2016 Hilux Tail shaft Thud/Thunk/Clunk

Gearboxs, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: 2016 Hilux Tail shaft Thud/Thunk/Clunk

Postby Allords on Mon, 07 Aug 2017 3:03 +0000

Just back from the dealer.
They didn't bother re-greasing, just went straight to a replacement.Looks like that got Hiluxpros' memo.
So far so good, you don't realise how bad it was until its gone

Fingers crossed
Allords

Postby HiluxPRO on Mon, 07 Aug 2017 4:52 +0000

Allords wrote:Just back from the dealer.
They didn't bother re-greasing, just went straight to a replacement.Looks like that got Hiluxpros' memo.
So far so good, you don't realise how bad it was until its gone

Fingers crossed

Hi Allords, that's great you got a replacement tail shaft. Were you able to find out the part number of the tail shaft that got taken out? I would like to know this and take it up with my dealer. I spoke to them last week and they said they have a regional meeting this week so hopefully they will bring it up.

I can understand how much a difference it would be now the clunk has gone.

For sure *fingers crossed*
HiluxPRO

Postby Allords on Mon, 07 Aug 2017 6:24 +0000

HiluxPRO

I didn't take any notice to be honest. But if it helps my vehicle is a NOV '15 Build first rego'd 7/16 with 22000kms

Last week when i made the appointment they knew all about the "thunk issue", and said they would re-grease.
When i picked it up they said Toyota said replace
Allords

Postby HiluxPRO on Mon, 07 Aug 2017 6:41 +0000

More and more people are talking about it and raising the issue I guess - so it's gaining momentum and potential buyers will see this and may change their minds.

I'll ask the dealer here in Brisbane when they started coming out with the redesigned tail shafts. Keep us updated with how you go as mine has the updated tail shaft and still clunks.
HiluxPRO

Postby Allords on Mon, 07 Aug 2017 7:24 +0000

If theres a part number and the location on the shaft, let me know and ill call under it and look

Keep in mind I'm in WA which is universal for "wait awhile", so chances are that i might have what you have.

In saying that though, as soon as i mentioned tail shaft thunder, they immediately knew what i was on about, so yeah, they are aware of it
Allords

Postby HiluxPRO on Mon, 07 Aug 2017 9:12 +0000

It's on main part/middle of the tail shaft. So if you crawl midway (from the side) under the vehicle you'll see a white label behold You should see a label, if you don't see it just feel around as it might be on the upper side meaning you can't see the label.

Yeah hehe Brisbane is ahead of you guys in Perth so your catching up :)
HiluxPRO

Postby Allords on Mon, 07 Aug 2017 11:26 +0000

37100-0K820-00 is the part No i have now
Allords

Postby HiluxPRO on Tue, 08 Aug 2017 5:31 +0000

Allords wrote:37100-0K820-00 is the part No i have now

Yep the same part number as mine. Be interesting to see the longer term results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HiluxPRO

Postby Toeknee2 on Tue, 08 Aug 2017 5:43 +0000

I don't know why the part number matters. Toyota said the problem was the blades that cut the shafts were not being replaced regularly enough and the end lot in each batch were leaving the factory not cut properly. Late last year they said the blades will be getting changed earlier so this problem doesn't occur in the future.
It will be interesting to see if any 2017 models experience this problem.
Toeknee2

Postby Beta on Wed, 09 Aug 2017 9:11 +0000

Toeknee2 wrote:I don't know why the part number matters. Toyota said the problem was the blades that cut the shafts were not being replaced regularly enough and the end lot in each batch were leaving the factory not cut properly. Late last year they said the blades will be getting changed earlier so this problem doesn't occur in the future.
It will be interesting to see if any 2017 models experience this problem.

I don't believe its the cutters, there must be an inherent design flaw as they had this same issue with the last series. I chuckle when I go into my Tyre man as he had the last series Hilux and had the exact same problem, he sold it in the end as they never fixed it properly and tried the same regrease and excuses. He said every new Hilux he gets into when swapping out the original tyres for A/T's all have the driveline clunk, some customers notice it and most don't being out in a regional area.
Mines going in for a service this week, once again I will complain about the clunk, and its still blowing smoke when the DPF is burning off even after the software update.
Beta

Postby Allords on Sun, 13 Aug 2017 11:00 +0000

Well so far so good.
New tail shaft has removed the thud and made it a lot easier to get from park into reverse or drive. I found it a bit "sticky" most of the time.
Another contributing factor is i don't get that jump forward anymore when going from Drive to Park.

Don't know if all the above is related to the tail shaft alone, as they also did an upgrade to the ECU as some have indicated a transmission ECU upgrade was out.

One thing I have noticed is they attached a silver safety looking decal on the drivers door with the date and following code. CGG 38B
Allords

Postby HiluxPRO on Sun, 13 Aug 2017 11:23 +0000

So far so good! I find that too - sometimes clunky going from park into reverse or drive as you hear a big clunk when trying to do so. Does it even when moving from drive to park and then in that same motion try move it from park to reverse or drive it clunks - so this could be related to the tail shaft clunk it sounds? I get that jump forward too when going from drive to park. What I do now to overcome that and the clunky auto shift is put it in neutral, hand brake on and then shift it into park.

I had a recent ECU upgrades s well but it was for the DPF burn when it was booked in for the tailshaft. As it did smoke heavily once from takeoff from the lights when idling for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HiluxPRO

Postby Allords on Sun, 13 Aug 2017 9:07 +0000

Sounds like you're like me. Try to drive around the issue.
I did the drive into neutral thing, then into park to alleviate the jump forward. Or thinking that when starting in the morning and pulling it from park into reverse, the "stickiness"was just due to the vehicle being cold.

It is worlds apart different at the moment, but in saying that it could be short lived as i have only done 700kms.
I guess we are pioneers, hopefully toyota has a real world fix at some point
Allords

Postby iller on Sun, 13 Aug 2017 10:01 +0000

Allords wrote:Sounds like you're like me. Try to drive around the issue.
I did the drive into neutral thing, then into park to alleviate the jump forward. Or thinking that when starting in the morning and pulling it from park into reverse, the "stickiness"was just due to the vehicle being cold.

It is worlds apart different at the moment, but in saying that it could be short lived as i have only done 700kms.
I guess we are pioneers, hopefully toyota has a real world fix at some point

You are actually supposed to put it in neutral first before going to another gear. This is because there is a tension built up in the gearbox and putting it in neutral neutralizes this pressure. But yes it's still annoying with the jump.
iller

Postby Allords on Sun, 13 Aug 2017 10:13 +0000

Not interested in putting in neutral first.
Us here in the southern hemisphere simply go from drive straight to Park..No f$@#&% around.
No other auto that I've driven has had a" jump" forward. Its been seamless.

If i suits you to do the "two step dance" , stand on one leg and hold your mouth a different way, well thats ok.
We only do that shit to get better reception with vodafone.
Allords

Postby Dave_o on Tue, 15 Aug 2017 6:24 +0000

Allords wrote:Not interested in putting in neutral first.
Us here in the southern hemisphere simply go from drive straight to Park..No f$@#&% around.
No other auto that I've driven has had a" jump" forward. Its been seamless.

If i suits you to do the "two step dance" , stand on one leg and hold your mouth a different way, well thats ok.
We only do that shit to get better reception with vodafone.

My shift pattern is layed out in the P-N-D configuration, and thus impossible to shift from drive to park without intersecting neutral. Must have been a limited edition or something I guess..
Dave_o

Postby Allords on Tue, 15 Aug 2017 12:25 +0000

You're close, you really are. But you've missed 'R'.........Limited edition?

I don't stop at neutral when going from D to P. I just bring the car to a stop and shift from D straight to P
Allords

Postby Allords on Fri, 08 Sep 2017 11:33 +0000

Well its been a month now since I've had the replacement tail shaft installed to stop the Thud/Thunk/Clunk.
It has not returned, i think it may be sorted, I hope I'm not speaking too soon.

For what its worth to WA folk, I had it done at Newtown Toyota in Welshpool
Allords

Postby Benny_886 on Sat, 09 Sep 2017 6:09 +0000

I had mine back at another dealer yesterday in regards to this issue. All they could write is that it was the after market components installed and that I should go back to where I had these components install, or in short, because I have a lift kit, they don't wont to know about it. (SIGH)
So I have my lux booked into where I brought the car (different dealer from yesterday) for another look when I get back in two weeks from WA, and if that doesn't work, I shall endeavour to find a shaft from a wreckers or buy an aftermarket one from Terrain Tamers. Its frustrating.
I have noticed driving my car around the last couple of days after being parked up for being at work for 5 weeks, it doesn't seem as bad as when I picked it up from the first check up. Talking to my suspension guy maybe I've broken an engine mount but mine has been off road bugger all and old mate from where I brought the hilux recons these hilux's are meant to have forward movement in the mounts. Maybe some matches might fix it.
Benny_886

Driveline click/clunk when stopping

Postby telliscope on Sat, 14 Oct 2017 12:13 +0000

Wondering if anyone has experienced or noticed a metallic click/clunk noise upon coming to a stop. Seems to be emitted from middle to rear of vehicle Have noticed it the past month but is becoming more constant. Noise seems to occur when coming to a complete stop and feels like it occurs when the auto shifts down to 2nd. Have tested with coming to a stop in neutral and noise does not occur.

Any thoughts??
REDHEAD AND STOCKTON BEACH TRIP - Youtube https://youtu.be/WbNIu4Zx-eA

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfnkVp ... Heu1_Xd34w
telliscope

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components