2017 HILUX ARE YOU HAPPY WITH ENG POWER ?.

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Re: 2017 HILUX ARE YOU HAPPY WITH ENG POWER ?.

Postby Gipsy on Thu, 11 Jan 2018 5:29 +0000

"Next mod is an auto lock up kit." :o :shock: :lol: so why did you buy an auto? This is precisely why autos are better for towing, because the torque converter is a multiplier and is designed to match revs with load! ;)

Quote nicsolux: "BTW there are one or two armchair eggspurts on here who like to comment on everything and anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nickoslux

Yeah that made me laugh too. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby Gipsy on Thu, 11 Jan 2018 5:36 +0000

Andyfive wrote:
nickoslux wrote:Dangermouse
BTW there are one or two armchair eggspurts on here who like to comment on everything and anything
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That made me laugh. It's pretty obvious, it's a forum on the internet....

That made me ROFL ROFL :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers Gipsy :D although I'm sure somebody will challenge that :lol: even Einstein wasn't certain of his theories.
My 2013 auto D4D DC SR5, prefilter, 3" exhaust and Chip with egt probe, stock SR5 rims with Toyo Open Country AT2 265/65R/17's
Gipsy

Postby HK1837 on Thu, 11 Jan 2018 5:55 +0000

Dangermouse wrote:Thanks all, all points taken.

Also I think the Steinbaeur limits power output under load [pulling trailer up long hill] IE:excessive temp etc so limiting power] perhaps this is a factor in the 'hitting a wall 'feeling that I have described.

No I didnt expect this little motor to pull like a 200 series but just thought it would pull a little better.

Thank again for feedback.

It will pull but most likely wants to be in a lower gear. These little diesels have an avalanche at the end of their torque curve, have a look at the attached link for example, especially the small rpm band peak of the modified vehicle curve. Manual Rangers are the same, trying to rev one of those in gear feeds like you hit a wall around 3000rpm. Next time you tow, try dropping it back to 3rd once you feel it lugging, let it gain momentum then change back to 4th when cresting the hill. Using that top curve as an example you ideally want to keep that particular engine revs between 1750 and 2250rpm, the standard curve looks to be more forgiving although less overall torque. An intelligent auto that is controlled properly should do this for you, but they need better cooling than what is provided standard.

https://www.safari4x4.com.au/images/pro ... -graph.jpg
HK1837

Postby Gipsy on Thu, 11 Jan 2018 6:27 +0000

Just to take up the "armchair eggspurts" comment... Why come to a forum, ask a question but expect that the person(s) answering that question has no knowledge??

Sadly we have lost several "armchair eggspurts" e .g boxhead and talktheroo who ACTUALLY do know stuff precisely because of comments from Rock spiders and trolls who have little or nothing to contribute other than snide remarks!
For the record, I have 7years university training, aeronautical engineering qualifications, 50years experience in engines, fluid dynamics, hydraulics, building transmission systems for equipment ranging from helicopters, jet engines, right through to D7 and D9 Caterpillar tractors. Not to mention a lifetime of towing big heavy loads and yes I even have a Heavy Rigid drivers license.

BTW I still don't consider myself an expert! We ALL can learn from others if we take the time to listen and participate in the discussion without putting others down :D

Glad I got that off my chest. :|
Gipsy

Postby Gipsy on Thu, 11 Jan 2018 7:03 +0000

BTW a good read, although simplistic is available here;

https://blog.caranddriver.com/horsepowe ... ifference/

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-par ... verter.htm

"Modern torque converters can multiply the torque of the engine by two to three times. This effect only happens when the engine is turning much faster than the transmission.

At higher speeds, the transmission catches up to the engine, eventually moving at almost the same speed. Ideally, though, the transmission would move at exactly the same speed as the engine, because this difference in speed wastes power. This is part of the reason why cars with automatic transmissions get worse gas mileage than cars with manual transmissions."

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-par ... torque.htm

"Let's look at the differences between two truck engines. A Dodge Ram truck with a 6.7-liter Cummins Turbo Diesel engine has 350 horsepower and 650 pounds-feet of torque. The same truck with a 5.7-liter Hemi gasoline V8 engine, on the other hand, has 383 horsepower and 400 pounds-feet of torque. See the difference? While the gasoline engine has a little more power, the diesel's torque completely blows it away [source: Dodge]."

"While the two trucks have very similar towing capacities --15,650 pounds (7098.7 kg) for the gasoline engine and 16,350 pounds (7416.2 kg) for the diesel -- all that low-end power means the diesel engine will have an easier time towing things. Keep in mind that the diesel Dodge engine gets that much torque at only 1,500 rpm, which is just above idle. With a diesel engine, you won't have to rev up to start towing because the power already exists."

The Caterpillar D7 had both naturally and turbo-charged aspirated diesel engines with a displacement of 831 cubic inches or 13.6 liters. It had four cylinders, a bore by stroke of 5 3/4-by-8 inches and a compression ratio of 15.7 to 1. It used a liquid cooling system with a coolant capacity of 72 quarts. It used an oil bath air cleaner, had an oil capacity of 22 quarts and employed a two-cylinder pony engine starter type.

Performance Specs

The Caterpillar D7 bulldozer was able to generate a maximum output of 89.10 hp at 1,200 rpm. It had a maximum belt fuel use of 6 gallons per hour and a maximum drawbar power of 78.48 hp. In addition, it could generate a maximum drawbar pull of 21,351 lbs.

How does the Caterpillar tractors do this? It's all about torque!

This may explain what has been discussed here! ;)
Gipsy

Postby Dangermouse on Sat, 13 Jan 2018 5:14 +0000

Thanks nickolux, yes I have been thinking of a dyno run just clarify that the motor/chip are performing correctly.

Also another comparison, mate of mine has a late model Colorado 'stock as a rock' 6sp man,carries 3-400kg more than me and he seems to easily hold uphill speed better than me, these are the things that make me question if mine is performing up to scratch.Mine with the chip and his standard should be very much on par I would think.

In regard to Ram comment,a good buddy of mine has one that tows 3500T double axle Jayco and that thing can overtake all of us uphill with out breaking a sweat ,those things pull like stink.

Cheers DM.
Dangermouse

Postby HK1837 on Sat, 13 Jan 2018 7:23 +0000

Do you still have the original tyres on rims? Tyres you have are just under 4% bigger in diameter than an original 2017 SR5's 265/60/18 or 2017 SR's 265/65/17 tyres. If I remember my high school physics or early years of Uni mechanical subjects correctly that means 4% less torque available at the wheels.

If you did a back to back dyne comparison of your Hilux with the original tyres on the back verses what you have now it would be interesting.

Note also the Colorado has significantly more power and torque too, and you'd have to compare the gearing of both in the gear he is using. I bet he has original size tyres on it too.
HK1837

Postby reetzy on Sun, 21 Jan 2018 6:05 +0000

ktm300 wrote:
Dangermouse wrote:Gipsy, are you serious '2 posts says it all'. Fair dinkum mate.you are still missing the point.

I have recently owned a 79 series which also has its pros/cons, I am simply asking for feedback from people with similar rigs to see how they're rigs are performing.

PS:also have had a late model Ranger and got rid of it because of major auto problems, and have driven a Late model auto Hilux and found the gear selection to be less than average.so decided on the manual.

Cheers.

Sounds like you have to much money .

What type of reply is that! Sounds like you don’t have enough!
reetzy

Previous

Return to Engines