DPF blowing smoke, ECM update, Replacement etc

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Re: DPF blowing smoke, ECM update, Replacement etc

Postby mully man on Fri, 04 Jan 2019 5:54 +0000

gjn wrote:
wildthing wrote:gjn, did you also get the manual burn switch?

No, I did not ask for that and it wasn't mentioned. So far I haven't had any issue with the DPF apart from 2 slight smoke events after sustained high speed driving (110kph for 2-3 hours) so it's probably not warranted, it would be nice to have installed, just in case, though.

I've never received the letter from Toyota, the only way I knew about it's existence was through this forum (thanks) - so I'm wondering if Toyota is (a) only sending it to drivers who have complained of DPF issues or (b) staggering the release to reduce workload on the dealers?

Hi,
Can answer part A of your question- mines booked in next Tuesday after recieving the letter a few weeks ago. Never complained about the DPF as havnt noticed any issues so far apart from a couple of tiny puffs of white smoke when its doing a burn, fuel economy is good as well. Would say its just a gradual releae of the letters over a period of time.
mully man

Postby gjn on Fri, 04 Jan 2019 6:59 +0000

mully man wrote:Hi,
Can answer part A of your question- mines booked in next Tuesday after recieving the letter a few weeks ago. Never complained about the DPF as havnt noticed any issues so far apart from a couple of tiny puffs of white smoke when its doing a burn, fuel economy is good as well. Would say its just a gradual releae of the letters over a period of time.

Do you know if you are getting the manual burn switch installed or just the ECU update?
gjn

Postby mully man on Fri, 04 Jan 2019 7:04 +0000

gjn wrote:
mully man wrote:Hi,

Do you know if you are getting the manual burn switch installed or just the ECU update?

Just the ECU update- no mention of the manual burn switch but as i said ive had zero problems with mine. Should add its an auto 2017 SR5.
mully man

Postby wildthing on Fri, 04 Jan 2019 7:06 +0000

Thanks all for the information provided on this thread.
I did receive the letter and have vehicle booked in for January 24 - will ask for both the "DPF regeneration" display as well as the manual burn switch.
It seems from the various posts that the first request should be no problem, but there may be a battle to achieve the second!!
wildthing

Postby Andyfive on Sat, 05 Jan 2019 4:03 +0000

So I have been reading this thread for a while. Why do owners believe they need a manual Burn switch? I’ve had the ability to do a manual burn using a ScanGauge, did it twice to prove I can and haven’t done one since. I can’t see what all the fuss is about. It’s handy having PDF regen notifications on the dash. Thoughts?
Andyfive

Postby wildthing on Sat, 05 Jan 2019 6:09 +0000

Andyfive,
An answer or sorts.....we were with a mate whose new Prado went up in flames in spinifex on the Canning Stock Route a couple of years ago. When travelling in that sort of country I believe it would be useful to be able to determine when you do a burn, rather than relying on the computer chip to decide to it when you are bonnet deep in dry grass.
But of course even without the manual burn, it will be extremely useful to have the dashboard notification operating so you know when they risk factor is elevated.
wildthing

Postby Bushwalker8 on Sat, 05 Jan 2019 8:12 +0000

The light could be useful but in a last ditch way because by the time you get it it's already burning.
A programmed scangauge is far better option from a proactive sense because you can monitor the accumulation percentage increasing & predict the upcoming burn and make decisions early, as well as initiate a burn if you ever needed to.
Bushwalker8

Postby Andyfive on Sun, 06 Jan 2019 5:52 +0000

wildthing wrote:Andyfive,
An answer or sorts.....we were with a mate whose new Prado went up in flames in spinifex on the Canning Stock Route a couple of years ago. When travelling in that sort of country I believe it would be useful to be able to determine when you do a burn, rather than relying on the computer chip to decide to it when you are bonnet deep in dry grass.
But of course even without the manual burn, it will be extremely useful to have the dashboard notification operating so you know when they risk factor is elevated.

I think the ability to stop/pause a burn would be a better idea. It's hard to predict what the trail is going to be like every ~300klm.
Andyfive

Postby Andyfive on Sun, 06 Jan 2019 5:55 +0000

Bushwalker8 wrote:The light could be useful but in a last ditch way because by the time you get it it's already burning.
A programmed scangauge is far better option from a proactive sense because you can monitor the accumulation percentage increasing & predict the upcoming burn and make decisions early, as well as initiate a burn if you ever needed to.

Agree, I think all owners should go down the scanguage path. I've have used them for PDF and trans temps etc. Very handy and relatively cheap solution.
Andyfive

Postby fitchy on Mon, 07 Jan 2019 7:35 +0000

gjn wrote:
fitchy wrote:Hey everyone, Has anyone got an early month 2016 sr5 that has had the update and had the dpf regeneration alert come up on the dash activated? I’ve been told by my dealer that the alert on my 02/16 can’t be done. Can anyone prove them otherwise?

Shane

I have an early 2016 SR SCC and can confirm that, after the latest ECU upgrade and setting Custom Mode, that I get the "DPF Regeneration in process" display. If I get it on an SR level dash in a 2016 vehicle you should definitely be able to get it on an SR5 level dash.

Thanks for that mate. I’ll try them again or another dealer. What month build is yours?
Shane
fitchy

Postby gjn on Tue, 08 Jan 2019 4:24 +0000

fitchy wrote:
gjn wrote:
fitchy wrote:Hey everyone, Has anyone got an early month 2016 sr5 that has had the update and had the dpf regeneration alert come up on the dash activated? I’ve been told by my dealer that the alert on my 02/16 can’t be done. Can anyone prove them otherwise?

Shane

I have an early 2016 SR SCC and can confirm that, after the latest ECU upgrade and setting Custom Mode, that I get the "DPF Regeneration in process" display. If I get it on an SR level dash in a 2016 vehicle you should definitely be able to get it on an SR5 level dash.

Thanks for that mate. I’ll try them again or another dealer. What month build is yours?
Shane

April, 2016
gjn

Postby grunf on Wed, 23 Jan 2019 2:27 +0000

Just did the service today. ECU updated, will report here any changes. Manual DPF switch requested (dealership has to request manual switch from Toyota and then when approved dealership installs it.

The muppet at the service department forgot to request dpf switch when I booked the car for the service, it was meant to be installed today. Gave him the serve and he requested switch today :x

Also replaced air blower fan, was making cricket or chirping noise sometimes. Now appears to be quiet.
18 SR auto, Bullbar, winch, Snorkel, Towbar, TowPro, Stedi LED’s, Dobinsons GVM upgrade, Steel tray, Aluminium Canopy, ARB on-board air compressor, Diff breathers, BFG MT KM3 265/70-R17, Uneek4x4 rocksliders, Frontier LR fuel tank etc
grunf

Postby Myralga on Wed, 23 Jan 2019 4:19 +0000

Stupid question but is anyone on here having issues with the DPF in a manual Transmission vehicle.
Until recently I never knew that the autos won’t burn while in park. If I personally get to work/home and it wants to do its burn I just leave the car running and let it do it (I understand not everyone can walk away from there car leaving it running in parking lot)
Just seems like that may be why I never had a drama with my DPF ever. I just let it do it’s thing. Most of the time my ute only drives 15km each way to work and home so I am doing short drives. So in theory should be playing up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Postby grunf on Wed, 23 Jan 2019 6:33 +0000

Why wouldn't they do burn in park?
I do manual burn (on auto hilux) and car is in park.
18 SR auto, Bullbar, winch, Snorkel, Towbar, TowPro, Stedi LED’s, Dobinsons GVM upgrade, Steel tray, Aluminium Canopy, ARB on-board air compressor, Diff breathers, BFG MT KM3 265/70-R17, Uneek4x4 rocksliders, Frontier LR fuel tank etc
grunf

Postby wildthing on Thu, 24 Jan 2019 1:34 +0000

I had my 2018 SR auto in for the DPF recall today.
They did the software upgrade and system inspection and also activated the DPF custom mode which gives a dashboard indication when a burn is under way - I haven't seen this in operation yet as have only driven home from the dealership.
However they declined my request to instal under warranty the over-ride switch for a manual burn....will have to see how I go at attempting to persuade Toyota to review that decision :?: :?
wildthing

Postby Myralga on Thu, 24 Jan 2019 5:26 +0000

grunf wrote:Why wouldn't they do burn in park?
I do manual burn (on auto hilux) and car is in park.

Been told by a couple people the ute idles back down as soon as it was in park. ( I have never tested it) always found that info odd.
Maybe I am wrong. Dunno

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Myralga

Postby Bushwalker8 on Thu, 24 Jan 2019 6:57 +0000

Myralga wrote:autos won’t burn while in park.

Instructions in the vehicle manual for initiating a manual burn in step 2 specifically state to shift auto's into P or N.

The instructions issued post-DPF Switch retrofit for manual burn also state same "...shift the vehicle into Park with the engine running.." so latest code remains consistent there.

However the confusion could be that these notes also state with respect to automatic regeneration that "If the vehicle continues to be idle without the engine ECU receiving a vehicle speed signal for approximately 5 minutes, or the engine is switched off, the automatic regeneration will be postponed until a vehicle speed signal (i.e. without vehicle driving/moving off again) is received, at which point automatic regeneration will resume."

It's not clear if this also applied to earlier versions of the ECU code
Bushwalker8

Postby grunf on Tue, 05 Feb 2019 12:53 +0000

Had the switch installed today. Manual switch will only work if the DPF gets full and DPF light or a message (depending on a hilux model) is displayed on the dashboard. You can't manually start DPF burn just for the sake of it. So no one can actually tell if the switch will work if and when is needed.

The way around it is using TorquePro app and custom PID command as described in other topics here - by doing this a forced burn can be performed any time.

ECM was updated as per my previous posts and since then I noticed that DPF regeneration happens appox 50% faster.
Today they also activated option for a message to show when DPF burn starts. Will see if it is working, at the moment DPF is only 38%.
grunf

Postby wildthing on Tue, 05 Feb 2019 8:26 +0000

I had my DPF recall completed last week, and the dashboard message has been activated...this kicked in today while I was driving locally, and I estimate the burn went for about 15 minutes.
At the time of my booking last week the dealership declined my request for a manual switch to be installed and said this was only offered on a case by case basis.
But after I made an appeal via the customer centre specifying the type of driving I do and the terrain covered (lots of off-road including some heavily vegetated tracks) they reviewed the request and the dealership contacted me yesterday to advise my request had been approved.
Switch is scheduled for fitting in a couple of weeks time.
Cheers
wildthing

Postby Micky1 on Wed, 06 Feb 2019 5:58 +0000

Had the update done and activated the DPF custom mode, first burn showed up "DPF regen in progress" in the dash display and hit the arrow button to remove and i went to the message display to see when it turned off. Burn only took 15 minutes instead of about 40 minutes at 100 km/hr went off at 6% on the scanguage display. Temps were a lot hotter than before reaching 720 c so far all looks good :D
Micky1

PreviousNext

Return to Engines