DPF blowing smoke, ECM update, Replacement etc

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Re: DPF blowing smoke, ECM update, Replacement etc

Postby grunf on Tue, 10 Mar 2020 2:57 +0000

witherz mine is preface lift, bought in May 2018. (built March 2018).

We have same dealer probably in Hoppers Crossing. When they did ECU upgrade, you HAVE to ask for DPF burn message to be enabled otherwise they will not do it.
Also I got them to install manual switch which is crap anyway as you can only use it if the DPF completely crap itself.
Send me a message if you want to have a look, I am in Werribee area mate.
18 SR auto, Bullbar, winch, Snorkel, Towbar, TowPro, Stedi LED’s, Dobinsons GVM upgrade, Steel tray, Aluminium Canopy, ARB on-board air compressor, Diff breathers, BFG MT KM3 265/70-R17, Uneek4x4 rocksliders, Frontier LR fuel tank etc
grunf

Postby grunf on Tue, 10 Mar 2020 3:32 +0000

CamboT thankx for that mate.
Not sure what is GT model in australia as we have SR and SR5, Renegade etc.

I had this DPF ECU upgrade few months back.

I monitor car ECU info via OBD dongle and TorquePro app.
Recently when driving long distances on freeways DPF will usually start regenerating (burn) at approx after 250-290kms driving.
After the burn is completed, if I still continue uninterrupted drive on the freeway (usual speeds of 110km/h), the DPF will start accumulating soot much much quicker, almost 1% for every km driven. So its then showing as full after approx 100-130kms and commences the burn again!

If I then stop or start driving in suburbs (stop, start traffic, up to 70-80km/h) the actual percentages of how much soot is accumulated in DPF start falling. Sometimes from 80% to lets 30% etc. But if I continue driving the DPF burns will happen every 100 or so kms, which is not normal.

I am at the loss why is this happening.

Been to Toyota number of times and every time I am advised no codes, can not diagnose what is going on and all appears correct. No smoke from exhaust.

I wonder if anyone else is experiencing frequent burns whilst driving on the freways long distances?

CamboT do you possibly have part number for the new updated 5th injector and/or job reference number or a code for the whole thing?
18 SR auto, Bullbar, winch, Snorkel, Towbar, TowPro, Stedi LED’s, Dobinsons GVM upgrade, Steel tray, Aluminium Canopy, ARB on-board air compressor, Diff breathers, BFG MT KM3 265/70-R17, Uneek4x4 rocksliders, Frontier LR fuel tank etc
grunf

Postby CamboT on Tue, 10 Mar 2020 4:32 +0000

grunf wrote:CamboT thankx for that mate.

CamboT do you possibly have part number for the new updated 5th injector and/or job reference number or a code for the whole thing?

PN Hilux and Fortuner 25051-0E031
Prado 25051-11051
Additional Injector Housing PN Hilux and Fortuner 23295-0E030
Prado 23295-11040

Symptom / Condition:
Customer is concerned at amount of white smoke being produced
OR
DPF warning light on or DPF FULL VISIT YOUR DEALER showing

Software updates get downloaded from Service Net.
Customisation of the cooling pulse for 5th injector needs to be done as well. Turns it off. Sequence to do that is quite tricky. Not something done via techstream.
Forced regen needs to get done to finish off to make sure 5th injector operates correctly and the PM ratio is at its lowest accumulation.
Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh
CamboT

Postby grunf on Tue, 10 Mar 2020 5:40 +0000

Thanks mate, I will probe our local Toyota dealership to see if they even heard of this
grunf

Postby Micky1 on Wed, 11 Mar 2020 4:25 +0000

grunf wrote:CamboT thankx for that mate.

I had this DPF ECU upgrade few months back.

I monitor car ECU info via OBD dongle and TorquePro app.
Recently when driving long distances on freeways DPF will usually start regenerating (burn) at approx after 250-290kms driving.
After the burn is completed, if I still continue uninterrupted drive on the freeway (usual speeds of 110km/h), the DPF will start accumulating soot much much quicker, almost 1% for every km driven. So its then showing as full after approx 100-130kms and commences the burn again!

If I then stop or start driving in suburbs (stop, start traffic, up to 70-80km/h) the actual percentages of how much soot is accumulated in DPF start falling. Sometimes from 80% to lets 30% etc. But if I continue driving the DPF burns will happen every 100 or so kms, which is not normal.

I am at the loss why is this happening.

Been to Toyota number of times and every time I am advised no codes, can not diagnose what is going on and all appears correct. No smoke from exhaust.

I wonder if anyone else is experiencing frequent burns whilst driving on the freways long distances?

Mine does the exactly the same thing, I use a scangauge to monitor the DPF soot load and if I do a long trip first burn will be about 250 to 300 Km then will do a burn around every 80 to 100 Km. If I stop for a few hours the soot load drops to 40 % then starts climbing again quite quickly and burns about 200 Km. If I stop overnight it goes back to the 250 to 300 Km burn again ?
Micky1

Postby grunf on Wed, 11 Mar 2020 9:35 +0000

Hi mate, I noticed this after they installed the update for DPF.
Is it the same case with you?
What does your dealer say?

I will take second phone with me next time I go for a long drive and will record torquepro data together with dashboard kms traveled so I can raise more noise with Toyota in regards to this.
grunf

Postby Micky1 on Fri, 13 Mar 2020 5:16 +0000

grunf wrote:Hi mate, I noticed this after they installed the update for DPF.
Is it the same case with you?
What does your dealer say?

I will take second phone with me next time I go for a long drive and will record torquepro data together with dashboard kms traveled so I can raise more noise with Toyota in regards to this.

Yep it was after the update, haven't been to the dealer since will ask at the next service about the quick burns.
Micky1

Postby mully man on Sat, 14 Mar 2020 2:35 +0000

Hi guys- same thing happens to my hilux (2017 SR5 auto) on open road whilst towing my boat (only a 4.7m Quintrex tinny so not overly heavy & always tow around 95-100km/hr.
Just got back from a trip away with boat yesterday from Pt. Lincoln to Adelaide (around 650km) in that time it did 4 burns & each one lasted for 45min or around 70-75km. Hilux had the update done around 12 months ago & burns around the city last around 15 min and occur every 350km’s or so. No white smoke is evident and car runs fine with good economy except when towing as it appears to be doing burns so often which therefore jumps the fuel use up. Havnt spoken to Toyota about this but would be interested to see if many other owners have the same issue.
mully man

Postby grunf on Sat, 14 Mar 2020 8:03 +0000

Well why dont you speak to toyota?
More of us start chasing them sooner they will do something about it.
grunf

Postby wildthing on Sun, 15 Mar 2020 9:44 +0000

mully man wrote:Hi guys- same thing happens to my hilux (2017 SR5 auto) on open road whilst towing my boat (only a 4.7m Quintrex tinny so not overly heavy & always tow around 95-100km/hr.
Just got back from a trip away with boat yesterday from Pt. Lincoln to Adelaide (around 650km) in that time it did 4 burns & each one lasted for 45min or around 70-75km. Hilux had the update done around 12 months ago & burns around the city last around 15 min and occur every 350km’s or so. No white smoke is evident and car runs fine with good economy except when towing as it appears to be doing burns so often which therefore jumps the fuel use up. Havnt spoken to Toyota about this but would be interested to see if many other owners have the same issue.

Mine is the same Mully Man, and I'll certainly be raising it (again!!) with Toyota at next service. I've been keeping a record of any interactions with them on this topic, so that if there is any major issue (or a class action) in future, I have the paperwork necessary.
wildthing

Postby grunf on Sun, 29 Mar 2020 5:34 +0000

edited
Last edited by grunf on Wed, 05 Aug 2020 6:45 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
grunf

Postby numberplate on Mon, 30 Mar 2020 5:51 +0000

grunf wrote:I had second a phone and was recording key moments of DPF accumulation percentages as shown on my main phone TorquePro app, distance traveled on odometer etc.
Sent all of that to local Toyota who advised me same day they sent it all to techs in Japan.

yes that's correct , its known as a DPF study. They also pull out all the data from the ECU itself. its their head office which approves a replacement and the funds.
numberplate

Postby grunf on Tue, 31 Mar 2020 7:47 +0000

Good news, got a call today, all approved, new dpf, new 5th injector and new injector housing.
grunf

Postby witherz on Wed, 01 Apr 2020 5:45 +0000

That's great news. Will be interesting to see what difference you notice and how it holds up over 1-2 years.

I wonder if Toyota have any plans to start rolling it out to all vehicles, or just wait for individuals go to great lengths to prove there's an issue with theirs.
witherz

Postby mully man on Wed, 01 Apr 2020 3:21 +0000

Thats great news re DPF burns/replacement- Grunf.
620km with 4 burns is about what mine’s been doing- but as im usually always towing on the open road im not entirely sure what it does without the boat behind it. Would love to head of for a big drive without the boat just to see but in the current state of things im taking every day of work that i can get.
Anyway hilux is due for 60k service soon so i’ll bring it up with them again & see what response i get as i dont have any of the scanners etc to record and show them proof- thanks for taking the time to share your story & result.
mully man

Postby grunf on Wed, 01 Apr 2020 7:49 +0000

Mate, they will “check” it in the shop whilst doing the servicing and will say everything is good....
They did that to me 4 times. Only after I recorded the bloody thing they (Toyota Japan) did something as I also dropped the hints of giving video to Banister Law....

Mind you, dealership where I go, service advisor and service manager have been great, but they can only do what Toyota instructs them to do.
I know we all mostly complain about dealerships, I am first one to do that if warranted, but this time I have no issues with dealership where I take my car for servicing. Like I said, their hands are tied by Toyota Japan.
grunf

Postby grunf on Mon, 06 Apr 2020 12:27 +0000

edited
Last edited by grunf on Wed, 05 Aug 2020 6:45 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
grunf

Postby wildthing on Mon, 06 Apr 2020 9:37 +0000

Thanks for that grunf, that's really useful information for many of us with DPF concerns
wildthing

Postby mully man on Tue, 07 Apr 2020 5:50 +0000

Thanks for the update- i’ve got my 60k service coming up shortly so i’ll raise the open road DPF burn issue with them then. As i said fine around town just open road whilst towing seems to be a problem. Thanks again for taking the time to keep us posted with this.
mully man

Postby grunf on Tue, 07 Apr 2020 3:24 +0000

edited
Last edited by grunf on Wed, 05 Aug 2020 6:46 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
grunf

PreviousNext

Return to Engines