2016 Hilux Auto Software Update

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

2017 sr5 auto upshift points

Postby Glenrod on Tue, 28 Nov 2017 12:33 +0000

I took delivery of a new Hilux as above in subject, 2.8 diesel auto.

It's due for it's initial inspection in the near future and I have a few questions for the service department of the dealer it was bought from.

Having said that, I would like to get a bit of a heads up before questioning this mob as even though dealings with them have so far been pretty straight forward, I have found in the past that some are either not very forthcoming or just plain don't know.

So far, even though I have taken it to 110 kph and maybe a wee bit more I have not been able to detect an upshift into 6th.
Is this normal? If so how far do I have to push it to get 6th? Does it matter whether it is in power, economy or whatever mode it is in when neither of the aforementioned are selected? I can understand that these vehicles are marketed to countries where much higher speed limits are in place so maybe in such areas an extra overdrive is of some use.

What gears should the converter clutch lockup operate in? I know some autos don't lockup in the lower gears. Also is converter lockup more noticable in say S mode? Traveling at around 100 kph in D slight extra pressure on or relieved off the loud pedal sees the revs climb or reduce. To me this means the auto is in converter configuration not lockup.

Having worked for most of my adult life as a diesel mechanic and about 7 years of that fitting, servicing and fault finding heavy duty automatic and power shift transmissions I do know how they work and what they feel like with lockup engaged or not but the characteristics of this new breed is not something I am familiar with.

Thanks for any input

Cheers
Pop
Glenrod

Re: 2016 Hilux Auto Software Update

Postby DeadlyBeast on Tue, 28 Nov 2017 1:16 +0000

Moved thread to Gen 8 drive train components section
Hi Pops - this thread may or may not help
I have merged 2 other threads from 2 other sections to keep gen 8 auto related info together. Hopefully easier to find
DeadlyBeast

Re: 2017 sr5 auto upshift points

Postby ih8ubarney on Wed, 29 Nov 2017 7:16 +0000

Glenrod wrote:I took delivery of a new Hilux as above in subject, 2.8 diesel auto.

It's due for it's initial inspection in the near future and I have a few questions for the service department of the dealer it was bought from.

Having said that, I would like to get a bit of a heads up before questioning this mob as even though dealings with them have so far been pretty straight forward, I have found in the past that some are either not very forthcoming or just plain don't know.

So far, even though I have taken it to 110 kph and maybe a wee bit more I have not been able to detect an upshift into 6th.
Is this normal? If so how far do I have to push it to get 6th? Does it matter whether it is in power, economy or whatever mode it is in when neither of the aforementioned are selected? I can understand that these vehicles are marketed to countries where much higher speed limits are in place so maybe in such areas an extra overdrive is of some use.

What gears should the converter clutch lockup operate in? I know some autos don't lockup in the lower gears. Also is converter lockup more noticable in say S mode? Traveling at around 100 kph in D slight extra pressure on or relieved off the loud pedal sees the revs climb or reduce. To me this means the auto is in converter configuration not lockup.

Having worked for most of my adult life as a diesel mechanic and about 7 years of that fitting, servicing and fault finding heavy duty automatic and power shift transmissions I do know how they work and what they feel like with lockup engaged or not but the characteristics of this new breed is not something I am familiar with.

Thanks for any input

Cheers
Pop

i have an sr5 auto, updated software...did a 900km trip a while ago (sitting on 110-120 on the speedo when i could) and it drove me nuts cause it would hardly ever go into 6th (but even when it did, it wasn't there for long), unless the road is dead flat or downhill it just wont happen... even then on some flat section, sometimes it wouldn't go to 6th at all or it takes way to long to make up its mind and by then the flat section was over. i often resorted to lifting off sightly which would often result in getting 6th... but even with slight undulations, a tight-ish courner or put your foot down a little too much id be back in 5th again.
ive heard rumors that 6th for us here is Aus is a but if a gimmic and only applicable to European highway speeds (or some NT roads)

car is booked in next monday for another service and apparently it will get another update.... so hopefully things improve
ih8ubarney

Postby SilverSP on Fri, 01 Dec 2017 3:46 +0000

How many km does it have on it?

Mine did this at first as well until a few thousand km later where now it can drop into 6th as low as 95kmh and I know it's in 6th as the engine will "rumble" along as its only doing around 1500rpm at 100.
I'm not sure if this meant to happen but I can live with it.

I also found that the cruise control if turned on but not in use (cancelled) will stop it from going into 6th as well. I turned it off at 110 and it went into 6th straight away.
I'm in QLD currently after driving up on Tuesday (my first major road trip in it) and I've had some time to note all of this behaviour. The engine rumble is only a recent thing too. I have 7500km on it.
SilverSP

Postby ih8ubarney on Tue, 05 Dec 2017 9:51 +0000

SilverSP wrote:How many km does it have on it?

Mine did this at first as well until a few thousand km later where now it can drop into 6th as low as 95kmh and I know it's in 6th as the engine will "rumble" along as its only doing around 1500rpm at 100.
I'm not sure if this meant to happen but I can live with it.

I also found that the cruise control if turned on but not in use (cancelled) will stop it from going into 6th as well. I turned it off at 110 and it went into 6th straight away.
I'm in QLD currently after driving up on Tuesday (my first major road trip in it) and I've had some time to note all of this behaviour. The engine rumble is only a recent thing too. I have 7500km on it.

i have just over 25500ks, interesting point about the cruise on but not in use, ill have to have a play with that as i do use cruise alot
ih8ubarney

Postby hellrazor1381 on Wed, 20 Jun 2018 4:54 +0000

Same on my 16 sr5. It's the worst gearbox I have come across as well as the least efficient. Sometimes the car is delayed while it decides which gear to be in which has led to some safety concerns. It is especially bad slowing for speedhumps. Raised with toyota and of course they say it's normal and nothing can be done. With this and poor fuel efficiency and noisy rear brakes where after 2 years still no fix I regret not getting another car
hellrazor1381

Postby supriyala on Mon, 04 Mar 2019 1:47 +0000

Informative topic! Excellent information here. Thank you.
supriyala

Previous

Return to Drive Train Components