2wd gen8 v6 hilux 1gr-fe mods

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

2wd gen8 v6 hilux 1gr-fe mods

Postby v6hiluxnz on Sat, 18 Feb 2017 1:03 +0000

Hi, iv just purchased 2wd dc hilux, v6 auto "gen8". Iv always been into my cars over the years, modding them, racing them, breaking them, chucking money at them... Im just not 1 of thoz people that can leave it factory.

Im shore ill attract some haters voicing their opinion on warranty's etc. Trying to keep it positive and see what people have done. :)

Just interested in what mods have people done to there gen8 v6 auto hiluxs.
It will be getting fitted with extractors and a unichip in the future together to sort limp mode with out the cats, and more power.. But that will be a few months down the track with the cost of it.

what model off the shelf extractors have u brought.

Im about to rebuild the exhaust from the cats back, im thinking of using 2.5" pipe with a free flowing muffler or 2 to help silence the v6. -trying to achieve flow but not 2 loud unless im feeding it...

has any 1 smashed out the internals of the cats when doing this and got no "limp mode"... I would love to do this wile the exhaust is off, and not wait for extractors/unichip..

Any 1 played with the factory air box, done any mods, mines to the side of the engine, same position as the v6 TRD aftermarket air box for the v6 gen8. (not the v6 air box over the engine. Im thinking of cutting a 2"to 3" hole on the bottom front side of the air box (below the filter )and run a pipe from the box to the front of the engine bay.

will put some photos up when i work out how to take a smaller size pics. my phone wont scale it down, will have to find me camera.

Thank you
v6hiluxnz

Re: 2wd gen8 v6 hilux 1gr-fe mods

Postby Ben80 on Sun, 19 Feb 2017 5:50 +0000

shift kit the auto you won't regret it
Ben80

Postby DeadlyBeast on Sun, 19 Feb 2017 6:19 +0000

Have a read of gulfstreams posts
Not a gen 8 but valuable information to save unecessary trial and error
http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=23730
DeadlyBeast

Postby Gulfstream8 on Sun, 19 Feb 2017 11:53 +0000

Cheers DeadlyBeast

Hello V6hiluxnz and welcome to Newhilux - you have a very strong and reliable engine there. Just keep it serviced with quality oil and use Toyota oil filters and when changing the oil be like a surgeon and you will have it for many years.

Fortunately for you but disappointedly for new Gen 8 V6 purchasers Toyota did not upgrade the 1GR-FE for the Hilux. All the proven past Dyno testing I've done on Gen 7 V6 will apply to your Gen 8.

TRD CAI - click here for Gen 7 Installation and Dyno Testing viewtopic.php?f=81&t=27016
This will require a slightly different installation process and you will have to extend the Air Flow meter wiring to reach. This will require quality wire and quality soldering. You need to read my report as it's not the Air Box that makes all the Torque and HP - it's actually the pipe work where the meter sits that tricks the ECU. If you read between the lines of what I'm saying you might just be able to get away with purchasing only the intake pipe of the TRD CAI and retrofitting it and that way you may not have to do any wiring modification.

Tacoma Headers and Tuned Length exhaust - click here viewtopic.php?f=81&t=23730
All looks the same to the previous Gen 7 so the Tacoma Headers should fit. As in my report this is the only system that will actually work. If you install long tube extracors you will lose substantial Torque and Hp under 3,000RPM to gain at best a very poultry 7 maybe 8hp at almost redline --- this is useless and will ultimately use more fuel. The standard Headers are what actually contribute to the almost unbelievable 90% of total Torque just off idle - something that traditional Diesels and Big Block V8s can be proud of and it's only the Tacoma factory Headers that actually improve it. If you cannot afford the Tacoma Headers you would be better keeping the standard Hilux Headers

Knocking the cat out
I'm sorry but please don't take offence - this is absolutely Bullxxx! This crap is usually found on forums written by clowns who have no idea and will use terms like "my seat of pants Dyno proves it's makes a 100hp more" :roll: knocking the cat out simply results in more noise (cats work well at reducing sound as well) and this is where some mentally challenged folk think it's making more power. Knocking the cat out will result in a loss of power as you now have a perfect "Max Flow Venturi" with air flow going from a small pipe to a large chamber then back to a small pipe.

Engineers from all manufacturers (Great Wall excluded) are in a massive race to improve engine efficiency and they have been for years. It is so hard to find that extra extra thermodynamic efficiency there is no way they will then let a part like a DPF or CAT damage this. That is why I struggled to find anymore HP or NW than standard system and it was actually in the end the Toyota Engineers with the Tacoma Headers and factory CATs that make more --- and along with race proven Burns Stainless engineering with correct exhaust flow formulas for the very effective CAT back scavenging exhaust I designed.

I have played with engines - oh for a little while now and I always Dyno test and I have proven many times that this is a urban myth that DPIs and Cats are restive. A well designed exhaust Diesel or Petrol - DPF or Cats is not restrictive! The Tacoma Headers and exhaust I have designed above contain factory Toyota CATs and they outperform long tube Headers running no cats.

Anyway enjoy reading

Cheers

Gulfstream
Last edited by Gulfstream8 on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 7:19 +0000, edited 2 times in total.
Gulfstream8

Postby v6hiluxnz on Sun, 19 Feb 2017 6:54 +0000

Thank you guys for all the info,

For the last 2 hours iv been studying what you have done gulfstream8, and im very impressed.
With dyno runs before and after every mod that is the right way to do it.

Ill will get on ebay and see if I can source the TRD pipe, Ill be able to work it to the factory air box, move the air flow meter to the TRD pipe /re route the wires, block up the old air flow meter holes in the air box, check air box inlet size making shore thats no less than 100mm, and check the air box outlet making shore its not smaller the the inlet of the TRD pipe.

With the exhaust, I will "try" and copy your design, wont be as good as yours but ill give it a shot. ill have a go at making the 2.25" tuned y pipe.
Think ill be pulling my hair out making this but ill measure it out and get them as close as i can. Ill also stick to 2.5" for the exhaust and will see if i can source the same mufflers.
Exhaust would be steel and miged up, what im use to working with.

Next step is Trundles Automotive google them, Ill get them to fit the unichip and tune/dyno it.
I will keep ya posted..

v6hiluxnz
v6hiluxnz

Postby Gulfstream8 on Mon, 20 Feb 2017 4:27 +0000

FYI - I would save yourself some coin and do the TRD CAI first before the unichip. The TRD CAI is a calibrated size to perform the trickery that it does. Looking at the DYNO results there is not much left to be able to adjust via the UNICHIP as Fuel and Ignition curves are getting very close to their "Toyota" safe limits. That is why I recommend 94 octane and above for safety. Also While this is a very strong engine it runs very high compression and you don't want to electronically tamper with via the UNICHIP the engines ability to react fast to protect against detonation. The TRD CAI has to meet Toyota's very strict reliability standards.

As in my TRD CAI review it does the following - from biggest improvement to smallest

Gently Trick the ECU
Because where the air flow meter sits is sightly bigger it tricks the ECU into thinking there is not as much load going through and therefore you get slightly more ignition and a much better A/F. The air temp is slightly cooler as well . All these things are what the UNICHIP will be "electronically clamping" ---- but at a much greater cost $$$

Ram Air
From the TRD filter box the TRD pipe is the perfect converging duct to help ever so slightly with KW and NW -- something the UNICHIP cannot do.

Moving the Filter box off the engine for cooler inlet temps
Not applicable for you as Toyota finally did this on the GEN 8 but this is important. Now while (Gen 7) you can trick the ECU inlet air temps with the UniChip and squeeze out more power you still have the slight matter of the fact the air is not the correct and can lead to detonation --- much better to do it properly with the TRD CAI

Perfect and very large inlet and outlet for filter box
Small but useful improvements here and once again something that a piggy back ECU cannot help with

Larger Filter area
Not something you have to worry about as Toyota finally installed on the GEN 8 a decent size filter but in any case on the Gen7 TRD CAI this is the last but very small improvement that a Piggy Back ECU has no control over.

So as you can see for around $400-$500 the TRD CAI is insane value and does simular things a Piggy Back ECU will be doing but a whole lot more than an expensive piggy back ecu and I would be doing that first. If your DYNO person is honest and not trying to sell you a product I think you will find they wont have much left to be able to improve on electronically. Do a before and after Dyno

FYI
I am very confident the TRD CAI was part of some very serious R&D by Toyota USA to be able to enter the Toyota Tacoma in the Baja Bash in the production class where they could just replace the CAT back exhaust with a highly effective Tuned Length scavenging system and simply install the TRD CAI.

Cheers

Gulfstream
Gulfstream8

Postby v6hiluxnz on Mon, 20 Feb 2017 8:39 +0000

Ok ill order 1 found them on ebay..TRD CAI P/N PTR03-35090 that will be the 1 to buy for the gen8 to make fit, struggling to just find the pipe on ebay

also how do u add photos like you have would like to add the pics of the mods
v6hiluxnz

Postby Gulfstream8 on Mon, 20 Feb 2017 10:57 +0000

Try here for how to upload photos

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=7500
Last edited by Gulfstream8 on Mon, 20 Feb 2017 3:31 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Gulfstream8

Postby Gulfstream8 on Mon, 20 Feb 2017 11:01 +0000

There are a very small number on here with the Gen 8 V6 and they would be eternally grateful if you install the TRD CAI on the new Gen 8 and provide images plus before and after DYNO runs.

It is very disappointing that Toyota did not upgrade the V6 to the "now industry standard" for Utes of around 450nw but a spend of only around $500 should get close to this and if you can help achieve this for them - well :twisted:
Gulfstream8

Postby Decxan on Mon, 20 Feb 2017 1:40 +0000

Hi Gulfstream

Being one of the few Gen8 V6 owners I thought I'd post a pic of the air box setup as I think it had changed from earlier models.

Decxan

Postby Gulfstream8 on Mon, 20 Feb 2017 2:25 +0000

Great photo there Decxan - can you do the forum a favour and check out the wiring to the air flow meter and let us know If it's short and goes back to the body work, or if it's long goes back to the main engine wiring loom?

Just trying to work out if the wiring will be long enough for the TRD CAI for installation on the GEN8

I have had a look at one of these but mainly the headers so I cannot remember.

Cheers

Gulfstream
Last edited by Gulfstream8 on Mon, 20 Feb 2017 3:32 +0000, edited 1 time in total.
Gulfstream8

Postby Decxan on Mon, 20 Feb 2017 3:32 +0000

The airflow meter wiring runs down towards the front of the air box and then into a loom just near the drivers side headlight.
You can just make it out in the picture. It's drops down just near the air con gas fitting in the pic.
Decxan

Postby Gulfstream8 on Mon, 20 Feb 2017 3:36 +0000

That's a bummer for the GEN 8 TRD CAI installation - it would mean either having to unwrap and see if it would reach or use high quality wire and quality soldering. Still just only a little more effort for massive bang for your bucks gains.
Gulfstream8

Postby Decxan on Mon, 20 Feb 2017 3:54 +0000

How would the TRD CAI work with a snorkel? Would the hole in the guard be the same???
Decxan

Postby Ben80 on Mon, 20 Feb 2017 5:32 +0000

It isn't on a gen 7, not sure about gen 8
Ben80

Postby Gulfstream8 on Tue, 21 Feb 2017 4:37 +0000

Decxan wrote:How would the TRD CAI work with a snorkel? Would the hole in the guard be the same???

Ben80 is correct- if you read my installation on the Gen 7 it does not line up so I can only assume the Gen 8 would be the same but I'm not 100% on this but it would not be hard to modify anyway. The main problem you have is and you will also find it in my report on the Gen 7 is that unfortunately because of their design Snorkels tend to work like a "Max Flow Venturi" and can be restrictive so you won't see the gains others like myself have not running a snorkel.
Gulfstream8

Postby Decxan on Tue, 21 Feb 2017 9:53 +0000

Bugger

I have a few more accessories before i look at power. Might just concentrate on exhaust when that time come.
Decxan

Postby v6hiluxnz on Wed, 22 Feb 2017 6:01 +0000

Well its ordered..TRD CAI P/N PTR03-35090, lets see how well she fits up to the "gen8" ended up going threw same place as u gulfstream8, toyota of dallas $404 us dollers plus shipping...plux tax...but hay intake %50 done.
v6hiluxnz

Postby v6hiluxnz on Tue, 28 Feb 2017 8:55 +0000

So I couldn't wait for my TRD CAI to turn up, should be here any day "hopefully". I thought id check out the factory Gen8 air box.

With the factory set up, you have a est 100 mm factory hole going threw the inner guard, with est 4" pipe sealing against the guard running to the inlet for the air box.

--BUT-- inside your air box the 4" inlet pipe folds over and back threw it self cutting the flow down to est 2" if you have a look you will understand what to do :)

I grinded the "top half" of the 4" pipe out in the inside of the bottom part of the air box,wile doing this you will also remove to 2" pipe that is inside the 4" pipe, clean it up wit a dremel.
Once you have done this you will see how how bad this part was restricted.

Theirs also a piece that clips to the inner air box 4" pipe with a soft foam on it that seals the air box to the inner guard.

Its got internal shaped fins that will flow air a certain way. But the center of it and all the fins take up a lot of area. I cut the internals out and cleaned it up with the dremal also."It was designed for the 2" inlet flow which we can double and make the inlet for the air box the same size as the TRD CAI :)"

Also inside the inner guard, you can get to it threw the wheel well, jack up the ute, and unclip the plastic inner guard, on the inside of the inner guard, theirs another restricting plastic pipe, its clipt to the inside of the 100 mm opening but is majorly restricted down to easy half the size of the 100 mm hole if not more.

Yank it out...

The outlet is still restricted where the sensors bolted to on the lid of the air box.
but hay you have made it free flow to that point.

Performance well I have no dyno results. Definitely grin factor when driving and the intake noise sounds f@$%N Awesome

She Can Breath :)

If any 1 is after a factory V6 Gen8 "modded" air box/factory filter 2000 km since new & pipe to throttle body mine should be up for grabs in a week max...
$300 NZ dollars plus shipping. Be a great buy if your set ups on top of your engine. Happy selling threw here or can load up on Trademe for ya

Good size cold air box with a big filter.
v6hiluxnz

Postby v6hiluxnz on Thu, 02 Mar 2017 5:20 +0000

Had a play with the front y pipe 2 day on the v6 gen8. There is 4 cats 2 on each side. With o2 sensors on both sides of the front set of cats. This ezhaust will probly only be in place for a few months...
So i unbolted the ypipe and removed the 2 rear cats. Straped on my m3 breathing mask n in got a large drill i use to hang pipe farm gates with est 20mm by 400mm long. Drilled at the internals of the cats n shock it all out.. easy as that.

Bolted back up no codes. N iv thrashed it..

Sounds good under boot. But where it goes 2in1 its restricted compaird to the size of the factory pipe. .. i think the pipe was est 56mm id. Or round 61. 62mm od whicht i recon isnt bad size for factory.

Yea so the 2in1 restricts alot and the rear muffler deffnatly is doing its factory job. It may be a bit loud if i replace the factory muffler with a free flow i dont know. I down want it 2 be loud on cruze mode, but i want it 2 flow.

Going to have 2 build from the conection back from the ypipe in 2.5" with a slielt free flow muffler im thinking. Gessing that bolwar type.
v6hiluxnz

Next

Return to Engines