Airbox Design Issue - Letting in Dust? In the News.

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Useful info for 2.8 owners

Postby ktm300 on Thu, 05 Jul 2018 4:42 +0000

ktm300

Postby sanrook on Thu, 05 Jul 2018 5:41 +0000

Any truth in this? If yes, which part is affected? Just the filter or the complete airbox assembly?

https://www.motoring.com.au/toyota-strikes-diesel-and-dust-drama-113482/

An intake problem with the turbo-diesel engine in the top-selling Toyota HiLux ute — which was identified during a motoring.com.au comparison test, triggers ‘limp-home’ mode and turns off safety features including stability control — will be the subject of an urgent redesign in Japan.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/toyota ... stem-fault

Toyota’s reputation for reliability and suitability to Australian roads is being called into question following successive 4X4 Australia tests that uncovered a fault with the air intake system of the Hilux, Fortuner and Prado.

Prado's been with the 2.8 since 2015 and I believe the airfilter box is the same as a Hilux/Tuna?
sanrook

Re: Airbox Design Issue - Letting in Dust? In the News.

Postby hiluxxury on Thu, 05 Jul 2018 5:45 +0000

Is there a statement from Toyota?
I might be wrong.

2005 SR Hilux 1KD - SOLD
2009 BMW X5 - destroyed by a hail storm
2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 - SOLD
2015 Ford Ranger
hiluxxury

Postby numberplate on Fri, 06 Jul 2018 4:54 +0000

not that i have seen

I'll go check mine now and if there is any dust in the turbo i'll be taking photos for warranty purposes
numberplate

Postby heavymental on Fri, 06 Jul 2018 12:11 +0000

Is the issue with all airboxes or is the issue due to standard toyota snorkel ?
heavymental

Postby banksy on Sat, 07 Jul 2018 4:35 +0000

Happened to me passing a quad out of port headland in a rental ute, no snorkel.

If toyota thinks its not a recall they are kidding, someone will get killed.
banksy

Postby Silverfox1111 on Sat, 07 Jul 2018 6:54 +0000

Now that the motoring world knows about this I'd expect the resale values to now take a hit if toyota don't do a recall & fix all of them.
Silverfox
Silverfox1111

Postby Allords on Sat, 07 Jul 2018 1:39 +0000

Im not sure i understand this article .......Otherthan its a big problem.

If there is a gap between the filter and the box which is letting dust pass through, then regular cleaning / replacing of the filter means nothing. As you could have a new filter in there, but dust passes through "a gap"

That also removes the assumption that whatever particle size passes through is small and does not present a problem?
How would you know. There's gap ! Whats the micron size of the gap FFS

I think i'll get a unifilter condom/beanie thing for my snorkle when going off road or on dusty track.

http://www.uniflow.com.au/contents/en-u ... aners.html

I guess the first warning is when the car goes into "limp mode" because the MAF sensor is dirty.
2nd warning is detonation of either the turbo or engine
Allords

Postby chevaps on Tue, 10 Jul 2018 9:40 +0000

A couple weeks ago i had my Hilux in for a turbo replacement (damaged compressor wheel).
Before the 300km drive home I inspected everything under the bonnet and it looked ok.
A couple of days later I decided to check fluid levels and airbox before another long drive, and I was actually surprised to see some fine dust on the engine side of the air filter. It wasn't much, so i just wiped it away thinking it was a small amount of contamination from the turbo replacement job.

Then as if Facebook knew what I was doing, the next day this very article popped up on my feed, and got me a bit concerned.

I'm closely monitoring it and if the levels build up I will be taking photos and providing it to my dealership while referencing this online article.

I would hate to think dust ingress was the cause of my turbo failure....

I'm interested in hearing how many more people on this forum have this issue.

Cheers

Tom
chevaps

Postby James_k on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 10:31 +0000

I have rang Toyota Australia with no answers. Dealer’s head service/tech man says they’ve never heard of this issue but will chase it up.... disappointing.

Can anyone confirm if there’s a gap in the airbox/lid enclosure where particles are getting through unfiltered? Or is it fine particles of filtered matter which are getting through?
Toyota have always had exceptionally good airbox’s in 4wds over the years for both filtration and sheer volume/size and serviceability, so would be very disappointing if this airbox leaks unfiltered air/matter through and just as poor if our filter element isn’t filtering to the correct micron amount for MAF and turbo compressor etc to deal with.
Am very curious to see how they fix this and if they actually implement this fix on all of our existing *not showroom* vehicles.
James_k

Postby Godzilla73 on Wed, 11 Jul 2018 2:40 +0000

chevaps wrote:A couple weeks ago i had my Hilux in for a turbo replacement (damaged compressor wheel).

What symptoms did you have with your turbo out of curiosity?
Godzilla73

Postby chevaps on Thu, 12 Jul 2018 9:23 +0000

Godzilla73 wrote:
chevaps wrote:A couple weeks ago i had my Hilux in for a turbo replacement (damaged compressor wheel).

A very loud whistling sound while boosting, similar to a police or ambulance siren.
chevaps

Postby ktm300 on Thu, 12 Jul 2018 10:12 +0000

chevaps wrote:
Godzilla73 wrote:

A very loud whistling sound while boosting, similar to a police or ambulance siren.

There are alot of Doof Doof p platers dying for there hilux to sound like that. They want that fully sick blow off valve sound [emoji1]
ktm300

Postby grunf on Sat, 21 Jul 2018 12:40 +0000

Just following up in regards to recent media reports re dust ingress and cars ending up in limp mode due to dust accumulating on MAF sensor.

What is everyone else view on this?

Couple of points:
- potential for damage of turbo/engine
- how to fix it
- any aftermarket airbox solutions? (quick search reveals this one: https://www.jmaxengineering.com.au/prod ... sh-options , are there any others around?

Cheers
18 SR auto, Bullbar, winch, Snorkel, Towbar, TowPro, Stedi LED’s, Dobinsons GVM upgrade, Steel tray, Aluminium Canopy, ARB on-board air compressor, Diff breathers, BFG MT KM3 265/70-R17, Uneek4x4 rocksliders, Frontier LR fuel tank etc
grunf

Postby CB23 on Sat, 21 Jul 2018 4:11 +0000

grunf wrote:Just following up in regards to recent media reports re dust ingress and cars ending up in limp mode due to dust accumulating on MAF sensor.

What is everyone else view on this?

Couple of points:
- potential for damage of turbo/engine
- how to fix it
- any aftermarket airbox solutions? (quick search reveals this one: https://www.jmaxengineering.com.au/prod ... sh-options , are there any others around?

Cheers

That Jmax kit looks great, wish I'd got one of those.
I hope someone from Toyota soon shares a problem solver, surely can't be too difficult to tell us where to seal it up.
I'm considering a smear of grease on the filter seal (like we do on dirt bikes) to fix it... lucky I haven't done many dusty roads, and evidence suggests mine is thus far clean/safe.
CB23

Postby Godzilla73 on Sat, 21 Jul 2018 5:22 +0000

The only thing we as owners should have to be doing, is booking it in for the fix to be applied...

Tipping all they're really doing is writing up documents to cover their butts into the future, and bumping up the capped price service costs so the dealerships aren't out of pocket for all these extra checks they're having to do...
Godzilla73

Postby grunf on Sun, 22 Jul 2018 8:02 +0000

I am surprised that this potentially big issue appears not to have much of a reaction here from gen 8 owners.
18 SR auto, Bullbar, winch, Snorkel, Towbar, TowPro, Stedi LED’s, Dobinsons GVM upgrade, Steel tray, Aluminium Canopy, ARB on-board air compressor, Diff breathers, BFG MT KM3 265/70-R17, Uneek4x4 rocksliders, Frontier LR fuel tank etc
grunf

Postby Myralga on Sun, 22 Jul 2018 8:27 +0000

I am watching two points very closely.
One this post
Two my air box.
Thus far it’s clean but my dirt road driving is rather clean also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Postby damon27 on Sun, 22 Jul 2018 10:31 +0000

Just got back from 800kms worth of dirt roads and lots of other road users around the Gibb River Road, yeah it was dusty!
Have heard about this dust ingress issue so grabbed another air filter yesterday and went about investigating where the dust is apparently getting in. Opened my air box and pre-filter the box was full of bull dust and the filter like wise, as you would expect. Post filter (top section of air box) was spotless, no signs of any dust to the naked eye appear to be making it through or around the outskirts of the filter.
I’m not saying there isn’t an issue here, but if there was one on my lux I’d have expected it to raise its head after seeing the condition of my air box.
damon27

Postby Deuscartel on Mon, 23 Jul 2018 7:19 +0000

I put in a K&N filter when I did my snorkel. 10,000km has past nothing has got past it. The K&N filters do have quite a good rubber seal around the edge, which compresses well when closing the box. I usually put the paper one back in when doing long periods of off road dust driving, but I’m not too sure if I will until after this possible issue is resolved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deuscartel

Next

Return to Engines