2016 SR5 high Idle DPF?

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Re: 2016 SR5 high Idle DPF?

Postby Rickoo5 on Wed, 06 Jul 2016 4:49 +0000

How did you get the dandruff issue sorted?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards

Rickoo5 :)
Rickoo5

Postby Richard on Wed, 06 Jul 2016 9:06 +0000

Try Cabin Air Filters activated carbon sponge.
Richard

Postby Gulfstream8 on Thu, 07 Jul 2016 6:39 +0000

Richard wrote:Try Cabin Air Filters activated carbon sponge.

Great find there Richard on the "Cabin Air Filters Australia" - and made in Australia!

With its carbon trap filter it's perfect for the polluted roads here in Sydney! Cheers
Gulfstream8

Postby awwricecracker on Mon, 11 Jul 2016 5:44 +0000

Gulfstream8 wrote:
You just need to make a decision when purchasing a new car today and that's - if you are purchasing a DPF Diesel you have to accept you need to get out on the hi-way for a 45min drive every 2 to 3 weeks so the DPF can regenerate. If not and you are only doing short trips a Petrol maybe be more suitable for you.

This is the problem I have, it fails to regenerate when I am on the highway and if I am going anywhere, it is usually on the highway as Im a tradesperson based in a small town servicing a wide area. It seems I have to drop my speed below 100, sit in 3rd or 4th for 20 minutes and then it will regenerate, super frustrating
awwricecracker

Postby Qwerty on Mon, 11 Jul 2016 11:01 +0000

Gulfstream8 wrote:Just my 2 cents worth guys so please don't get too upset at me.

I congratulate Toyota for taking the initiative and making this a Euro 5 engine. It has been proven that Diesel particulates cause cancer. Jeremy Clarkson of all people actually reported on the massive rise in Lung Cancer in Europe after the massive rise in European Diesel car sales. It took awhile but this sparked an investigation into Diesel emissions.

Next few years there's going to start being a trend away from diesel in my mind. The genie is out of the bottle in the realisation that diesel particulate causes cancer, and as such the new US regulation and Euro regulations now require painful and restrictive / expensive treatment systems like DPF filters and/or Urea Treatment systems (adblue in the Mercedes and such).

My wife has a Mazda 6 twin turbo diesel (with a DPF) ... great torquey motor ... it can't get leg over in the US market, as they're just too strict on particulate... Mazda would have to further detune the motor and/or add expensive Urea systems (which kills the cost) ... and therefore actually pulled out of the US market entirely, leaving only their petrol variants.
The mazda DPF actually has an extra diesel injector in the DPF filter during a burn (you can hear the exhaust goes very very bassy).

Apparently they do it with an extra injector in the DPF itself (rather than flooding extra diesel through the system like earlier models did that would cause oil dilution issues & engine wear prematurely).

Not sure how the Toyota DPF system does it, they all have their different methods.

The australian market is far more forgiving (currently) on diesel.

Apparently the next Euro 6 and 7 revisions coming soon will be so strict that even DPF and Urea might not be enough, striking a big dampening in diesel viability.

It's ironic in the states in that they love their gas (petrol) guzzlers ... and aren't nearly as worried about C02 etc, as they are diesel particulate.

Probably because the particular causes cancer in humans.

Modern diesel is not the same gig as it was 10 years ago.
Qwerty

Postby easy on Thu, 14 Jul 2016 1:07 +0000

I'm in Broome and having the same issues, that's how I came upon this post. The car has only got 2500Km on the clock so hasn't been serviced yet. The engine/exhaust has a strange smell to it when doing the idle up thing. Seems it is how it works though.
easy

Postby Festus uk on Thu, 14 Jul 2016 2:49 +0000

We have had DPF on hilux over here since 2012 , not had any issues or heard of any with the toyota system that has a injector in the exhaust manifold , the VW system operates the normal injectors on the exhaust stroke and if the DPF is blocked they suffer bore wash and oil dilution which screws the engine :cry: ,
The two things to watch along with giving the thing long enough to regen is Low ash oil( C2 spec)..
if there is a problem showing blockage, be sure to check the pipes to and from the presure sensor for restriction , if these are plugged then the ECU thinks the dpf is restricted and needs to regen and it will constanty try causing high fuel consumption and over heating damage to the CAT and DPF...
oh and to cheer you guys up the latest hilux now here in the UK is euro 6+ and has adblue as well as a dpf!!!
This system injects urea into the exhaust which turns the noX gases to nitrogen and water ...
Festus uk

Postby Rickoo5 on Thu, 14 Jul 2016 6:58 +0000

Thay don't worry about DPF in Some places. https://www.facebook.com/truckfail/post ... 7355122216

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards

Rickoo5

Postby Gulfstream8 on Sun, 17 Jul 2016 10:08 +0000

Hello Qwerty - yes you are correct the problem is very serious!

Unfortunalty the push in Europe towards Diesels has created a massive public health problem. Investigations have also uncovered systematic government failures and car company corruption.

It is estimated in England alone Diesel powered vehicles account for 30,000 to 40,000 cancer related deaths per year so DPF or what ever it takes must be done. England has one of the worlds highest Deisel to population statistics.

While per LT a Diesel preduces less green house gases than equivalent petrol engine - the Diesel emits 4 times the amount of Nitrogen Dioxide and this is poisonous to hummus then you have a massive 22 times the amount of Particulates more than a Petrol engine. It is these particulates that casue Lung Cancer, Brain Cancer and Heart Failure.

The Government of France took the extraordinary step last year and admitted it was a mistake to sign the Kyoto agreement which backed the Diesel engine change over via Taxation sweetners etc. It was also discovered that the European car companies put massive pressure on European Govs to go the Diesel route while the USA and Aisa want to go full electric or Hybrid, remember European car companies did not have this Tech at that stage. It was also discover that the European car companies managed to get themselves onto the European board which controls or sets pollution standards for vehicles - so to put this into prospective its like saying the Cigarette companies were setting world Heath standards for their Cigarettes.

The quotes that are now coming out from arse covering politicians around the world are breathtaking - "well we had to look at reducing green house emissions at all costs as this could end the world". Translation = "better to kill hundreds of thousands of people now than kill millions maybe possibly in the future". The fact is Eurpean car companies (mainly German) and companies like Bosch selling Diesel Tech to other countries made billions out of this forced move to Diesels on the back of some very dodgy pollution standards and agreements like Kyoto etc.

Guys I'm not bashing the Diesel I'm cranky at the total lack of respect for your health by these multinational car companies that can do much much better than looking at their fat pay.

My wife is an Oncologist (Cancer Doctor) and I hear every day tragic stories of men in there 40's and 50's with a family that have been diagnosed with Lung or Brain Cancer and their only exposure is Truck Driving, Tractors, Diesel Forklifts in a confined warehouse etc.

Pleas don't be tempted in removing your DPF for the reasons above but also for the fact the higher the injection pressure gets on these mordern Diesels the finer the particulates are so its more and more important to keep your DPF.

Just my 2 cents worth and I'm not bashing the Diesel - just please don't be tempted to remove your DPF. I will say it again "I commend Toyota for making the lastest Hilux Diesel Euro 5 and installing DPF while other manufactures continue to ignor our health and our lives for profit"

Cheers
Gulfstream8

Postby Verygreen on Tue, 19 Jul 2016 9:24 +0000

to Gulfstream8,

I hope not to go thru the same problem I had with a Forester diesel. (had I known the Hilux employ the DPF I would not buy it. I only just picked it up a few days ago)

Experience with the Forester diesel.....
The DPF cleaned the exhaust really well. The muffler tips were so clean its amazing. The problem was Subaru computer was cr##p. It did not allow owners to carry out forced regeneration, making it inconvenient and unsafe to drive.

So my problem is, if the manufacturer decided to employ this DPF, make sure it's work right. Let the customer know the right information before they make their decision. Otherwise we are just going to kill each other (ie people stuck with car/ute and have to fix issue with the DPF delete).

I hope my Hilux will carry regeneration by itself without going to limp mode (think about a family trip in the middle of nowhere). I don't care about extra fuel as long as the regeneration programme is working.

safe driving to all.
Smiley
Verygreen

Postby Joukowski on Wed, 20 Jul 2016 9:21 +0000

The regen for Hilux is automatically and requires no input from the driver. The driver has no control when and where a regen is done. The Hilux makes this decision for you.

Mine occurs about every 400km's and there's no change to performance. You just hear a different exhaust note.
Joukowski

Postby Richard on Wed, 20 Jul 2016 11:34 +0000

Joukowski wrote:The regen for Hilux is automatically and requires no input from the driver. The driver has no control when and where a regen is done. The Hilux makes this decision for you.

Mine occurs about every 400km's and there's no change to performance. You just hear a different exhaust note.

That's the way mate, good to see another member doesn't have a need to get all sad cow over the issue.
Richard

Postby Verygreen on Wed, 20 Jul 2016 8:56 +0000

Joukowski wrote:The regen for Hilux is automatically and requires no input from the driver. The driver has no control when and where a regen is done. The Hilux makes this decision for you.

joukowski,

I do hope my hilux will do what you've described above.

If the regeneration is as you've said why is the hilux of the gentlemen who started this discussion is having so much trouble????????
Verygreen

Postby Ryan1kd on Wed, 20 Jul 2016 9:04 +0000

It is as he describes, faultless so far. Hardly notice it exists.
Ryan1kd

Postby Rickoo5 on Thu, 21 Jul 2016 8:09 +0000

IS IT OK TO TURN OFF THE VEHICLE WHILE IT IS DOING THE BURN OFF?
Regards

Rickoo5

Postby Ryan1kd on Thu, 21 Jul 2016 8:34 +0000

Yes, just go about your daily routine like it doesn't even exist. It will manage it.
Ryan1kd

Postby Joukowski on Thu, 21 Jul 2016 9:42 +0000

Verygreen wrote:joukowski,

I do hope my hilux will do what you've described above.

If the regeneration is as you've said why is the hilux of the gentlemen who started this discussion is having so much trouble????????

I hear you, I like to know if he ever got this resolved too. Mine seems to regen ok on the Highway, I just hear a different exhaust note. And the usual fuel consumption goes up 1-2 L/100km. I've got the Auto version & my idle rev's remains norma.
Joukowski

Postby telliscope on Thu, 21 Jul 2016 10:05 +0000

Mine will regen every 300 - 400km/s which majority is stop/start city driving. Regen doesn't bother me, idles up a little and does it job. Have switched engine off while doing regen and starts back up next time the car is warm.
REDHEAD AND STOCKTON BEACH TRIP - Youtube https://youtu.be/WbNIu4Zx-eA

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfnkVp ... Heu1_Xd34w
telliscope

Postby Qwerty on Thu, 21 Jul 2016 12:39 +0000

Rickoo5 wrote:IS IT OK TO TURN OFF THE VEHICLE WHILE IT IS DOING THE BURN OFF?

In many vehicles this has been the cause of dpf issues, not completing , grtting clogged etc.

It'd be smarter of manufacturers to come out of darkness and make the system and its needs known to the driver so we can better manage it, but they make as little comment as possible because they know dpf and adblue is indeed a burden and changes the dynamics of diesel longevity, management and cost.

In Wifeys diesel (twin turbo) you can hear the exhaust but also an icon next to the engine logo on the fuel management page goes out showing that skyactiv isn't available. It's still not advertised by the maker but I've worked that out.

It also turns off the brake harvesting charge to the capacitor.

We tend to leave engine running if she's doing a burn , or if still driving, then hold a gear to keep Rpm above two grand. (Hers redlines at 5500rpm , high for a diesel)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Qwerty

Postby barn on Thu, 10 Nov 2016 9:46 +0000

Mine is having problems with the regen. I have left it high idling for2 hours at a time and driven it down the highway in 3rd gear at 3500rpm for half an hour until eventually the screen told me to take to the dealer. I took it in on Tuesday and they tried to make it do a regen which didn't work. They pulled the injector out and cleaned it and it was ok for 2 days. Now it has gone into another regen which I let go on for an hour and a half. I have to take it back to the dealer again tomorrow. I don't believe I am doing anything wrong, it is a fault in the vehicle. This after having it off the road for a week waiting for a starter motor to be replaced.
It's a new model so I guess they have to iron out the problems yet.
barn

PreviousNext

Return to Engines