New Hilux Emissions Control System

Turbo, Manifolds, Exhaust, Intercooler, Internals etc

New Hilux Emissions Control System

Postby 2468bidw on Wed, 24 Feb 2016 5:04 +0000

G'day all, the issue of the EGR etc on the 1KD are extensively & passionately documented. I hear that the new Diesel engine includes a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). People I know driving some pretty premium Euro brands have had some quite expensive experiences with their DPFs.

Can anyone give a rundown of the emissions control measures on the new diesel engines?

Cheers
2468bidw

Re: New Hilux Emissions Control System

Postby nicebike on Wed, 24 Feb 2016 5:49 +0000

2468bidw wrote:G'day all, the issue of the EGR etc on the 1KD are extensively & passionately documented. I hear that the new Diesel engine includes a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). People I know driving some pretty premium Euro brands have had some quite expensive experiences with their DPFs.

Can anyone give a rundown of the emissions control measures on the new diesel engines?

Cheers

In Aus., the new Hilux is Euro 5. I don't know of any Euro 5 compliant diesels that do not have a DPF.

What else is done to achieve Euro 5 I do not know.
nicebike

Re: New Hilux Emissions Control System

Postby The Electrician on Thu, 25 Feb 2016 3:53 +0000

I hope this would help!

• DPF (diesel particulate filter) - used to accumulation and combustion of soot particles.

1 - injector, 2 - glow plug, 3 - air flow meter, 4 - turbocharger, 5 - exhaust fuel addition injector, 6 - oxidation catalyst (DOC), 7 - differential pressure sensor, 8 - diesel particulate filter (DPF), 9 - exhaust gas temperature sensor 1, 10 - exhaust gas temperature sensor 2, 11 - exhaust gas temperature sensor 3, 12 - glow plug controller, 13 - coolant temperature sensor, 14 - ECM, 15 - combination meter, 16 - air fuel ratio sensor, 17 - CAN bus (V) .

DPF passive regeneration can be performed by itself under the condition of exhaust gases high temperature. However, over time the amount of soot in the filter is increased and its capacity is reduced which requires active regeneration. The control unit determines clogging of the filter by analysis of driving conditions, and activates injectors, the exhaust injector, glow plugs and controls the engine speed. The DPF material temperature increases and soot particles burn out.
But if driving conditions do not allow to perform active regeneration automatically for a long time, soot accumulation may exceed the specified limits, so then the ECU illuminates DPF warning lamp, offering the driver to move at a constant speed above 60 km/h to perform active regeneration. When the maximum level of soot accumulation exceeded the warning lamp flashes, offering the driver to go to the workshop to perform regeneration in the manual mode. Finally, in order to avoid damage to the DPF, ECU activates fail-safe mode with limited engine power output.
HiLux has optional switch of manual mode regeneration.

Source: http://toyota-club.net/files/faq/15-10- ... ne_eng.htm
The Electrician

Return to Engines