DPF active Vs forced regen

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

DPF active Vs forced regen

Postby buck972 on Fri, 03 Nov 2023 11:21 +0000

Ok so I am starting to think there's a deal between car manufacturers & fuel company's , lol
As with anything 4x4 nothing stays stock for long for anyone who goes bush anyway, all the usuals suspension, lift, wheels
bull/scrub bars etc. 3" DPF back exhaust and the list goes on....and I am definitely not alone in any way so I am sure there would be people with the same mods, and a lot more.
So I recently fitted a Safari Armax which then let to the intercooler being upgraded to a PDI, this was a notable improvement straight up, so I then decided it was time to either chip/tune or ECU reflash & dyno so I went that later.
So the tune dyno seemed good (tuner advised the DPF was at 100% and done a regen) & the new updated 2023 DPF regen software installed.
After a little while the fuel economy started getting real bad (worse than pre tune), used some apparently DPF safe intake cleaner (don't use it) this worked for a little while then bad, DPF full, and limp mode, the entire EGR & intake was pulled and cleaned, codes all cleared another DPF manual forced regen done, this returned the soot load to 6 from 182! , it was back !
With a Scanguage 3 I can see what's taking place now with soot load & DPF temp, so I know when its full, when its doing an active regen.
I travel 32km to work at 110kph for 90% of this, firstly I was surprised on how fast this gets up to 100% soot load, this triggers a operational burn which I could see on my SG3.
I was expecting this to be a quick process, but it seems here we go again. :(
As I have seen many people say the active regen is a quick process all done in 20-40 mins of driving at Hwy speeds, (seems reasonable, so I did 100ks at 110 (a lot of open roads in the west) only have the soot load go from 100 down to 70 and that's in 4th to have the revs up, the DPF max temp was 580C possibly not hot enough while traveling to burn off the soot load , not to mention the massive fuel used in this process.
I am not going to do this every 300ks and no one in their right mind would either. it seems to be in a perpetual cycle of regen in this state it would take a very long time to complete this burn and restore to what is an acceptable fuel consumption,
Some one may have an idea of what is happening here but here is what I think may be the case ????

Intake snorkel, PDI intercooler reduces EGT temps considerably (5000cc vs 11500cc) and a 3" DPF exhaust this flow is considerably improved and between the 3 not allowing the EGR to reach a high enough temp to complete the regen in a respectable time.
The initial plan is to retain the DPF due to the legal implications, but this is getting beyond a joke to achieve a low fuel consumption over people with far bigger vehicles with outstanding results
I completed a manual regen again to try to regain some economy back this went down to 6 and in 30ks back up to 30 !, now I am stuck between regens that take forever to complete (generated by the ECU) or doing forced (manual) burns, both do not seem sustainable, both use excessive fuel (mmm :? use more diesel to reduce emissions )

At this rate a DPF delete (and turned off in the ECU) seems the most cost effective solution.

Anyone who is more savvy in this particular science please help ???
buck972

Re: DPF active Vs forced regen

Postby Gipsy on Fri, 03 Nov 2023 3:06 +0000

See my post elsewhere but here's a possible answer to why your hilux is having difficulty with regen:
The 3" exhaust, extra flow and driving in 4th combination does not allow the regen process to reach the high temperatures needed, all that flow reduces exhaust temperatures which defeats the regen 5th injector additional fuel. Suggest NOT driving in 4th during regen, use normal gears, you can't change the mods like exhaust etc but this may explain your dilemma. I purposely put a 3" exhaust on my N70 precisely to reduce exhaust temperatures for towing and it did!
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Cure on Mon, 13 Nov 2023 12:22 +0000

Buck what model year is your car? Toyota had "soft recall" on models built pre 2019 and also changed DPF burn software parameters in facelift models (2021+)

If your car is pre 2019 then your local dealership will change dpf hardware, including 5th injector and housing, also update software.

My current model is 2022 (I had 2018 model), and DPF burns last about 15kms on a freeway and occur every 220-250kms.

Gipsy do you actually have a hilux model that has dpf? Reason Im asking is in your signature you listed 2013 model.
Cure

Postby Gipsy on Tue, 14 Nov 2023 9:34 +0000

No I don't have a N80 but does that disqualify me from commenting?
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Cure on Tue, 14 Nov 2023 5:35 +0000

It does not.

I figured you don't have one based on your comment, as it sounded like you are just spitting bunch of stuff that other people wrote and you read somewhere, and not based on your knowledge or personal practical experience about this matter, which sometimes can lead to spreading misinformation and giving people wrong advice.

You confirmed I was right.

Do not take it as an offence as it is not meant to be one, its just a fact.
Cure

Postby Bushwalker8 on Tue, 14 Nov 2023 8:24 +0000

Buck,

Most if not almost all Hilux DPF systems out there now work fine. If yours isn't and it started after someone messed with your ECU maybe that's telling you something.

If you have the latest Toyota DPF code for the ECU, the soot percentage you are probably monitoring doesn't increase in a linear manner as it did on previous versions. It now quickly climbs to around 30% as you have noticed but it then slows down to achieve the same km duration. Don't go chasing more rat holes.

I wouldn't be revving and shoving more fuel through when it's trying to burn, just drive it normally. They can burn fine even when just cruising. If it doesn't complete a burn when you stop it will restart if it needs to so long as you keep driving.

If you are still having issues then do the obvious and return the ECU to stock, and if you really do have a problem after that then go visit your dealer, they now know all about them.
Bushwalker8

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 15 Nov 2023 4:58 +0000

Cure wrote:It does not.

I figured you don't have one based on your comment, as it sounded like you are just spitting bunch of stuff that other people wrote and you read somewhere, and not based on your knowledge or personal practical experience about this matter, which sometimes can lead to spreading misinformation and giving people wrong advice.

You confirmed I was right.

Do not take it as an offence as it is not meant to be one, its just a fact.

Actually cure, you are wrong... I think 55 years of engineering knowledge, practice and qualifications as well as just a bit of experience counts for something! Pull your head in and leave the personal insult out thanks.
And yes I do take it to be offensive for an upstart to be lecturing me as well as others here... You have a history here :? So what's your qualifications and practical experience??
Your last few posts regarding administration indicates that you prefer the relaxed approach.
Gipsy

Postby Cure on Wed, 15 Nov 2023 6:44 +0000

I asked you a simple question and I got full on attack and baseless accusations in response.

So 50 years of engineering knowledge gives you right to educate and share advice to space shuttle astronauts or submariners in regards to how to operate their own device as well I guess.

I have a history here?! I have 54 posts including this one, and in all but last two I helped and shared my first hand experience in owning a RELEVANT model car with other users (including in this topic). That is so easy to confirm by a search function which is so much encouraged here. Including first hand experience of DPF regens in this particular model, its operating parameters, driving and other factors compared to you who never owned one.

The only one with some history here is you with your 2000+ posts where in most of them you are trying to be a lid to every pot. Also easily confirmed. Same as your tendency to then turn on whoever dares question your posts or statements to the point that you stalk users all over the forum, sniping at them and provoking reaction, hoping it will result in mods stepping in and helping you get rid of person who dared challenge you. Seen this few times with you. That's your MO. But I think even mods are aware of it by now.

Enjoy your life, I am ignoring you from now on.
Last edited by Cure on Wed, 15 Nov 2023 12:15 +0000, edited 2 times in total.
Cure

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 15 Nov 2023 6:58 +0000

Wow! So giving lectures on posting etiquette is your specialty??

So I guess I won't be reading any of your posts on the NewSpaceschuttle or NewAUKUS websites then :lol:
Gipsy

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 15 Nov 2023 7:19 +0000

Gipsy wrote:See my post elsewhere but here's a possible answer to why your hilux is having difficulty with regen:
The 3" exhaust, extra flow and driving in 4th combination does not allow the regen process to reach the high temperatures needed, all that flow reduces exhaust temperatures which defeats the regen 5th injector additional fuel. Suggest NOT driving in 4th during regen, use normal gears, you can't change the mods like exhaust etc but this may explain your dilemma. I purposely put a 3" exhaust on my N70 precisely to reduce exhaust temperatures for towing and it did!

So I wonder which part of my above post is invalid or incorrect based on the extensive knowledge from Cure?

And I guess based on Cure's comments the Chief of Defence can't comment on the AUKUS Nuclear submarine because he doesn't own one :roll:
Gipsy

Postby Bushwalker8 on Wed, 15 Nov 2023 9:58 +0000

Buck,
And if you haven't already done it check the rework hardware (updated 5th injector housing, DPF etc.) has actually been retrofitted. If not get Toyota to do it regardless of your current symptoms.
Bushwalker8

Postby Bushwalker8 on Wed, 15 Nov 2023 10:13 +0000

Gipsy wrote:
Gipsy wrote:So I wonder which part of my above post is invalid or incorrect based on the extensive knowledge from Cure?

The bit about a 3" exhaust limiting DPF burn temperatures. Anybody with a Gen 8 who has done a manual burn can confirm even that will successfully complete at only slightly faster idle so volume and back pressure behind it are not significant factors.
Bushwalker8

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 15 Nov 2023 11:11 +0000

So you didn't read my entire quote, just edited it to suit your purpose.

So which part of the entire post was invalid or incorrect? I was responding to the original post and the problems associated. I didn't see your comments until things started getting heated. As noted, we now have just a bit of trolling happening yet again.
Gipsy

Postby Bushwalker8 on Wed, 15 Nov 2023 11:45 +0000

Gipsy wrote:So you didn't read my entire quote, just edited it to suit your purpose. So which part of the entire post was invalid or incorrect? "

I did read your entire quote and answered your specific question as to:

Gipsy wrote:
Gipsy wrote: I wonder which part of my above post is invalid

Please stick to facts!
Bushwalker8

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 15 Nov 2023 12:13 +0000

So which is invalid??? And you have all the knowledge to decide what is correct and which is not.
Gipsy

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 15 Nov 2023 12:24 +0000

Gipsy wrote:
Gipsy wrote:See my post elsewhere but here's a possible answer to why your hilux is having difficulty with regen:

So I wonder which part of my above post is invalid or incorrect based on the extensive knowledge from Cure?

And I guess based on Cure's comments the Chief of Defence can't comment on the AUKUS Nuclear submarine because he doesn't own one :roll:

In case you can't understand context, I suggested...repeat SUGGESTED that those issues in combination MAY BE THE PROBLEM. In fact you (Bushwalker) as much as agreed with most of what I said! Example, not driving in 4th, use the normal gears etc.

The original post was asking why this was happening and the owner appeared to have little knowledge on the dpf system.

So where is my post invalid or incorrect?
Last edited by Gipsy on Wed, 15 Nov 2023 12:32 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Gipsy

Postby Bushwalker8 on Wed, 15 Nov 2023 12:28 +0000

Getting back on track, for the record manual regen unloaded engine speeds are 900 rpm AT & 1200 rpm MT.
Bushwalker8

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 15 Nov 2023 12:33 +0000

Wow some kind of agreement, drive the vehicle NORMALLY ;) and NOT at 110kph in 4th gear!

Incidentally it was 10 days later for Cure and 11 days for Bushwalker before they chimed in with some valid information, I was kind of first on the scene trying to help out, not get into a $ht storm!

Also I noticed the original owner hasn't been back so either it's sorted or didn't like the information.
Gipsy

Postby Silverfox1111 on Wed, 15 Nov 2023 4:50 +0000

Maybe the original poster couldn't be bothered getting caught up in a complete shit storm of comments.
Silverfox1111

Postby Gipsy on Thu, 16 Nov 2023 5:24 +0000

Or maybe the first response explained why he was having trouble and gave him the solution :D rather than the $ht storm that followed which didn't.
Gipsy

Next

Return to Engines