2016 Hilux Auto Software Update

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Hilux Auto Software Update

Postby Gipsy on Mon, 15 Aug 2016 5:41 +0000

Well of course they don't want you calling in to get the latest fix or everyone would want it wouldn't they :shock:
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby mad_industries on Mon, 15 Aug 2016 5:55 +0000

ih8ubarney wrote:Good question cause my dealer didn't know about it so they are off hunting for any info.

It would drive me nuts if I worked @ Toyota and had the public coming in and asking for things like this...

They didn't know about the auto head light adjustment, and couldn't change it with their computer plugged in, that "apparently can change everything that can be changed" yet the sequence I got from new hilux could change it.

Pretty poor form for Toyota not making this info easily known for dealers

How do we adjust the headlights? Mine are far too low
mad_industries

Postby ih8ubarney on Tue, 16 Aug 2016 6:13 +0000

Gipsy wrote:Well of course they don't want you calling in to get the latest fix or everyone would want it wouldn't they :shock:

hahahahaha

re the headlight adjustment - i was talking about the auto headlight sensitivity in the SR5.
ih8ubarney

Postby Craig_Syd on Tue, 16 Aug 2016 12:37 +0000

ih8ubarney wrote:Good question cause my dealer didn't know about it so they are off hunting for any info.

It would drive me nuts if I worked @ Toyota and had the public coming in and asking for things like this...

They didn't know about the auto head light adjustment, and couldn't change it with their computer plugged in, that "apparently can change everything that can be changed" yet the sequence I got from new hilux could change it.

Pretty poor form for Toyota not making this info easily known for dealers

Yep, any specifics would be great as my dealer has said they have nothing from Toyota.
Craig_Syd

Postby RAZ67 on Tue, 16 Aug 2016 6:07 +0000

I got my headlights adjusted to no. 2, it goes -2, 2, 2+, it was on 2+ as this is the factory setting, now its better and not so sensitive to shadows etc in the day time. Local dealer did it.
RAZ67

Postby Beta on Wed, 17 Aug 2016 3:07 +0000

It Seems my Auto Software Upgrade is a pre-release that's in trial mode with certain dealers, this is why a lot of your dealers have not been informed about it yet.
they said mine was the first that they have done, so maybe I'm a test mule !!

anyway its certainly better, could it be still improved ?, yes it could, it still tries to smooth out the shifts a bit too much for my liking but maybe that's a personal thing as I like a firm auto change, not one that feels like an original old doughy Tri-matic :shock:
Beta

Postby akroehn on Wed, 17 Aug 2016 3:29 +0000

Ok keep us updated, my dealer hadn't heard about it yet either...
akroehn

Postby carltunstall on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 6:58 +0000

Just had my pre-Simpson shake-down done at Mannell Motors ready for a trip in a couple of weeks. Everything checked out fine but they reckon the auto gear changes were a bit 'clunky'. Spoke with Toyota dealers today about the software update but all they have on their system is an audio head unit update.
Who was your dealer Beta?
carltunstall

Postby Beta on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 9:19 +0000

carltunstall wrote:Just had my pre-Simpson shake-down done at Mannell Motors ready for a trip in a couple of weeks. Everything checked out fine but they reckon the auto gear changes were a bit 'clunky'. Spoke with Toyota dealers today about the software update but all they have on their system is an audio head unit update.
Who was your dealer Beta?

as I said the software was a pre-release so it wont be sitting on the Toyota System, it will have to emailed to the dealer from Toyota Technical support. I'm in Western Victoria so my local dealer probably wont be able to do much for you but im happy to give you details via a PM.
Beta

Postby ih8ubarney on Thu, 08 Sep 2016 6:55 +0000

my dealer has it is and its getting installed this arvo :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
looking forward to seeing what difference it makes
ih8ubarney

Postby ih8ubarney on Fri, 09 Sep 2016 6:22 +0000

Beta wrote:OK, so I had the Auto Update done yesterday, now the Hilux gearbox runs as you would expect, the changes are smooth yet purposeful, there's no indecision in what gear to choose or that stupid lag between shifts. It even feels (could be my imagination) that the engine is stronger due to less slippage. I think with the nice strong changes it makes the engine feel stronger, about half way to the power button mode. It still doesn't hold 6th gear any better out on the road.
Go and get it done guy's, its heaps better and tell them to do the new Tailshaft if needed as there is a replacement program, its just heaps of paperwork for the dealer so they will try and avoid it.

i can confirm the same results from my auto update, definitely feels like there is better drive and smoother changes. ill be a happy camper once i get a new tail shaft
ih8ubarney

Postby samuelvr on Fri, 16 Sep 2016 12:25 +0000

what Toyota dealership did u get the update from. ive called a couple of dealers close by chasing this update for my auto. and they all say it hasn't been released yet.. would like to point them to a dealership that is doing it so I can say ive spoken to them. because mentioning the net is tabo there.
samuelvr

Postby ih8ubarney on Sat, 17 Sep 2016 10:25 +0000

haha, yeah i got exactly the same response when i asked about the update..."not everything you read on the net is true"

what you have been told by your dealer is correct, the software doesn't appear to be freely available to all dealers.

i was at the dealer picking up another car and querying the my tail clunk and the service department said they know of the update but that its still in testing... it was only when we went for a drive so see what the tail shaft was doing, that the tech mentioned he had the update, and was able to use it at his discretion. basically he's worked at toyota for ages knows the right people to ask to get things like this.

i believe even if you called the dealership out of the blue you would be told exactly the same story.

i did forget to ask if he would be happy if i sent people to him, so before i tell the world and get them bombarded i will drop in ask if its ok next time i'm passing by.
ih8ubarney

Postby samuelvr on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 7:35 +0000

that would be great. cheers
samuelvr

Postby crustie on Fri, 23 Sep 2016 4:49 +0000

I put my Hilux in for a service a few days ago and the service consultant advised that the firmware update had not been released yet. HI HI
He then said when it comes it will take 1.5 hrs approx to upload it and to train the gear auto gear box
I went along with him however it sounds like a Croc I would suggest he needs the vehicle another day
to load it. He will call me when available
Crusty
crustie

Postby moxy on Sat, 24 Sep 2016 5:28 +0000

I had my Hilux in for the tail shaft field fix last week so I enquired about the auto box software upgrade. My Dealers Mechanic stated that the only way I can have the beta upgrade is if I have a genuine issues with box. Toyota doesn't want a blanket release of this software as it is in beta, they don't want to create more issues by releasing a half baked upgrade. To qualify for the upgrade, they take the vehicle for a run with the diagnostics computer plugged in, this then logs the performance of the box. The mechanics then send this to mr Toyota. Toyota then gives the yaaa or naaaaahh. In my case it was the nah....a little frustrating as people who have received the upgrade seem happy.
moxy

Postby ih8ubarney on Mon, 26 Sep 2016 11:16 +0000

crustie wrote:I put my Hilux in for a service a few days ago and the service consultant advised that the firmware update had not been released yet. HI HI
He then said when it comes it will take 1.5 hrs approx to upload it and to train the gear auto gear box
I went along with him however it sounds like a Croc I would suggest he needs the vehicle another day
to load it. He will call me when available
Crusty

haha well there's a tall tail, i was told it would take about 30mins, but when i got there, the dude just brought his computer out to the car park, plugged it in, installed the update, unplugged the computer, i said thank you and drove off, took 10-15 mins tops.
ih8ubarney

Postby ryturn on Mon, 26 Sep 2016 12:29 +0000

Big question is did it work?
ryturn

Postby ih8ubarney on Mon, 26 Sep 2016 2:01 +0000

ryturn wrote:Big question is did it work?

there was a noticeable difference as soon as i drove off once the update was installed, my experience is similar to what Beta reported....

Beta wrote:OK, so I had the Auto Update done yesterday, now the Hilux gearbox runs as you would expect, the changes are smooth yet purposeful, there's no indecision in what gear to choose or that stupid lag between shifts. It even feels (could be my imagination) that the engine is stronger due to less slippage. I think with the nice strong changes it makes the engine feel stronger, about half way to the power button mode. It still doesn't hold 6th gear any better out on the road.
Go and get it done guy's, its heaps better and tell them to do the new Tailshaft if needed as there is a replacement program, its just heaps of paperwork for the dealer so they will try and avoid it.

immediately it felt like there was better drive and as beta said normal mode feels like its 1/2 way to power mode...

also the down shift to engine break when coasting down a hill is less aggressive,
ive probably not even noticed a heap of little things, but to answer your question, yes it absolutely worked!
ih8ubarney

Postby FULLSCALE on Tue, 04 Oct 2016 2:36 +0000

Toyota CSE for auto trans ECU reprogram was released today. Check with your dealers
FULLSCALE

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components