2wd gen8 v6 hilux 1gr-fe mods

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Re: 2wd gen8 v6 hilux 1gr-fe mods

Postby v6hiluxnz on Thu, 02 Mar 2017 5:23 +0000

Had a play with the front y pipe 2 day on the v6 gen8. There is 4 cats 2 on each side. With o2 sensors on both sides of the front set of cats. This ezhaust will probly only be in place for a few months...
So i unbolted the ypipe and removed the 2 rear cats. Straped on my m3 breathing mask n in got a large drill i use to hang pipe farm gates with est 20mm by 400mm long. Drilled at the internals of the cats n shock it all out.. easy as that.

Bolted back up no codes. N iv thrashed it..

Sounds good under boot. But where it goes 2in1 its restricted compaird to the size of the factory pipe. .. i think the pipe was est 56mm id. Or round 61. 62mm od whicht i recon isnt bad size for factory.

Yea so the 2in1 restricts alot and the rear muffler deffnatly is doing its factory job. It may be a bit loud if i replace the factory muffler with a free flow i dont know. I down want it 2 be loud on cruze mode, but i want it 2 flow.

Going to have 2 build from the conection back from the ypipe in 2.5" with a slielt free flow muffler im thinking. Gessing that bolwar type.
v6hiluxnz

Postby v6hiluxnz on Sat, 04 Mar 2017 5:17 +0000

Fitted the TRD CAI yesterday to the gen8 2wd hilux, got it all fitting right pipe straight with the throttle body and the air box tweaked just a tad on a angle, the air sensor bolts misaligned by est 2mm but i was abbe to sort. looked awesome in the engine bay.

But sounded like shit...when I was round 18 I had a honda civic 1600 twin cam si with a ram tube and a pod filter
it sounded exzactly like that... mean when i was 18..

Now in a hilux and not being 18, its intake howl and the howl is to much, ya cant here no exhaust, maybe with the exhaust done it will level out. ?

power wise ?? no dyno but at the start i wasnt impressed tho once she was moving it felt like she was pulling harder from 100km to 140km but the sound...

so i connected it properly threw to the inner guard, slienced it a tad but not enuff.

I had to take it off for now i have bolted up the factory box, (prity much the same size as the trd) and position and will try it another day. may be after iv played with the exhaust...

iv stuck the TRD filter in the factory air box as they were the same size. and used the TRD intake bowl on the factory box.

Where the air flow sensor sit on my factory set up is my last restriction. it is defiantly a smaller id to the TRD pipes id where it sits.

Bit gutted really i want the trd box in my bonnet, All the TRD SERRIES
v6hiluxnz

Postby v6hiluxnz on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 3:17 +0000

bit of a update..

loving the v6 auto. shes got a heep of grunt. With traction control off, auto in 1st she didn't really want to spin that " 1 tyre fire".. but they do. got her going pushed for seconded gear, auto was smooth and shit she was popping on rev limit wanting me to try 3rd. I must be getting old as the amount of smoke there was with in 10-15 seconds, i didn't want to try 3rd haha just brought me new tyers...

I brought a adrelin r resonator cut out the rear muffler and fitted it. it sounded like "shit" %100 shit. it sounded exactly like my old kun hilux did when started it with the muffler cut off...

so what to do, opened up the factory muffler wow talk about restriction, i got my drill bit out and went to town , all the flow holes were 5-6mm i got a 10mm and drilled every thing i could from the top, a bit hori but great results. you can see where its restricted so i just prity much drilled the shit out of it..

after giving it a good shake was the hard bi,t miging up the 2 thin outer layers.

I know shes defnatly got flow, after the first drive I was gutted i didn't drill more as it wasn't i thought loud enough.

but now im happy, she sounds good not loud but yup good kick it down a gear or half thottle it u know it aint a shity diesel under the hilux :) here that all u 1gr-fe haters :)

any1 fitted the Raptor Supercharger kit to the 1gr-fe, theirs already a kit out for the gen8 v6 to bump ya up to 325kw....
v6hiluxnz

Postby Qwerty on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 5:08 +0000

Just a headsup the 02 cat codes tend to take i think 10 hrs engine run time, before they throw a code. Sometjhing like that.

Drove me nuts when trying to work out which of my cat sensors was being problematic.
Qwerty

Postby v6hiluxnz on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 9:53 +0000

Qwerty wrote:Just a headsup the 02 cat codes tend to take i think 10 hrs engine run time, before they throw a code. Sometjhing like that.

Drove me nuts when trying to work out which of my cat sensors was being problematic.

Yea.. its came up - haven't seem to lost any power or using more fuel. I disconnected the battery for the night it dissapered for "now im guessing " another 10 driving hours it came again.

are you talking about the gen8? have you got any remedies.

Uni Chip will fix it, thats what i was planning to do. But that cost nz $2000 and that 2k can go towards the raptor supercharger kit and that will sort it with it plug and play unit that comes part of the kit. im dreaming at the moment to be able to purchase the spuercharger...

So now im thinking well the lights in the dash are on shal i smash out the 2 front cats as well....
v6hiluxnz

Postby Qwerty on Tue, 21 Mar 2017 10:00 +0000

Sorry mate no I don't but sounds like you're on the right track. Was just giving headsup as I fell into the "yay I've fixed it!" Trap ha ha.

Mine ran very rich when the codes are active. Open loop mode or whatever it's called. Drank like a schoolie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Qwerty

Postby v6hiluxnz on Tue, 16 May 2017 5:48 +0000

UPDATE...

Ok so now I have removed the 4 internals from both sets of cats.. and check lights are staying off on the v6 woho...

i achieved it by buying 2 mini cats - Stainless Steel 90 Degree Angled 02 SENSOR EXTENSION ADAPTER With 400 Cell MINI CAT built in . Adjustable. off trademe
these plug into the set of o2 sensors, mine have the mini cats with a 90 degree where i fit the spacer and screw the o2 into that. left the battery off for a night. iv driven est 200km n its seemd to solved putting the ute in open loop mode.... Choice
v6hiluxnz

Previous

Return to Engines