LC300 - N80 Engine swap?

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

LC300 - N80 Engine swap?

Postby JaegerBombastic on Tue, 22 Mar 2022 1:08 +0000

Just daydreaming fellas,

I have very little experience working on engines, but I see people do engine swaps reasonably often on older vehicles to breathe new life into them. So I know it can be done, it'll just be outrageously expensive atm. Maybe in 5-6 years when I look at selling my lux I would consider doing an engine swap. In particular, I'd love to put the new F33A-FTV out of the new 300 Series into my N80.

Would love to get people's thoughts on this from a technical standpoint (yes I know it's too expensive). I'm assuming such a conversion would mean also replacing the transmission, driveshaft, exhaust, chassis bracing, and maybe replacing some front quarter panels to accommodate a snorkel as the airbox of the 300 Series is on the opposite side of the engine bay to the N80.

Maybe this conversion will be a moot point if a V6 Lux is announced next year to compete with the Ranger and Amarok.
JaegerBombastic

Re: LC300 - N80 Engine swap?

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 23 Mar 2022 5:55 +0000

Why not just save your money and buy an LC300? The engine swap will be outrageous in dollars and not really improve the N80.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Skrewdriver on Wed, 23 Mar 2022 7:36 +0000

Gipsy wrote:Why not just save your money and buy an LC300? The engine swap will be outrageous in dollars and not really improve the N80.

There is no place here, or any other Internet for people who speak the truth or fact!

Admin, please ban Gypsy.....
"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
George Santayana

E-Mail: pbialasinski@bigpond.com
Phone: (0407) 237723
Skrewdriver

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 23 Mar 2022 9:10 +0000

Geez mate, I've already been banned for 'plain speakin' as Shaun Micallef would say. ;)
Even got the dreaded 'Forbidden' screen when posting a g'day message :shock:
Last edited by Gipsy on Wed, 23 Mar 2022 10:51 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Skrewdriver on Wed, 23 Mar 2022 9:17 +0000

HAHAHA

I copped seven 30 day bans on Facebook last year!!!!

Yet, my wife and I were doxxed online, reported it, and it didn't breach community standards!!!!

Phuck Facebook, and phuck Zuckerberg

I better stop, otherwise, I wil get punted from here as well
"Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
George Santayana

E-Mail: pbialasinski@bigpond.com
Phone: (0407) 237723
Skrewdriver

Postby Chopps on Wed, 23 Mar 2022 9:22 +0000

Tongue in cheek from SD I think.
Now to get me banned from fossil fuel fans ... in 5-6 years time it will be more viable to do an EV conversion

Nah scratch that. You would have to redesign those CV joints at 0-100km in under 3 secs turning those rims 1000 Lb-Ft torque
Chopps

Postby Gipsy on Wed, 23 Mar 2022 10:56 +0000

Chopps don't EV's have constant 4x4 and no driveshafts? Maybe we should all trade the hilux in for a Tesla? :lol:
Gipsy

Postby JaegerBombastic on Thu, 24 Mar 2022 6:14 +0000

Gipsy wrote:Why not just save your money and buy an LC300? The engine swap will be outrageous in dollars and not really improve the N80.

You're definitely not wrong. But even if I won the lotto, I'm not sure I would purchase an LC300. It's too early in it's lifecycle to rag on it, but even if it was perfect, it just doesn't appeal to me. I'm not a fan of the rear end shape, so I would look to chop it, but then all I would be doing is building a less fuel-efficient and more expensive version of my current hilux.

The engine of the LC300 however, well, it'll be a few years until all of its kinks are discovered. But assuming it is at least as reliable, or similar in reliability, to the LC200's 1VD-FTV. It's impressive power and torque numbers are enviable and it's relatively small overall size would help to fit it in the N80 engine bay. My only dislike about my N80 is it's lack of power. I mean it, I love my ute. The 1GD is not game-breaking, power is overrated, and I appreciate the fuel-economy I'm getting atm. But eventually, when my ute gets older, rather than sell, I would look to breath new life into it, most likely through some sort of engine swap. And if the F33A-FTV proves to be reliable, then of course I'd love to try and put one in my N80. Who wouldn't love a tuned V6 Diesel twin-turbo Hilux pulling 220+kw and 700+NM?

As much as I love my N80, if Toyota announces a V6 Hilux next year it'll be a tough choice to keep my current one.
JaegerBombastic

Postby JaegerBombastic on Thu, 24 Mar 2022 6:34 +0000

Chopps wrote:Tongue in cheek from SD I think.
Now to get me banned from fossil fuel fans ... in 5-6 years time it will be more viable to do an EV conversion

Nah scratch that. You would have to redesign those CV joints at 0-100km in under 3 secs turning those rims 1000 Lb-Ft torque

Internal combustion will remain relevant for outback touring and in rural areas for at least 3 more decades as the driving range of EVs and the lack of charging infrastructure in remote areas will keep EVs out. Maybe one day when an EV can be charged off a solar blanket they'll replace ICE for touring, but that far off IMO.

On a side note, the EV takeover is already underway. I think EVs will find themselves in more places than people think. Obviously, EV sedans will be popular in cities and as daily drivers. But EV utes like the Rivian R1T and the Ford F150 Lightning will probably be quite viable for all the jetski bros and grey nomads who rarely leave the road and will enjoy waiting for their vehicle to charge back up at highway rest stops or by popular beaches. And, at least IMO, many farm applications. I think many farmers will look at their big sheds, slap some solar panels on there, and never pay for fuel again. EV utes have big pulling power which farmers will love. And farm utes don't need massive range as they get parked up under the shed most nights to get charged up. And reliability should be a non-issue as EV utes will break down just as often as these farmers' current modern vehicles.
JaegerBombastic

Postby Chopps on Thu, 24 Mar 2022 10:14 +0000

Gipsy wrote:Chopps don't EV's have constant 4x4 and no driveshafts? Maybe we should all trade the hilux in for a Tesla? :lol:

Suppose a trimotor conversion could do away with CV's. Might not be enough room for 3 motors in a hilux chassis but who knows what conversion kits will be available in the next decade

JaegerBombastic wrote:
Internal combustion will remain relevant for outback touring and in rural areas for at least 3 more decades as the driving range of EVs and the lack of charging infrastructure in remote areas will keep EVs out. Maybe one day when an EV can be charged off a solar blanket they'll replace ICE for touring, but that far off IMO.

On a side note, the EV takeover is already underway. I think EVs will find themselves in more places than people think. Obviously, EV sedans will be popular in cities and as daily drivers. But EV utes like the Rivian R1T and the Ford F150 Lightning will probably be quite viable for all the jetski bros and grey nomads who rarely leave the road and will enjoy waiting for their vehicle to charge back up at highway rest stops or by popular beaches. And, at least IMO, many farm applications. I think many farmers will look at their big sheds, slap some solar panels on there, and never pay for fuel again. EV utes have big pulling power which farmers will love. And farm utes don't need massive range as they get parked up under the shed most nights to get charged up. And reliability should be a non-issue as EV utes will break down just as often as these farmers' current modern vehicles.

Range anxiety will be a thing of the past - remember what they said about having to constantly fill up car tanks with gasoline when there was the transition from horse and cart.

An EV mob in Townsville has seen a 500% customer increase doing basic EV conversions in the last 12 months

Battery tech is advancing much quicker than only being able to see remote EV travel possible in 30 years. Yes, solar tech will charge our remote needs. A 4000mile manned solar flight record was set in 2015 - granted not apples for apples but with advances in EV efficiencies, now spurred on by outrageous fossil fuel costs, few will be driving ICE vehicles in the next 20 years.

Imagine being able to top up your vehicle with free electrons while you swim at the beach... and only taking 30 minutes for 1/4 capacity. There are some exciting developments both in solar and battery tech to be released in the next 5 years. EVs will become far more reliable than ICE with less than 20% of the moving parts
Chopps

Postby hiluxxury on Fri, 25 Mar 2022 6:42 +0000

EVs still have driveshaft. Having too much weight in the wheel isnt great for handling. I'd love to tesla swap a troopy or hilux... 1000km range is all I'd need.

Back to the tread... just buy a new ranger when it comes with the engine thats in my RRS... there is a stock tune with 221kw available for that. So its good for more.

I personally dont think there is a lot to gain with an ICE engine swap... the current range of V6 utes available havent done a lot for sales figures but i know that people are keen to do different things.
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby Gipsy on Fri, 25 Mar 2022 6:51 +0000

I think if ever Toyota get their brains in place they'll go for a V6 diesel in the hilux!

As far as the engine swap issue goes, it will be a long wait until the LC 300 engines will be freely available and they're sure to be prohibitively expensive!
Gipsy

Postby JaegerBombastic on Fri, 25 Mar 2022 7:23 +0000

hiluxxury wrote:Back to the tread... just buy a new ranger when it comes with the engine thats in my RRS... there is a stock tune with 221kw available for that. So its good for more.

Yeah, the new ranger definitely looks amazing. I'm holding out hope that the 2023 Hilux announcement will be a V6 to compete. Either that or a diesel hybrid. I personally will hold off on a diesel hybrid, let all of the kinks get straightened out first. I mean, an electric motor for short shopping trips, and then a diesel for longer range touring is a great combo, and pretty much a no-brainer. I just hope Toyota can execute it well and not have another fumble like with the DPFs.
JaegerBombastic

Postby JaegerBombastic on Fri, 25 Mar 2022 7:31 +0000

On the topic of an F33A-FTV conversion...

Costs aside, from a technical standpoint, I'm assuming to pull off putting one in an N80 I'd need to:
- Swap Engine
- Swap transmission
- Reverse start battery and airbox location in the engine bay
- Bigger (Possibly custom) intercooler
- Change exhaust
- Swap Fuel pump?
- Swap driveshaft?
- New ECU/ Maybe get away with a piggyback unit?
- Chassis brace to cope with extra power in a smaller vehicle and thinner chassis?
- Deal with a nightmare of wiring?

I'm also unsure about how much I can legally alter, for example, could I rip out the DPF? Maybe EGR too?
JaegerBombastic

Postby Gipsy on Fri, 25 Mar 2022 7:34 +0000

Geez if you have to do all that and some why would you bother? Just buy an LC 300
Gipsy

Postby JaegerBombastic on Fri, 25 Mar 2022 7:39 +0000

Gipsy wrote:I think if ever Toyota get their brains in place they'll go for a V6 diesel in the hilux!

As far as the engine swap issue goes, it will be a long wait until the LC 300 engines will be freely available and they're sure to be prohibitively expensive!

V6 Hilux would be a dream :)

I hope it won't be too long before lots of LC300 engines are floating around. I mean, if EV utes do take off I imagine they'll be bought first by people who have LC300 money. And businesses will switch out LC300 fleet vehicles with EV utes too. Plus there's probably a small (but decently sized) group of grey nomads who'll become too old to travel and will look to sell their LC300, at which point they may struggle selling it as many people are chasing EVs.

That's my hope at least, that at some point in the next 7-10 years, F33A-FTVs will be relatively easy to come by.
JaegerBombastic

Postby JaegerBombastic on Fri, 25 Mar 2022 7:44 +0000

Gipsy wrote:Geez if you have to do all that and some why would you bother? Just buy an LC 300

Power to weight ratio, mostly.

Also, the why isn't that important. Why do people restore old hotrods? Because they love that vehicle, its history, they find beauty in the complexity of the engineering that went into making this thing. It doesn't have to be practical or efficient, it just needs to satisfy me and no one else.

I'll eventually get an EV for driving to and from work, but for holidays and weekend rock-crawling having a powerful Hilux, built to the spec of my imagination, is the dream for me.
JaegerBombastic

Postby hiluxxury on Fri, 25 Mar 2022 12:34 +0000

body chop the LC300
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Return to Engines