2016 SR5 high Idle DPF?

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

Re: 2016 SR5 high Idle DPF?

Postby Juzzyjnr on Tue, 10 May 2016 7:39 +0000

I've had this problem and found its only happens if i drive with the Revs to low for that speed (manuel). I avoid it by keeping Revs above 1600 when driving. (start of peak torque). 50-60km in third 70-80km fourth 90-100km fifth and any where above 100km....well you get the picture. Hope this helps because I know it annoyed the shit outta me when I didnt know what it was...
Juzzyjnr

Postby rexs1 on Wed, 11 May 2016 10:02 +0000

I bought a new 2008 Suzuki diesel (Renault motor ) that had a DPF. It was nothing but trouble. $80.00 at dealers to regenerate it ,then have to change the oil ($80.00 for DPF full synthetic oil ) Did 250,000 kms in it. Great little 4wd but let down big time with this issue. I now have a 2WD 2011-12 hilux diesel and never had a problem with anything at all. Done 70000 on it since I bought it. All of the DPF equipped vehicles have there problems. cheers
rexs1

Postby Achop250 on Tue, 24 May 2016 7:24 +0000

I recently bought a hilux workmate turbo diesel - have been through one tank of fuel and just noticed the exact same issue - mine will rev over 1000 but only when its in idle and it seems like the fan stays on are u having the same issue ???? .. Its due for its 1000km checkup soon so ill get toyota to check it out
Achop250

Postby singlespeed on Wed, 01 Jun 2016 2:57 +0000

Qwerty wrote:DPF filters the world-over are problematic and require a lot of ongoing care.

it's a travesty.

This. After owning 1 car with DPF I have sworn off buying another diesel vehicle with one.
2014 Hilux SR5 D4D 5A Grey w/ Blk Leather

Disclaimer:
My opinion is the opposite of your opinion, even if you change your opinion to my opinion.
singlespeed

Postby Ryan1kd on Wed, 01 Jun 2016 7:00 +0000

singlespeed wrote:
Qwerty wrote:DPF filters the world-over are problematic and require a lot of ongoing care.

it's a travesty.

This. After owning 1 car with DPF I have sworn off buying another diesel vehicle with one.

What vehicle is it out of curiosity bud?
Ryan1kd

Postby Joukowski on Wed, 01 Jun 2016 9:58 +0000

Beta wrote:
awwricecracker wrote:
Beta wrote:I've done 13,000km's so far and I haven't noticed a burnoff yet, I've done a few long trips and when towing the boat (solid 3t :? ) it probably cleans everything out !!

out of interest, is yours a manual or auto?

it's an auto

It does the regen automatically but you just don't see a raise in rpm. You'll hear a slightly different exhaust note and it adds about 2L/100km to your fuel consumption when that happens.
Joukowski

Postby warnzie on Wed, 15 Jun 2016 10:05 +0000

In relation to the high idle...mine started doing it since here in QLD the weather has turned cold in the mornings...i just assumed it was the auto choke or something but always noticed since it started doing it my dpf would be doing its thing so much more often - like 3-5 times a week and i drive mostly highway. I know when its doing a regen as i have the snorkel and yeah you can hear it when its doing it...almost to the point "are we ready for take off"!!!

Obviously my fuel usage has been alot higher - 11 - 11.5 from around 10..yep i have the auto :(

So dropped it off to the dealer for its 10,000km service and told them about it and you wont believe what he did straight away...pressed the idle up switch...it looks like it has been on since ive taken deliver of my ute cause i have never touched or been near it? and the worst thing is there is no light on the dash to tell you if its on or not :oops:

So there you go...true story
warnzie

Postby warnzie on Wed, 15 Jun 2016 10:08 +0000

oh and forgot to mention apparently he has had a few with same problem hence why he knew what to do straight up...apparently dealers are forgetting to switch off. Also it will clog dpf up quicker hence why it was regening itself so often. Hope this helps others and will see how mine goes now
warnzie

Postby heavymental on Wed, 15 Jun 2016 10:13 +0000

warnzie wrote:oh and forgot to mention apparently he has had a few with same problem hence why he knew what to do straight up...apparently dealers are forgetting to switch off. Also it will clog dpf up quicker hence why it was regening itself so often. Hope this helps others and will see how mine goes now

I've tried my idle up button and it doesn't do anything !! Might have to query it with the dealer. Mates one also doesn't work. Maybe we don't need it in w.a?? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
heavymental

Postby berniecam on Wed, 15 Jun 2016 6:38 +0000

heavymental wrote:
warnzie wrote:oh and forgot to mention apparently he has had a few with same problem hence why he knew what to do straight up...apparently dealers are forgetting to switch off. Also it will clog dpf up quicker hence why it was regening itself so often. Hope this helps others and will see how mine goes now

I've tried my idle up button and it doesn't do anything !! Might have to query it with the dealer. Mates one also doesn't work. Maybe we don't need it in w.a?? :)

Hi "heavymental" I may be dead wrong about this, however I noticed the same thing you speak of but when the engine is up to working temperature mine does not have any effect either , when you start the engine & it is cold hit the idle up & it works fine I am thinking that the ECU turns off the idle up when engine is at working temperature regardless of switch position. You could fit an LED into one of the spare plug holes to tell when idle up switch is on, on the back of the switch it has four wires going into it, blue is for dash illumination of switch, white with a black trace is earth for the illumination ,green has power when ign is on ,& red only has power when switch is turned on connect an LED to this & earth so when you turn on idle up the LED will glow ( Do not use an indicator light with a filament) best thing about LEDs they will only pass current one way so they cannot feed earth back through the switch I have a little more experimenting to do but think I may be on the right track. ;)
berniecam

Postby heavymental on Thu, 16 Jun 2016 12:32 +0000

berniecam wrote:
heavymental wrote:

Hi "heavymental" I may be dead wrong about this, however I noticed the same thing you speak of but when the engine is up to working temperature mine does not have any effect either , when you start the engine & it is cold hit the idle up & it works fine I am thinking that the ECU turns off the idle up when engine is at working temperature regardless of switch position. You could fit an LED into one of the spare plug holes to tell when idle up switch is on, on the back of the switch it has four wires going into it, blue is for dash illumination of switch, white with a black trace is earth for the illumination ,green has power when ign is on ,& red only has power when switch is turned on connect an LED to this & earth so when you turn on idle up the LED will glow ( Do not use an indicator light with a filament) best thing about LEDs they will only pass current one way so they cannot feed earth back through the switch I have a little more experimenting to do but think I may be on the right track. ;)
i shall try after work :) cheers. From what I've read it should work no matter what . For example if you were off-road and wanted to run a whinch you'd get the revs higher or crawl at a faster pace. I'll see how it goes.

heavymental

Postby gnomeo on Thu, 16 Jun 2016 4:52 +0000

I've noticed idle up only works below a certain air temp and does not work "in gear" or "drive" . Not sure what that temp is but I believe it's somewhere south of 20° C. I've done a fair bit of testing to come to this conclusion
gnomeo

Postby berniecam on Thu, 16 Jun 2016 6:17 +0000

gnomeo wrote:I've noticed idle up only works below a certain air temp and does not work "in gear" or "drive" . Not sure what that temp is but I believe it's somewhere south of 20° C. I've done a fair bit of testing to come to this conclusion

Hi "gnomeo" I agree wholeheartedly with you, not sure at what temp is for cut out, I did some more experimenting to day idle can be switched on or off when engine is not up to running temperature but when it is idle up will not turn on it must be getting turned off by the ECU regardless of switch position may be there is a way to turn it on with techstream or some other system its a mystery :o CHEERS.
berniecam

Postby MarkTGood on Thu, 16 Jun 2016 7:43 +0000

I'm pretty certain the owners manual states what the air temp limit is for the idle up. I just can't be assed getting it out of the car

Edit. I just found it on page 355. It doesn't mention the temperature. Just says it operates in cold weather
.I have found that It stops when the engine is at operating temperature.
MarkTGood

Postby heavymental on Fri, 17 Jun 2016 8:37 +0000

MarkTGood wrote:I'm pretty certain the owners manual states what the air temp limit is for the idle up. I just can't be assed getting it out of the car

Edit. I just found it on page 355. It doesn't mention the temperature. Just says it operates in cold weather
.I have found that It stops when the engine is at operating temperature.

Guess it's just too warm in w.a ... And in the garages I park :). Have yet to witness the idle up button work.

heavymental

Postby heavymental on Sat, 18 Jun 2016 9:52 +0000

Woohoo idle up worked this morning :). And stopped once engine reached temp. Thanks !

heavymental

Postby Gulfstream8 on Tue, 05 Jul 2016 6:33 +0000

Just my 2 cents worth guys so please don't get too upset at me.

I congratulate Toyota for taking the initiative and making this a Euro 5 engine. It has been proven that Diesel particulates cause cancer. Jeremy Clarkson of all people actually reported on the massive rise in Lung Cancer in Europe after the massive rise in European Diesel car sales. It took awhile but this sparked an investigation into Diesel emissions.

The removal of DPF is not only illegal and could cost a massive fine but I find it ironic that people get upset if someone is smoking near their children (I hate smoking) but have no concerns about a Diesel engine puffing out 2.8 Lts of air full of particulates 1,000 X more than one human can smoke.

If you care about your health and care about the health of the people around you please don't remove your DPF

You just need to make a decision when purchasing a new car today and that's - if you are purchasing a DPF Diesel you have to accept you need to get out on the hi-way for a 45min drive every 2 to 3 weeks so the DPF can regenerate. If not and you are only doing short trips a Petrol maybe be more suitable for you.
Gulfstream8

Postby Moose_ on Tue, 05 Jul 2016 7:47 +0000

has this been linked to the extra turbo noise that happens sometimes?

my 2.8 doesn't really idle up noticeably, but i can hear the turbo spooling alot more. At idle you can really hear it spinning away, but also while driving, there is noticeably more induction noise and turbo flutter when lifting the throttle. almost as if it is running more boost than normal?

at the same time this is happening, the engine has a more throaty sound. I'm assuming this is to do with the EGR system?

i do alot of highway driving, and the above scenario would happen at least every couple of days
Moose_

Postby EKJ on Tue, 05 Jul 2016 11:00 +0000

About every 300km ,or three times on 1000km on my 2015 3.0 D4d Euro 5 lux. I think this is a minimum, it does it more often after much city driving or idling.
EKJ

Postby Richard on Wed, 06 Jul 2016 4:24 +0000

First time mine did it at a set of lights, I knew what it was and it hasn't worried me since as it's just a part of a normal operating procedure of the vehicle, similar to when it goes "beep" when put into reverse, that doesn't worry me either. :roll:

(What did worry me was the dandruff being blown around the interior from the air-con filter, got that sorted though). :)

Thanks for the info Gulfstream.
Richard

PreviousNext

Return to Engines