I changed mine to Maxlife recently, full machine flush. The WS was at end of life, it had started to go away from red into brown by 110,000kM, but I was always careful to keep it below 120deg.
HK1837

Postby martynvella on Mon, 14 May 2018 5:52 +0000

Go to a parts shop and get the customer service or tech help number off a few of the popular brands from the bottles and ring them, or email them. You will find them very friendly and helpful.
martynvella

Postby rds_929 on Mon, 14 May 2018 2:31 +0000

HK1837 wrote:Not surprised you cooked the fluid on sand if you don't have an auxiliary cooler. Any towing or sand 4x4 work (especially 4x4H) on an A750F transmission without an aux cooler will probably see you cooking fluid. I'd talk to Wholesale Autos about one of their cooler kits whilst you are there too!

I've had a Wholesale Auto cooler on my 2011 with A750F auto since around 1000kM on the clock. I put a trans temp gauge on it prior to fitting the cooler, and even towing an empty box trailer the fluid exceeded 120deg after less than 10min driving in 25deg ambient. After fitting the cooler I can tow a car trailer with a Monaro or Holden van on it in stinking hot weather up hilly roads for hours on end and temp stays below 100deg. Though even with the cooler on towing 2000kg in 5th up a big hill OR on the beach in 4x4 high will see it get to 120deg and want to go higher. So 'd hate to see how hot one of these would be getting without a cooler. Having the dash light come on means it is well into fluid killing territory, probably up to 150deg or more as the fluid exits the torque converter. If I remember correctly the dash light is driven off a temperature sensor prior to the torque converter, and most of the heat comes from the torque converter.

Valvoline Maxlife is a superior fluid to Toyota WS, just about any of the full synthetics probably are. Wholesale Autos will tell you basically the same thing. I changed mine to Maxlife recently, full machine flush. The WS was at end of life, it had started to go away from red into brown by 110,000kM, but I was always careful to keep it below 120deg.

thanks heaps mate im sure the guys down at wholesale will know which is the proper stuff for the a750f. ive had a scangauge on it ever since the light came on have seen it creep up to about 100 degrees or so but when ever it gets that hot i let it cool down. can't wait to get the full flush and service done than do the cooler when funds permit cheers guys
rds_929

Postby HK1837 on Mon, 14 May 2018 5:51 +0000

Get a gauge off them too, tells you the fluid temp where it is hottest.
HK1837

Return to Drive Train Components