1GD-FTV EGR & Intake clean

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

1GD-FTV EGR & Intake clean

Postby buck972 on Mon, 23 Oct 2023 7:18 +0000

After stupidly using so call DPF safe intake cleaner, this had less than ideal results, for those with a DPF - DO NOT USE as this will essentially just block your DPF as I have found out the hard way,
So now I Have just finished a complete Intake clean, this is the full EGR & intake off the head, this was quoted at around $1700 to do & after doing I can see why, none of it is easy to get to, it is not for the feint hearted or non-mechanical folk, its a total %&$#@ of a job....
I will say though now it is done I am glad I done this as
1, know a lot more about the 1GD-FTV & where things are & go
2, There was only a little carbon build up in the EGR system, a lot less than i expected, but the intake manifold was caked with the horrible black sludgy Sh#t, this stuff is terrible and hard to clean, but there was a lot of it the flapper valves on the intake manifold were all blocked up and the head had a lot in the ports, this was all removed.
All gaskets were replaced and the critical fasteners torqued to spec.
now the engine does seem peppier, I have had the EGR tuned off in the ECU when it was tuned & run a Catch can so this should never happen again.
Now need to do a Regen on the DPF (DPF full on dash) & hopefully all sorted and get some improved fuel economy.....
I will post some Info , Pics & details on the clean soon for those wanting to do.
buck972

Re: 1GD-FTV EGR & Intake clean

Postby buck972 on Mon, 30 Oct 2023 1:52 +0000

Regn completed with SG2 worked a treat, and then an oil change

- after a Regen its recommended to do an oil change, a forced Regen adds fuel and this can get into your oil causing oil dilution, my take is oil is cheaper than an engine replacement / rebuild
- Use the correct grade oil specifically suited for DPF suitable oil (C2) full synthetic, a lot mineral oil will destroy your DPF quick smart, I personally use genuine oil from Toyota but I am sure there heaps of equivalents if not superior oils available.
buck972

Re: 1GD-FTV EGR & Intake clean

Postby Gipsy on Tue, 31 Oct 2023 4:42 +0000

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a regen fire an injector in the exhaust dump pipe? How would that get into the sump? Are you confusing the egr clean? Either way it shouldn't affect the sump oil. Suggest you read this article especially the explanation of how dpf works.

https://www.drive.com.au/caradvice/toyo ... d-to-know/
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Return to Engines